No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Am I a.......... [Re: J.Morse] #6679131
11/29/19 07:24 PM
11/29/19 07:24 PM
AR
T
TurkeyWrangler Offline
trapper
TurkeyWrangler  Offline
trapper
T

AR
CWD is a couple counties away and who knows might actually be here by now. This has changed the way I process my deer. Since bones are one thing they don't want moving out of the cwd area and are not allowed to bring into the state I try not to mess with the bones anymore. No more ribs or neck roast. Wont touch one with a saw anymore. Just bone everything out. May not make a bit of difference but I guess it doesn't hurt anything and besides I don't really miss scrapping the tallow off the roof of my mouth after eating deer ribs.

Poor people have poor ways.
Re: Am I a.......... [Re: J.Morse] #6679184
11/29/19 08:52 PM
11/29/19 08:52 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
There are few parts of a deer that I enjoy more than a neck roast slow cooked in a crock pot.
I do not mess with the meat between the ribs of our small Virginia deer. Not enough there to feed a sick cat. The meat which lies on top of the ribs (flank meat I guess) goes into the jerky sack.
Front quarters are cut in two at the shoulder joint and the halves go in the crock pot sack. (This is as good as the neck roast!)
Hock meat goes in the jerky shack.
Hind quarters are deboned while hanging.
Only thing left for the vermin is the innards, and maybe the rib meat left over from the sick cat.

Re: Am I a.......... [Re: J.Morse] #6679235
11/29/19 09:39 PM
11/29/19 09:39 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
J.,

It is entirely possible to be a curmudgeon and be correct at the same time.

At least according to my wife anyway.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Am I a.......... [Re: Nodak63] #6679246
11/29/19 09:51 PM
11/29/19 09:51 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Originally Posted by Nodak63
I have often wondered about this. I like to get as much meat as possible but rarely get much neck meat, and never any rib meat, I have tried the ribs but seems like it was so dry after letting the skinned carcass hang for a day or two that there was nothing there. How much meat do you get from a mature deer? I had a buck field dressed weighed 170 last week. After butchering I had 37 lbs of meat. I trim it as I doing it so (there’s no scrap in it) that when it’s thawed out it doesn’t have to be trimmed and can be processed right away.

37 pounds, you've got to be kidding me! I get 45-60 pounds of boned out meat out of our little blacktails, I once got 93 pounds off a huge one.
There is no reason to leave rib, neck or any other meat; have you ever heard of burger or stew meat?
The most common thing out of state hunters are ticketed for in Alaska is wanton waste of game. You can't believe the number of times the statement is made "back where I come from we never save rib meat", that statement just digs the hole deeper since it shows they never read the game regs.
Sorry to rip on you (well not really), but you should know better.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread