Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Problem with a Duke body grip [Re: buddy5] #8175618
07/17/24 01:27 PM
07/17/24 01:27 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Bump

Re: Problem with a Duke body grip [Re: buddy5] #8175768
07/17/24 06:00 PM
07/17/24 06:00 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I have caught several skunks in 160s and they are killed but about half spray. I would stick with the cage trap, it seems to be working for you. You could put some thin wood etc. on the sides if you wanted more enclosure.Then you would only need to cover the top and front to pickup and move slowly. I don't know what you have for trailers etc. as you could haul the skunk to an area where your limitations are less. I have hauled skunks a few miles in the back of my truck although a trailer is safer. If I were using your body gripper and box I would bring the trap back so the trap is 12 inches from the bait. They will be more in their normal walking pattern that far out. As to spraying? It is the skunks that are digging up your yard looking for grubs, worms etc. They can feel the vibrations through their feet. I would not worry as much about the odor as you seem to be. Removal to me is the goal. Lots of skunks get run over in villages and people live with that until it goes away.

Bryce

Re: Problem with a Duke body grip [Re: buddy5] #8175805
07/17/24 06:53 PM
07/17/24 06:53 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Another easy method to reduce spraying is using an old large blanket. Lay the blanket open half folded over cage or box grab box or cage and walk it slowly to pick up bed.
Lay it down in truck bed and place cage/box on half of blanket the cover top with other half place a few items to hold blanket inlace while driving and you're done.

Re: Problem with a Duke body grip [Re: buddy5] #8176299
07/18/24 01:56 PM
07/18/24 01:56 PM
OR
W
wws Online content
trapper
wws  Online Content
trapper
W

OR
I don't think the body grip trap is a good idea at all. I know I would refuse to use it in a neighborhood. I don't care that its in a box, house cats are very curious animals and having the scent of all these animals in that box will help them find there way into it. Cats are easy to kill as we know and the lady down the street probably has her lawyer on speed dial.

As far as euthanizing a skunk you say you weld, you have co2, just have a cardboard box or plywood box ready to unfold. tape up seams. co2 sinks so the bottom is more important. 12 minutes and its night night time. If done right there is no struggle. Start the gas off slow and increase it after a few minutes.

wws

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91