Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: fresh beaver casters ...question [Re: DanielE] #652878
03/27/08 08:54 AM
03/27/08 08:54 AM

C
CHICKEN OP
Unregistered
CHICKEN OP
Unregistered
C

Originally Posted By: Daniel Edinger
I used castor yesterday that was inside a beaver the day before.

Had beavers flopping in snares this morning....

you are soooooooo cool!!! ;\)

Re: fresh beaver casters ...question [Re: ] #652925
03/27/08 09:28 AM
03/27/08 09:28 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
There are several ways to process castors to lure grade use. From simple preparation to more complex formulating. The important thing to do is to clean the castors and oil sacs of all remaining tissue, fat and membrane as best you can. As this material in even small amounts at times can and does change the final odor result.Genuine clean castor will last a longgg time but rough cut castors will spoil/sour draw bugs etc. and cause some undesirable results in a formula due to their odor change.

I prefer a surface dried finished product before processing. At this time you can also remove any distinquishable undesirable waste left on them more easily.From this point you can do as you wish with them.Freeze, grind, scrape etc.Freeze and label is what I do until use. Others that have a specific formuation purpose I will grind,preserve and let age until needed.

It is a wise practice to stir your ground and preserved material occasionally to allow better contact with your preserving slurry. Most materials expand and compress after grinding to some degree. Intermitent stirring ensures good contact with all the material and will prevent dead spots in your mix.

If all components are clean,well blended and then preserved properly, just about any combination can be achieved to develop a desired end result odor.

Preserving and stopping is extremely important to maintain and sustain good quality of your product.If done right it will last forever in a sealed container.

Re: fresh beaver casters ...question [Re: Bob Jameson] #654184
03/27/08 09:39 PM
03/27/08 09:39 PM
Bemidji, MN
J
Jacks Offline
trapper
Jacks  Offline
trapper
J

Bemidji, MN
ttt