No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Inexpensive cattle tank I made [Re: WadeRyan] #6565597
06/30/19 07:53 PM
06/30/19 07:53 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Originally Posted by SGT. C
They make great deer stands as well. I make mine 3 or 4 high. And the container make for compost bins, firewood bins, dog houses, and rainwater collection. Sarge

Interesting I'd like to see the deer stand. They are everywhere here and often people give them away. At most $30-40 a piece.

I will try and walk you through it. Lets start with the 3 high model. It fits well in the bed of a full size pickup for transporting.
I take the first two and remove everything, The third one just remove the container(some leave them in). take the stripped cages and turn them upside down. The holes should mate up. I believe you will need 3/8 bolts and nuts. Take the third one and mate it up with the other two. You will need 1 1/2 inch muffler clamps to secure. Note: before mating the third to the second, I take pieces of carpet and put between the metal at various points to prevent squeaking. I cut a hole in the back side of the third cage(where you will be sitting) to gain entry. It will work and for a big fellow like me.
before mating the pieces together. I take 2x4 pt wood pieces and screw to the bottom of the third cage and add pt plywood or something similar and then add carpet to reduce noise. Mate the whole works together and stand them up. Instant deer stand( not tall but effective, about 11-12 feet at eye level) the fourth one will increase that about 3.5 feet more.
I then take and build a ladder from 4 2x4x8 pt. Cut two pieces into 20 inch pieces(or to your liking) and attach to the other 2x4's spaced 16 inches or so about(also your preference) The ladder will fit up against the third cage and sorta lock into place. Also place carport at top of ladder where contact to wood and metal occurs to prevent squeaks. I take a ratchet strap and tie ladder and stand together. If you need to anchor, tie to tree or if in a field. Take a piece or 4x4( 8 feet long) or something compatible ( I sometime use landscape timbers cut in half. drill 1/2 holes about 2-3 inches from each end and these will fit through the bottom cage and can be secured with 1/2 rebar with or without nuts welded to the top. Most of the time the stand will stay put when the ladder and cages are strapped all together.
the stand will shake a little when getting into, but it will not tip over. Add camo burlap to the sides, pipe insulation to the top rail and add a chair and hunt in comfort. A roof can be added if wanted , use your imagination.
I can make one in about 2 hours or so, once made, will last for years and easy to move if needed. I have a few that I use and have been in place for 15 years with no problems. At the end of the season, I remove the ladder. burlap, pipe insulation, chair and store them away from the elements. the rest stays put and last forever. About a month before the season I put it all back together and add a manikin (or clothes stuffed with hay and ball cap) for the deer to get used(only your head will be above the railing most of the time). Sounds funny, but I learned that trick from an ole timer and it works. Remove manikin and replace with the real thing just before your hunt, kill your deer. Hope this helps. Sarge

Last edited by SGT. C; 06/30/19 07:55 PM.

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: Inexpensive cattle tank I made [Re: SGT. C] #6565627
06/30/19 08:39 PM
06/30/19 08:39 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Thanks Sarge. We have a few just laying around on the farm I believe. Will be making good use of them shortly.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread