No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: warrior] #6960977
08/11/20 11:45 AM
08/11/20 11:45 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
How does a bad law like this get passed in the first place, that's what I want to know. You know that once it's in place it's gonna be abused by someone.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: Arkansas87] #6960982
08/11/20 11:52 AM
08/11/20 11:52 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Originally Posted by Arkansas87
^^that is true about the dove baiting. Makes it hard when the neighbor down the road has 500 pounds of sunflower seeds poured out all over the ground.that being said, I think they should just let everyone bait and just enforce the bag limmits. What does it matter if it takes me an hour to kill a limit or half a day. 15 birds is 15 birds. That would get rid of all the confusion on dove baiting because alot of the laws on it are very confusing. And people can get huge tickets over misunderstandings. Just my opinion

Baiting doesnt seem too confusing to me. You did or you didnt. Its also about fair chase, not about how quickly you can get your limit.

Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: warrior] #6960985
08/11/20 11:58 AM
08/11/20 11:58 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan

(Providence) When have we ever seen a politician throw law enforcement under the bus? [/quote]

You are joking right? Its happening all over the country as we speak. Politicians caving to leftist politicians and throwing law enforcement under the bus. I feel bad for LEOs in this day and age. Nobody wants them around....until they need them.

Last edited by midlander; 08/11/20 12:00 PM. Reason: Clarification
Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: warrior] #6961000
08/11/20 12:19 PM
08/11/20 12:19 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
No need to trespass and place cameras...just follow social media. Plenty of people hang themselves every season. Of course, plenty know this and will have fun with it too. I could site a couple of examples, but it wasn’t my prank so I won’t.

Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: warrior] #6961084
08/11/20 02:03 PM
08/11/20 02:03 PM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
Midlander it sounds like you don't dove hunt or have looked at any laws pertaining to baiting dove.what leagal for me is prolly not leagal for you in your state and maybe vise versa. There are no standard laws for baiting dove across the country. Lots of grey areas also. Crop plant dates, ground prep, pounds per acre, seed type, just to name a few. Yes I know it is about fair chase but around here there is not alot of agriculture. So we make fields just for dove. But to the guy (or kids just getting into hunting) who dosnt have alot of private land to hunt and money for tractors and all the stuff needed to make a good dove field, they just don't have a way to have a good dove shoot.now if they could put out a pile of corn and shoot a limit of doves over it out back somewhere I don't se anything wrong with that.may get more kids into hunting. Like I said a limit is a limit lol. And yes I take first time hunters dove hunting in my fields every year.

Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: Wanna Be] #6961137
08/11/20 03:37 PM
08/11/20 03:37 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
No need to trespass and place cameras...just follow social media. Plenty of people hang themselves every season. Of course, plenty know this and will have fun with it too. I could site a couple of examples, but it wasn’t my prank so I won’t.

Its all fun!!!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: Arkansas87] #6961146
08/11/20 03:49 PM
08/11/20 03:49 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Midlander it sounds like you don't dove hunt or have looked at any laws pertaining to baiting dove.what leagal for me is prolly not leagal for you in your state and maybe vise versa. There are no standard laws for baiting dove across the country. Lots of grey areas also. Crop plant dates, ground prep, pounds per acre, seed type, just to name a few. Yes I know it is about fair chase but around here there is not alot of agriculture. So we make fields just for dove. But to the guy (or kids just getting into hunting) who dosnt have alot of private land to hunt and money for tractors and all the stuff needed to make a good dove field, they just don't have a way to have a good dove shoot.now if they could put out a pile of corn and shoot a limit of doves over it out back somewhere I don't se anything wrong with that.may get more kids into hunting. Like I said a limit is a limit lol. And yes I take first time hunters dove hunting in my fields every year.

I believe that how close you are to a feed lot for cattle or hogs can also be considered baiting, its kinda wild how some of those things are written

Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: warrior] #6961152
08/11/20 04:01 PM
08/11/20 04:01 PM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
In our area people plant millet and sunflower for doves and let it go to seed then mow it down and leave it in the field which is basically like pouring out a whole field full of grain for the birds, and it's totally legal. BUT! If a guy goes out and pours out a 50 pound sack of grain to bait in doves it is highly illegal. That makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich and also keeps people without the means to plant giant dove fields or the means to pay to hunt one out of the dove hunting game. It's hard for normal guys to get any good shooting on normal dove areas when there is a commercial dove field every 5-10 miles loaded with feed. I think they should either let everyone bait however they can or no one bait at all. Like stated above 15 birds is 15 birds who cares how fast you shoot them.

Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: Kart29] #6961189
08/11/20 04:36 PM
08/11/20 04:36 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
Originally Posted by Kart29
Aren't they one and the same? Only difference I see is who is doing the violating.

Something tells me the two characters in this story are a couple of redneck flea bags with a history of problems with the law - a couple of dumb, toothless hilljacks that think just because they own 136 acres they can do whatever they want with the wildlife on it. I suspect there was ample evidence to justify surveillance of these poachers. And if they were doing something wrong, I hope they get nailed to the wall for it.

Of course, I could also be wrong about them. crazy

Then it should be easy to get a search warrant first. I'm uncomfortable with "they probably did something" as justification.

Last edited by maintenanceguy; 08/11/20 06:48 PM.

-Ryan
Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: warrior] #6961255
08/11/20 05:24 PM
08/11/20 05:24 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I found out the hard way you own “your” land until the government decides they’d like some of it back. This sadly doesn’t surprise me one bit.

I even talked with an ol friend from years back. He’s a federal agent now. He was joking about how he’d skipped the yearly fees a local boat club charges for use of their land to a boat dock. One of the only ways to this body of water for miles. He simply told them he was a federal agent and needed access to the water as he deemed fit. They just rolled right over.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: Arkansas87] #6961269
08/11/20 05:34 PM
08/11/20 05:34 PM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan

Ark, you are right, we cant dove hunt in michigan..sure wish we could. I understand laws differ in each state, but sounds like they broke the law for the state they were in..yes? Whether or not they have good fields or tractors does not justify breaking the conservation laws. I have water on my ground, but its not as nice as the water on my neighbor's ground....does that justify me throwing out some corn for the waterfowl? I think many folks on here have had to deal with a chucklehead neighbor that baits and it can have real negative impacts on our hunting when we are trying to do everything right..it is very frustrating.

Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: warrior] #6961275
08/11/20 05:39 PM
08/11/20 05:39 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I’ve always found the differing laws between states interesting. Sand hill cranes are protected here and people actually come to the state to watch them fly over. Other states allow you to blast them out of the sky and I’ve been told they’re referred to as steak of the sky.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: warrior] #6961306
08/11/20 06:14 PM
08/11/20 06:14 PM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
Midlander I agree with you 100% on that.at the end of the day baiting doves is illegal. Was just giving my opinion on it.

Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: warrior] #6961316
08/11/20 06:24 PM
08/11/20 06:24 PM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Ark, I appreciate that. Cool thing about this forum is the ability to see so many varied opinions on different topics. No offense taken on my part and didnt mean to send any your way if I did....its all good.

Re: Are we being spied on? Open Fields Doctrine [Re: warrior] #6961324
08/11/20 06:32 PM
08/11/20 06:32 PM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
Oh yea just good ol boys talking. No offense taken at all