No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Bogmaster] #6947434
07/30/20 07:46 AM
07/30/20 07:46 AM
Nova Scotia,
woodtick Offline
trapper
woodtick  Offline
trapper

Nova Scotia,
Lefty,In the words of that great Clint Eastwood movie " you're just plain mean"

Big Wet Drops and Lots of them are a Sure Sign of Rain!
Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Bogmaster] #6947437
07/30/20 07:50 AM
07/30/20 07:50 AM
Nova Scotia,
woodtick Offline
trapper
woodtick  Offline
trapper

Nova Scotia,
Grouse, are you talking about Ontario. or Canada...cause I could still shoot your arse, if I could hit it(I'm a poor shot)

Re: How this forum has changed [Re: HobbieTrapper] #6947442
07/30/20 07:56 AM
07/30/20 07:56 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
I’ve only been here a few years. I don’t think the forum has changed that much, just the climate, hence my “People are Edgy” thread.

Outside the forum there have been constant attacks lacking reciprocation. THAT is what has changed and just as anything else, it has bled into the forum.

This thread is evidence that it is not a welcomed feeling and perhaps a glimpse into what may come outside of the forum. We can hope so. Common folks seem to be getting it, politicians haven’t seen it yet and some won’t until they have been fired.

Hobbie makes some good points. For one, ( not Hobbie's point) it's the off season and things always get a bit rowdy then because people are bored. Hunting and trapping seasons are closed and it's too darn hot to fish. But now you see what's going on in this country and for many of us, it's at a level of intensity we've never seen. I didn't live through the civil rights era, but I suspect things may be worse than that now, and may be as bad as they were in the lead up to the civil war. What's astounded me is that all these riots and looting are not only not being dealt with by those in authority, but are even being encouraged by many. All that has me questioning the future of this country.

Then on top of all that, throw in a global pandemic. A global pandemic that you have no idea who to believe about the subject. CDC and WHO have both continuously changed their opinions on it time and time again... first from not wearing a mask, and then to wearing a mask. No matter who you believe I think most people now realize that the numbers are not accurate, so you don't even know for sure how serious it is. Add in a media who's main purpose in life is to discredit the president, and it becomes harder to believe the stuff they tell you about the disease, or about anything. If CNN told me the sky was blue I would need to go and check first. You have governors mandating things... from business closures to mask requirements. Trappers tend to be in favor of very limited government, so of course that adds to the angst.

Then you have to consider the upcoming election, and worrying about how it may be tampered with, as well as what will happen after the election, regardless of who wins.

So Hobbie's right.... all of these things working together does have everyone on edge. We're at a point in our country where we're not sure what's going to happen. Many of us believe the fate of the country hangs on the outcome of the election. Never in my nearly 40 years have I ever seen our country nearly so divided as it has been for the past 10 years. We rode through the Obama years hating it, but figuring once a republican was elected again things would straighten back out but I never saw it coming that the left would lose it's collective mind the way it has when Trump won.

So yeah, our dissatisfaction with current events, and fear of the future does spill over onto the forum. Differing opinions that we used to be able to overlook are now being seen as direct stabs at our beliefs and people seem to have much less tolerance for them. Speaking personally, I can't really blame them. When the future of the country is at stake, it's hard to overlook comments that once didn't seem so malicious.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: How this forum has changed [Re: GROUSEWIT] #6947450
07/30/20 08:08 AM
07/30/20 08:08 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Originally Posted by woodtick
Hutchy, how to heck would you know...you're from Ontario...lmao.. grin

YEA, living up there in yr crime free utopia without a need for a handgun to protect yr family!!

I sure hope life in Canada never gets to a point where I feel I have to arm myself with a handgun to protect my family.

Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Bogmaster] #6947451
07/30/20 08:12 AM
07/30/20 08:12 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
So Hobbie's right...

Can you call my wife and tell her that? lol

-Goofy-
Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Bogmaster] #6947455
07/30/20 08:18 AM
07/30/20 08:18 AM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun

I sure hope life in Canada never gets to a point where I feel I have to arm myself with a handgun to protect my family.

And we're off!

Re: How this forum has changed [Re: GROUSEWIT] #6947456
07/30/20 08:19 AM
07/30/20 08:19 AM
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Originally Posted by woodtick
Hutchy, how to heck would you know...you're from Ontario...lmao.. grin

YEA, living up there in yr crime free utopia without a need for a handgun to protect yr family!!

One day Canada will take over the world.

Then you'll all be sorry!

Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Bogmaster] #6947458
07/30/20 08:23 AM
07/30/20 08:23 AM
Iron Range, Minnesota
R
Ringbill5196 Offline
trapper
Ringbill5196  Offline
trapper
R

Iron Range, Minnesota
Tom, I agree.

Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Hutchy] #6947461
07/30/20 08:26 AM
07/30/20 08:26 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Hutchy

And we're off!

laugh. Honest comment Hutchy, not a trolling attempt and not looking to start anything.

Last edited by Crit-R-Dun; 07/30/20 08:27 AM.
Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #6947463
07/30/20 08:28 AM
07/30/20 08:28 AM
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

[quote=Hutchy]

laugh. Honest comment Hutchy, not a trolling attempt and not looking to start anything.

I know, but you know how things go lol

Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Hutchy] #6947470
07/30/20 08:31 AM
07/30/20 08:31 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Online content
trapper
upstateNY  Online Content
trapper
U

ny
[quote=Crit-R-Dun]

Critter-Dung,,,,That's Typical Canada speak for"Were not allowed to own guns)Oh,,thats OK,,I didn't realy need that anyhow.LOLOL HAHA

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Bogmaster] #6947478
07/30/20 08:39 AM
07/30/20 08:39 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
All they need is their broken hockey sticks (according to tickbite).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited by Lugnut; 07/30/20 08:40 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Eh...wot?

Re: How this forum has changed [Re: upstateNY] #6947480
07/30/20 08:40 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by upstateNY
[quote=Crit-R-Dun]

Critter-Dung,,,,That's Typical Canada speak for"Were not allowed to own guns)Oh,,thats OK,,I didn't realy need that anyhow.LOLOL HAHA

Correct me if I'm wrong but in reality I doubt the vast majority of Americans truly feel they have to be armed with a handgun 24/7 to protect their family. I know plenty of Americans who would scoff at the notion. The recent unrest might be a bit of a game changer depending on where you live.

Re: How this forum has changed [Re: yotetrapper30] #6947481
Maine
M
mainer Offline
trapper
mainer  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
I’ve only been here a few years. I don’t think the forum has changed that much, just the climate, hence my “People are Edgy” thread.

Outside the forum there have been constant attacks lacking reciprocation. THAT is what has changed and just as anything else, it has bled into the forum.

This thread is evidence that it is not a welcomed feeling and perhaps a glimpse into what may come outside of the forum. We can hope so. Common folks seem to be getting it, politicians haven’t seen it yet and some won’t until they have been fired.

Hobbie makes some good points. For one, ( not Hobbie's point) it's the off season and things always get a bit rowdy then because people are bored. Hunting and trapping seasons are closed and it's too darn hot to fish. But now you see what's going on in this country and for many of us, it's at a level of intensity we've never seen. I didn't live through the civil rights era, but I suspect things may be worse than that now, and may be as bad as they were in the lead up to the civil war. What's astounded me is that all these riots and looting are not only not being dealt with by those in authority, but are even being encouraged by many. All that has me questioning the future of this country.

Then on top of all that, throw in a global pandemic. A global pandemic that you have no idea who to believe about the subject. CDC and WHO have both continuously changed their opinions on it time and time again... first from not wearing a mask, and then to wearing a mask. No matter who you believe I think most people now realize that the numbers are not accurate, so you don't even know for sure how serious it is. Add in a media who's main purpose in life is to discredit the president, and it becomes harder to believe the stuff they tell you about the disease, or about anything. If CNN told me the sky was blue I would need to go and check first. You have governors mandating things... from business closures to mask requirements. Trappers tend to be in favor of very limited government, so of course that adds to the angst.

Then you have to consider the upcoming election, and worrying about how it may be tampered with, as well as what will happen after the election, regardless of who wins.

So Hobbie's right.... all of these things working together does have everyone on edge. We're at a point in our country where we're not sure what's going to happen. Many of us believe the fate of the country hangs on the outcome of the election. Never in my nearly 40 years have I ever seen our country nearly so divided as it has been for the past 10 years. We rode through the Obama years hating it, but figuring once a republican was elected again things would straighten back out but I never saw it coming that the left would lose it's collective mind the way it has when Trump won.

So yeah, our dissatisfaction with current events, and fear of the future does spill over onto the forum. Differing opinions that we used to be able to overlook are now being seen as direct stabs at our beliefs and people seem to have much less tolerance for them. Speaking personally, I can't really blame them. When the future of the country is at stake, it's hard to overlook comments that once didn't seem so malicious.

Good post, yotetrapper. Thank you!

"...in a very few days we succeeded in taking over one hundred beaver, the skins of which were worth ten dollars per pound."
Jim Beckwourth (1856)
Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #6947497
07/30/20 08:57 AM
07/30/20 08:57 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Correct me if I'm wrong but in reality I doubt the vast majority of Americans truly feel they have to be armed with a handgun 24/7 to protect their family. I know plenty of Americans who would scoff at the notion. The recent unrest might be a bit of a game changer depending on where you live.

I am one of them that feels there are enough things available anywhere I go to maim or kill in defense should the need arise. That, along with surrounding awareness, is currently sufficient for me to meander comfortably wherever I choose. The immediate family is much the same.

-Goofy-
Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Bogmaster] #6947500
07/30/20 08:59 AM
07/30/20 08:59 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The riots after King was murdered were not tolerated. That is the difference. L.E. shut them down. Same with anti war rioting, Democratic national convention etc. Nobody said let them burn and steal. It happened but not with government sanction. Didn't last very long.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Bogmaster] #6947502
07/30/20 09:01 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
[quote=Hutchy]

I don't usually carry. I DO if I'm going to certain cities. That said, being armed at home definitely makes me feel better. Here's an example.

We live in the absolute middle of nowhere. Our driveway is 3/4 mile long just to get to a dirt road. The dirt road is about 4 miles long and has about 7 houses on it. As far as the eastern US goes, that's about as lonesome as you can get. One night I was at work and Drifter was home alone. It was pouring rain when the dogs started carrying on at 10pm. Pete stepped out on the porch and saw a guy walking up our lane, swinging a machete at our dogs! He stepped back inside and picked up his loaded colt 45 handgun then went back out. The guy had been drinking, and had just got out of prison. He appeared to think he had some claim to our property. He swung his machete at one of our dogs again and Pete told him he best not do that again. I guess that's when he saw the gun and decided he wasn't going to argue. He started back up the lane and Pete contacted the cops who showed up eventually, but not until after Pete had to drive up to the road, because they couldn't find the place. What it ended up being is that the previous owner had sold this guy one acre of our land, but when he went to prison, the previous owner had bought it back again for taxes.

Would things of played out differently if Pete had not had a loaded gun at hand? I don't know, but am glad we didn't have to find out.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: How this forum has changed [Re: upstateNY] #6947503
Nova Scotia,
woodtick Offline
trapper
woodtick  Offline
trapper

Nova Scotia,
[quote=Crit-R-Dun]

I still can't figure out how you made the assumption we're not allowed to own guns... but

Lugnut, them broken hockey sticks still come in useful for a lot of things...lol grin

Last edited by woodtick; 07/30/20 09:01 AM.

Re: How this forum has changed [Re: Bogmaster] #6947513
07/30/20 09:06 AM
07/30/20 09:06 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
[quote=Hutchy][quote=Crit-R-Dun]

I'm one of those. If I had to live like that I wouldn't like it. I lived in Philippines for many yrs in quezo n city manila and visited night markets alone etc. Never carried a weapon nor found a need for one even in dangerous areas. But, I am,was a pretty big scrapper in my younger yrs. I guess I'm just lucky.

Re: How this forum has changed [Re: yotetrapper30] #6947518
07/30/20 09:07 AM
07/30/20 09:07 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

I don't usually carry. I DO if I'm going to certain cities. That said, being armed at home definitely makes me feel better. Here's an example.

We live in the absolute middle of nowhere. Our driveway is 3/4 mile long just to get to a dirt road. The dirt road is about 4 miles long and has about 7 houses on it. As far as the eastern US goes, that's about as lonesome as you can get. One night I was at work and Drifter was home alone. It was pouring rain when the dogs started carrying on at 10pm. Pete stepped out on the porch and saw a guy walking up our lane, swinging a machete at our dogs! He stepped back inside and picked up his loaded colt 45 handgun then went back out. The guy had been drinking, and had just got out of prison. He appeared to think he had some claim to our property. He swung his machete at one of our dogs again and Pete told him he best not do that again. I guess that's when he saw the gun and decided he wasn't going to argue. He started back up the lane and Pete contacted the cops who showed up eventually, but not until after Pete had to drive up to the road, because they couldn't find the place. What it ended up being is that the previous owner had sold this guy one acre of our land, but when he went to prison, the previous owner had bought it back again for taxes.

Would things of played out differently if Pete had not had a loaded gun at hand? I don't know, but am glad we didn't have to find out.

I’m betting your decision has cost the taxpayers a few dollars. Next time try thinking about us a little more. lol

-Goofy-
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread