No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I want to train a bird dog. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6901453
06/16/20 08:25 PM
06/16/20 08:25 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Pointers will learn to point on their own. You don't need to train a good dog to hunt. They will do that naturally - the key is to teach them to hunt for you and not for themselves. Teach the dog the basic commands, work with it a lot to keep it sharp and take it hunting a lot, and it will all fall into place.
Also remember a dog isn't like a computer you can program and then forget about. You should spend a lot of time with your dog.

Re: I want to train a bird dog. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6901589
06/16/20 10:29 PM
06/16/20 10:29 PM
Swords Creek, VA
A
ABeardedTrapper Offline
trapper
ABeardedTrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Swords Creek, VA
[Linked Image]
Nothing like a good bird dog. Get a dog from good hunting stock and enjoy the process of developing a good hunting partner Mason
Eric

Re: I want to train a bird dog. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6901676
06/16/20 11:33 PM
06/16/20 11:33 PM
Utah
foxhunter52 Offline
trapper
foxhunter52  Offline
trapper

Utah
Get them around birds in one form or another every day. Pheasant wings, dead pigeons. You'll soon know just how much fire he has for hunting. Granted, a few are late bloomers, but you'll recognize the really good ones at a very young age. Teach them that it's fun to retrieve and you like it when they do. Play games by hiding dead birds and helping him find them. Make it fun when they are puppies. The more experience on birds you give your dog, the better he'll get. That's the only reason I go to a game farm is to get the dog on birds at a young age. Once they get that down, try them on wild birds and be PATIENT. I've seen a lot of potentially good dogs have the desire and fire slapped and kicked right out of them by a less than patient owner.

Re: I want to train a bird dog. [Re: Gone Trappin.] #6901950
06/17/20 12:03 PM
06/17/20 12:03 PM
Denning,NY
B
bearpaws Offline
trapper
bearpaws  Offline
trapper
B

Denning,NY
The only book you need and a great read is traing your retriever by james lamb free. Cant find my edition but pretty sure that's the author.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread