No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Restoring a shotgun [Re: goatman] #7069294
12/01/20 09:08 AM
12/01/20 09:08 AM
IL
G
goatman Online content OP
trapper
goatman  Online Content OP
trapper
G

IL
Turnbull actually turned me down. Said they probably weren't the ones for the job. Recommended another company. Think I have some good places to contact. I do own a gun screwdriver set from Midway. Thanks

Re: Restoring a shotgun [Re: goatman] #7069332
12/01/20 09:43 AM
12/01/20 09:43 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by traprjohn
Remember, Gun screws have hollow ground slots (parallel) so you cannot/should NEVER, use regular screwdriver’s since they are tapered and can easily twist/flip out of the slot damaging it.
INVESTING in Gunsmith Screwdriver set from Midway or Midsouth Shooters or Brownells is a must have for anyone wanting to work on guns.

Most of us have probably seen buggered screws on old shotguns. It's a common thing from not using the proper tool.

Originally Posted by goatman
Turnbull actually turned me down. Said they probably weren't the ones for the job.

I mentioned I sent off an old Parker to have restored. Parker was one of the better made American guns. The guy I sent it to chewed me out asking me what I expected him to do with it, it was that rough. He said he'd see what he could do and get back to me. He sleeved the barrels...cut the old barrels off ahead of the forcing cones and mated new barrels, put the gun back "on face", leached decades of gun oil out of the stock, refinished it and re-cut the checkering. The before and after was astounding. I think he took it in only because it was a Parker.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread