No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531315
05/04/19 10:39 AM
05/04/19 10:39 AM
Arizona
O
oldtrapper Offline
trapper
oldtrapper  Offline
trapper
O

Arizona
Absolutely Not!

If you have extra cash invest in real estate.
Get some gold coins...
And spend the rest....

Here's what my father always said;

" It's only money, pigs won't eat it and you can't take it with you..."

Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531323
05/04/19 10:59 AM
05/04/19 10:59 AM
Arizona
O
oldtrapper Offline
trapper
oldtrapper  Offline
trapper
O

Arizona
Absolutely Not!

If you have extra cash invest in real estate.
Get some gold coins...
And spend the rest....

Here's what my father always said;

" It's only money, pigs won't eat it and you can't take it with you..."

Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531333
05/04/19 11:25 AM
05/04/19 11:25 AM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
I trust banks more than I trust corporations, especially when it comes to investments and ease of access of my funds.
What I mean is with old school savings accounts, the money is there in the bank and it is yours.... with 401Ks and all that, the money is only numbers on a statement that might be yours if you live long enough to collect it all because if you try to get it early, you can forget that...

So needless to say, no investments for me smile

Of interest, I am from Germany, where through my mothers side the family tree goes way back to the 1600s.

Prior to WWII my grandparents and great grandparents on my mothers side were wealthy landowners and had a huge farm.
If you like more food for thought - this website was actually created by the current owners of the property, which today is I believe a part of Poland: http://ciekocinko.pl/de/majatek-ciekocinko/
My grandfather can be seen on one of his many horses, they also did big hunts, and I believe he was also raising hunting dogs as well... it's a fascinating website, but it's all in either Polish of German, and today where the farm once was - is a hotel which kept the original buildings in tact or had them fully restored.

I can go visit anytime I want for free, since I am a direct relative of the original land owners - anyway - where I am going with this is during I believe either WWI or perhaps just prior to the 1930s, things were very bad - to the point where German currency was absolutely worthless.

Did not matter how much you had anywhere - it was worth nothing.

My mother has a story of a person trading [back then..] a 100 year old violin for a sack of potatoes which my grandfather grew.

So, the lesson I learned is it's a good idea to have things of value once the currency market collapses, and if you think it's can't or won't happen here in the States, well... the Germans felt the same way once upon a time as well....

During WWII my grandfather was overjoyed hearing the U.S. military heading there way - but they never made it.
The Russians instead took the farm, killed all the animals, and destroyed most of the buildings while my mother and her family was in hiding.
My grandfather did get caught and wound up in a Russian Camp - but he was released, after becoming quite sick.

It's amazing to think how much my relatives in Germany once had, and how they lost it all except for a few very very old paintings.
It's even more astonishing how much they maintained their dignity throughout.

Whenever my mom hears about those here in the States on welfare complaining about how bad they have it, she replies "5 years of hard starvation would put a stop to that" and this is a sentiment I fully agree with.

So, I do trust banks - but the problem becomes what happens if your country falls upon hard times or is taken over ??
Nothing can save your money then - unless it is in foreign currency overseas somewhere.....

I suppose gold coins come to mind, but when times are real bad - what can you do with them besides hang on to them and hope for better times ??

I'm also told that when things got real bad - that same violin which was traded for a sack of potatoes - would be played, as my grandfather was a firm believer in hearing music.

So, yeah check out that website - it goes to show exactly what can be lost when times get real real bad....... your money is worthless, and your property is seized, and before you ask... yes they had lots of hunting rifles - but no match for Soviet tanks frown frown frown

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531342
05/04/19 11:57 AM
05/04/19 11:57 AM
Brazil Indiana
H
harrison72 Offline
trapper
harrison72  Offline
trapper
H

Brazil Indiana
I got scared a few years ago and went ahead and withdrew my entire $34.26!

Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531372
05/04/19 01:16 PM
05/04/19 01:16 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Your skills are your greatest asset,that cannot be taken away.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Boco] #6531448
05/04/19 05:09 PM
05/04/19 05:09 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
A huge minority or maybe a majority of Americans must feel that saving money is not a safe thing to do as we read where millions don't have a week or two of available funds for typical expenses and on here I read where most post they don't trust banks of investment firms. Pretty dark way to live a life of 70-90 years believing that everyone i out to get you either through charging too much for what you buy, not following through with agreements or if you save money, some one or some firm will work to embezzle your funds. I don't find most firms to be more dishonest than individuals so I save and invest and put funds into assets that I can move quickly if needed. Does not say much for those that worked all their lives and put monies away to live on after their earning days are over. I guess that fear may be one reason many only have a small nest egg other than SS as the government does pay one based on past earnings and to date have not taken away SS. Down the road if these funds fall on hard times we will have millions more in poverty as they age.

I have not found much advantage to put 10 dollars a week in a PVC pipe 40 years ago and pull it out today hoping that those dollars have kept up with the changes in our world.

Bryce

Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531493
05/04/19 07:00 PM
05/04/19 07:00 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Its not so much I think all people are crooks but there is other reasons to be careful, such as just plain old negligent, not responsible, or not reliable. I don't think everyone is a Bernard Madoff, or a Jim and Tammy Baker team. Nor do I think every religious group and little church has a Jim Jones for a leader. At the same time I don't think it hurts to educate yourself in what to watch for.
Seems the Wallstreet people should be an elete people who should be respected instead of looked down upon. How could a bunch of bankers and market people even fathom the irresponsibility of running the ship aground by loaning out a bunch of money when they knew they was already underwater and there was no way that once their was a turn(even a small one) that working people could repay those loans. I hope it was irresponsible and not a premeditated thing. Whichever it was, I think most of us are judged on past performance and even the elete shouldn't be held less accountable. Greed at whatever level is a dangerous thing. The Hunt brothers thought they could monopolize the silver market and certainly did make a splash only to fall under their own weight.
I remember when it was advocated people sign off on social security and use the market as their retirement tool. Well what happens when you get in a bear market for a few years right when you're ready to retire. Plus the general public only know to buy and seldom short the market even when their crystal ball tells them to.

I certainly don't think it hurts to have some fall back plan at hand for when (lets say the 500 yr flood thing hits) Whether its storms, electric outages or whatever. If the institutions have no computer they are shut down and so is Walmart. So you need someway to ride the storms of life and they will happen. Whether some idiot decides to take out a few power plants or just mother nature doing her thing.

Keep your eye on the crystal ball and your eye on the pea in the shell game.

Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Boco] #6531516
05/04/19 07:52 PM
05/04/19 07:52 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by Boco
Your skills are your greatest asset,that cannot be taken away.

That's a fact, Jack!
Just look at Bear Grylls! He can survive on his own pee! And I refuse to buy anything Gerber makes because of him.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531548
05/04/19 08:51 PM
05/04/19 08:51 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
What happens when a musician gets his fingers caught in a door. Maybe he don't lose his skill, but might have to sit out a couple gigs, lol.

Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Foxpaw] #6531564
05/04/19 09:11 PM
05/04/19 09:11 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by Foxpaw
What happens when a musician gets his fingers caught in a door. Maybe he don't lose his skill, but might have to sit out a couple gigs, lol.

I know a keyboard player that stuck his hand under a lawnmower (I don't know why!) He had to learn to wipe his butt with his left hand.....he said that was weird.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Big George W] #6531584
05/04/19 09:28 PM
05/04/19 09:28 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Big George W
I trust banks more than I trust corporations, especially when it comes to investments and ease of access of my funds.
What I mean is with old school savings accounts, the money is there in the bank and it is yours.... with 401Ks and all that, the money is only numbers on a statement that might be yours if you live long enough to collect it all because if you try to get it early, you can forget that...

So needless to say, no investments for me smile

Of interest, I am from Germany, where through my mothers side the family tree goes way back to the 1600s.

Prior to WWII my grandparents and great grandparents on my mothers side were wealthy landowners and had a huge farm.
If you like more food for thought - this website was actually created by the current owners of the property, which today is I believe a part of Poland: http://ciekocinko.pl/de/majatek-ciekocinko/
My grandfather can be seen on one of his many horses, they also did big hunts, and I believe he was also raising hunting dogs as well... it's a fascinating website, but it's all in either Polish of German, and today where the farm once was - is a hotel which kept the original buildings in tact or had them fully restored.

I can go visit anytime I want for free, since I am a direct relative of the original land owners - anyway - where I am going with this is during I believe either WWI or perhaps just prior to the 1930s, things were very bad - to the point where German currency was absolutely worthless.

Did not matter how much you had anywhere - it was worth nothing.

My mother has a story of a person trading [back then..] a 100 year old violin for a sack of potatoes which my grandfather grew.

So, the lesson I learned is it's a good idea to have things of value once the currency market collapses, and if you think it's can't or won't happen here in the States, well... the Germans felt the same way once upon a time as well....

During WWII my grandfather was overjoyed hearing the U.S. military heading there way - but they never made it.
The Russians instead took the farm, killed all the animals, and destroyed most of the buildings while my mother and her family was in hiding.
My grandfather did get caught and wound up in a Russian Camp - but he was released, after becoming quite sick.

It's amazing to think how much my relatives in Germany once had, and how they lost it all except for a few very very old paintings.
It's even more astonishing how much they maintained their dignity throughout.

Whenever my mom hears about those here in the States on welfare complaining about how bad they have it, she replies "5 years of hard starvation would put a stop to that" and this is a sentiment I fully agree with.

So, I do trust banks - but the problem becomes what happens if your country falls upon hard times or is taken over ??
Nothing can save your money then - unless it is in foreign currency overseas somewhere.....

I suppose gold coins come to mind, but when times are real bad - what can you do with them besides hang on to them and hope for better times ??

I'm also told that when things got real bad - that same violin which was traded for a sack of potatoes - would be played, as my grandfather was a firm believer in hearing music.

So, yeah check out that website - it goes to show exactly what can be lost when times get real real bad....... your money is worthless, and your property is seized, and before you ask... yes they had lots of hunting rifles - but no match for Soviet tanks frown frown frown

Weimar Republic (Germany) after WWI... There are pictures of people burning stacks of money to keep warm... That was all it was good for.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531588
05/04/19 09:30 PM
05/04/19 09:30 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
I have long believed in having a piece of land and the roof over your head paid off and enough land to feed your self anything more is gravy.

Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Foxpaw] #6531591
05/04/19 09:34 PM
05/04/19 09:34 PM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by Foxpaw

I know your joking but said musician should have insurance on his hands.

No Jab.
Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: danvee] #6531596
05/04/19 09:42 PM
05/04/19 09:42 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline OP
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline OP
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted by danvee
I have long believed in having a piece of land and the roof over your head paid off and enough land to feed your self anything more is gravy.

A wise belief system to have.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531639
05/04/19 10:14 PM
05/04/19 10:14 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Trouble with that is,when you buy land you don't actually own it outright.
Stop paying taxes,or if the gov't wants it(eminent domain) its gone.

Last edited by Boco; 05/04/19 10:16 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531679
05/04/19 11:17 PM
05/04/19 11:17 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline OP
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline OP
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
That's true, you're always gonna pay property tax. And in a best case scenario the gov could come in hand you some cash and force you to sell them your land and property.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: danvee] #6531750
05/05/19 07:31 AM
05/05/19 07:31 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by danvee

if you think you have paid off your land and home, and believe it is all yours, don't pay your taxes at the end of the year and see what happens.

For the record, I agree it should be ours when we have completed the sale and THE TAX ON THE SALE IS PAID.

-Goofy-
Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531826
05/05/19 09:15 AM
05/05/19 09:15 AM
Crivitz WI
Sprung & Rusty Offline
trapper
Sprung & Rusty  Offline
trapper

Crivitz WI
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
That's true, you're always gonna pay property tax. And in a best case scenario the gov could come in hand you some cash and force you to sell them your land and property.

Technically they don't even have to give you anything for it. Anything we buy with fiat currency technically isn't ours and we never really own it. Our fiat currency is owned by the federal reserve and it's nothing more than a promisary note to be paid back with interest.

No Jab.
Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531929
05/05/19 11:40 AM
05/05/19 11:40 AM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
As a former electric bass guitar player for 25 years, all it took was breaking up a dog fight [my dog got attacked...] to loose speed and dexterity in my left hand, which while not losing use of my left hand, put the kabash on electric bass playing as I once knew it so yes, skills are good, health even better.

Mike, Somewhere I have a 500,000 mark note, that is worthless... as you mentioned - good for starting a fire with perhaps.... although I really like the way it looks, and the history behind it.

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: Can banks be trusted? [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6531931
05/05/19 11:45 AM
05/05/19 11:45 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
The over inflation of real estate values works out well for the banks and taxers.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread