No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Small river walleye discussion [Re: pcr2] #6843942
04/15/20 11:33 PM
04/15/20 11:33 PM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
Originally Posted by pcr2
Originally Posted by Scout1
[Linked Image]
I had posted this pic in an earlier walleye post. I got these one evening last week out of my yak. I fish right where a river enters a local lake. Caught them on #7 black/silver rapala countdown in around 4-5 ft of water. All within 45 minutes of dark. And none after dark, fished about an hour. One thing I notice when I do good or better than this is mayflies hatching? If we see the mayflies coming off the water good normally we do well, if no flies then no fish. I've read where up north walleye will gorge themselves on mayfly larvae? Now most were males with sperm running out, but we hardly ever catch a female. This is just my observation and may be wrong.

man,you and i could have a ball. grin

Sorry PCR, they were eaten the next day. Going back tomorrow if the weather holds out! Come on down, the next week or two is prime time!

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: Small river walleye discussion [Re: DWC] #6844014
04/16/20 06:14 AM
04/16/20 06:14 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
ya ever get near here holler,i'll put a 40in musky on the end of your line and let ya take a ride. grin

Re: Small river walleye discussion [Re: DWC] #6844524
04/16/20 01:37 PM
04/16/20 01:37 PM
St. Croix County, Wisconsin
T
ToTheWoods Offline
trapper
ToTheWoods  Offline
trapper
T

St. Croix County, Wisconsin
We use Shad Rap style crankbaits all the time in the smaller rivers casting and trolling the larger rivers. One of the best presentations a fish catching baits ever made. Losing a few here and there is just the price of doing business. I usually restock between $350 and $500 every February. I took some customers from Arizona out last year because they wanted to fish for Walleye. We ended up with 16 in the boat that night and about $150 worth of tackle at the bottom of the river that night. Everytime they felt the bump of the bottom they would set the hook like they would on a bass and snap off. I kept trying to tell them that we are trolling and the fish will hook itself but that didn't sink in too well. Luckily my company reimbursed me for everything. I just wish Rapala wouldn't discontinue colors. There are a few color patterns that were fantastic on my local river. I bought an airbrush so I could paint my own to those specific colors. I sell those to a few guys in a fishing league for $15 a piece.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread