Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
"crash" #6678381
11/28/19 06:58 PM
11/28/19 06:58 PM
Shaktoolik, Alaska
M
Moses Offline OP
trapper
Moses  Offline OP
trapper
M

Shaktoolik, Alaska
Happy Thanksgiving guys.... hope everyones enjoying time with family and friends. About 3-4 years ago our rabbit population crashed in the area where I was setting followed by lynx and wolverines. Gotta go further n further to set for them now. Question is... how long does it usually take for numbers to go back up? And what causes the "crash" because there seems to be plenty of food for rabbits everywhere? This the first time Ive seen this happen since moving up here so thought Id bring it up. Thank you.

Re: "crash" [Re: Moses] #6678415
11/28/19 08:19 PM
11/28/19 08:19 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
It is normally a 7 year cycle., give or take a year or two.

Re: "crash" [Re: Moses] #6678538
11/28/19 11:06 PM
11/28/19 11:06 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Hello Moses, and hi to glo too. Your rabbit population lasted a long time. They were pretty high when I lived in Unk. in 2000-03. I think it will be hard to predict when they will come back. Poke around once the snow is good and you might find some pockets of bunnies and a wandering lynx or 2. Work on the beaver houses in the mean time. Beaver carcass should still bring in a wolverine. I think you have plenty of red fox. Set for them around beaver houses. Traps and/or snares.
Good Luck
MT
Alaska Trappers Assoc. has a FB page now. Might learn some things there.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman