No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Eating wild violets [Re: loosanarrow] #6499046
03/23/19 09:14 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
You are likely to have an upset stomach and possibly vomit if you eat a salad bowl of most spring wild edible plants. The reason is that they contain such high levels of vitamin A that your body has a bad reaction to it.

If I may ask, wherever did you get such a crazy idea???

What you state has never once been true for me or my friends in 30+ years of foraging edible wild flora and fungi.

As to vitamins in edible wild foods, that varies greatly by species. One simply cannot say that "most" have any vitamin, much less "such high levels".

The seasonal variation in nutrition is indiscernible without laboratory equipment.

To assert that "most" edble wild plants will make you sick after a single serving is an epic falsehood.

How would I know?
Been foraging edible wild flora and fungi for 30+ years. Eaten 150+ species. I eat 40+ gallons of wild vegetation every year. (Mainly use gallon ZipLocs, occasionally 5 gallon buckets, when foraging. So gallons is my usual unit of measure, even for dry goods.)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: Eating wild violets [Re: Bigfoot] #6499048
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Oh, and by the way... Do you have any idea how much vitamin A it would take to have any reaction at all??? Apparently not! It is IMPOSSIBLE to get sick from a single DAY of eating AS MUCH PLANT BASED VITAMIN A as you can possibly cram down your stomach!! Much less a single serving, no matter how large.

I suggest a bit more research, and a lot less hype.

"High intake of provitamin carotenoids (such as beta-carotene) from vegetables and fruits does not cause hypervitaminosis A, as conversion from carotenoids to the active form of vitamin A is regulated by the body to maintain an optimum level of the vitamin. Carotenoids themselves cannot produce toxicity."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A

"I have not seen someone off the street who was taking a toxic level of vitamin A or D -- those are very unusual," says David Katz, MD, director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center in New Haven, CT, whose medical practice specializes in nutrition."
https://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/effects-of-taking-too-many-vitamins

"There is no upper limit for vitamin A from beta-carotene."
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/supplement-guide-vitamin-a

-Edmund Burke
-Ayn Rand
Re: Eating wild violets [Re: trapper les] #6499093
03/23/19 10:10 PM
03/23/19 10:10 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline OP
trapper
B

central Missouri
Originally Posted by trapper les
What are cowgreens ? technically ?

I really don't know i never looked them up thats just what my grandma and mom called them when we were picking them.Ill poke around a little

Re: Eating wild violets [Re: Bigfoot] #6499100
03/23/19 10:26 PM
03/23/19 10:26 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
I have them cow parsnips here, and I know exactly what they are. They are abundant too.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: Eating wild violets [Re: Bigfoot] #6499131
03/23/19 11:01 PM
03/23/19 11:01 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline OP
trapper
B

central Missouri
I asked mom she said another name was crowsfoot but that dosn"t get a picture of the plant on google .the cow parsnips dont look right either

Re: Eating wild violets [Re: Bigfoot] #6499369
03/24/19 10:01 AM
03/24/19 10:01 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Not to steal the thread.. but anyone ever use the roots from the corn lilies? or at least that is what I always called them. Think maybe day lillies?? Every farm and old home around here seems to have some somewhere on the place. Wife has a bunch of them in the yard here came from my parents place. I heard sometime back that the old timers used the roots for the vitamin C??? I never looked into it but heard it was why they were so common on all old farms. Was told some old timers made a flour from dried roots to use over winter.
Any one know anything about that?

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Eating wild violets [Re: Bigfoot] #6500738
03/25/19 02:21 PM
03/25/19 02:21 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Unfamiliar with "corn lilies". Common names often refer to several species, usually different ones in different regions.

Roots are generally used for their starches. Typically fruits and leaves are higher in vitamin C than roots, but we really have to look at each species to be sure. Flour from dried and ground roots is a common practice across many species. Historically mixed with wheat flour. The purpose was to make the often times scarce and expensive wheat flour last longer. Also because most other flours lack gluten, which binds things together.

I have eaten the flowers of (common, original, orange) daylily, Hemerocallis fulva and yellow daylily, H. lilioasphodelus. Nice tang to 'em. Have separated the very fine fibers in the leaves for cordage. Retting worked much better than scraping for me.

https://honest-food.net/dining-on-daylilies/

www.eattheweeds.com/daylily-just-cloning-around-2/

https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/how-to-sustainably-harvest-daylilies-zbcz1307

https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=HEMER

Hope that helps!

-Edmund Burke
-Ayn Rand
Re: Eating wild violets [Re: Bigfoot] #6501601
03/26/19 11:27 AM
03/26/19 11:27 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
Thanks DuxDawg
Wife informed me ours are a type of Day lilies some call corn, some call ditch lilies. I dug some of the ones I have in my yard form my parents house. OOnce they get going they spread like a weed. I'm pretty sure my mother got them from my grand mother and they originally came from farm my grand mother grew up on. So their and old line been around for awhile what ever they are?? I've even give the bulbs to others who now have them growing in their yards.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: Eating wild violets [Re: Bigfoot] #6570378
07/08/19 09:49 PM
07/08/19 09:49 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R