No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rationalist "thinking" #7082933
12/10/20 03:57 PM
12/10/20 03:57 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Humans have been told by philosophers since Plato right on through Immanuel Kant on into today that we think our way to the conclusions we have. It makes us "who" we are.

We are, in a sense, a big glob of a thinking apparatus, set atop a body, and what we do all day long is have that thinking apparatus ingest, digest, and spit out the rational aspects of all we are and believe and that drives our "rational" behavior. Our "common sense." Our lives.

Sound accurate? It's what we're taught K-12. Undergrad. Grad. Vocation. Bi-vocation. Most all everywhere in the Western world.
In our schools. In our homes. In our workplaces. Even in our Churches.
Life is said to be built on what your rational glob on the top of your body tells the body to do.

But there are those who debate this paradigm.
What if before we are thinkers we are believers - before we can offer any plausible explanation of the world, we've already settled upon a galaxy of beliefs that steers that thinking - a worldview so to speak, that governs and importantly conditions our perception of the world?

Beliefs, these philosophers say, are more basic in the primordial of life - than ideas.
What defines us, in other words, is not what we think, but what we believe - the commitments and trusts that orient our being-in-the-world.
Which means before we are thinkers, we are believers.

It is this holistic approach to the human mind, body, and soul that now wages full scale war with academia and public opinion pundits.
And the two don't play well together.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7082968
12/10/20 04:27 PM
12/10/20 04:27 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
"I think therefore I am"

Originally Posted by Mark June
what we do all day long is have that thinking apparatus ingest, digest, and spit out the rational aspects of all we are and believe and that drives our "rational" behavior. Our "common sense." Our lives.

Mark

I have largely not observed what you have in people apparently.

Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7082973
12/10/20 04:33 PM
12/10/20 04:33 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Renee Descartes of course. The "what."
He never did talk about the "why?"

They say he was around a pot-belly stove when the world altering thought hit him.
I like wood stoves myself.

My statements in paraphrase forms are not mine.
I'm not that smart.

Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7082994
12/10/20 04:57 PM
12/10/20 04:57 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
God gave us the gift of thinking, reasoning and thus also rationalizing. What compass points we choose to follow is the big deal in my opinion. Our brains are not much different than a GPS unit we can mark all sorts of waypoints, it is a matter of what is the driver that leads us to certain waypoints and how long we are willing to stray and wander to get there. Our human society in general does not have the fortitude or the patience to wander another 40 years in a wilderness because God got mad at the leader for striking the rock to get water out of anger. In our modern society we seem to enjoy doing much of what we do out of anger.

Bryce

Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7083018
12/10/20 05:15 PM
12/10/20 05:15 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
That is pretty heavy. Can we believe one thing and think another? Fine line between thinking and believing.

Many people believe one thing and speak another. Not the same as thinking.

Last edited by charles; 12/10/20 05:16 PM.
Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7083025
12/10/20 05:24 PM
12/10/20 05:24 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Philosophers lay awake at night figuring these things out I suppose. It is heavy.

Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7083029
12/10/20 05:26 PM
12/10/20 05:26 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Philosophers lay awake at night figuring these things out I suppose. It is heavy.

Even laymen stay awake at night pondering these questions.

Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7083036
12/10/20 05:35 PM
12/10/20 05:35 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Very true.

Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7083044
12/10/20 05:42 PM
12/10/20 05:42 PM
Southeast Ohio
amspoker Offline
trapper
amspoker  Offline
trapper

Southeast Ohio
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

Even laymen stay awake at night pondering these questions.

I know of a few shepherds, fisherman and likely a trapper or two who did.

Levi
Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7083194
12/10/20 07:15 PM
12/10/20 07:15 PM
Nebraska, Dawson County
chas3457 Online content
trapper
chas3457  Online Content
trapper

Nebraska, Dawson County
The Boggy Man lays awake at night thinking that I might be under his bed. shocked

Charlie

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

NRA Life Member ~ GOA Member ~ NFOA Member ~ UNMLA Member
Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: chas3457] #7083196
12/10/20 07:16 PM
12/10/20 07:16 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by chas3457
The Boggy Man lays awake at night thinking that I might be under his bed. shocked

Charlie

laugh laugh

Nevada bound
Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7083231
12/10/20 07:55 PM
12/10/20 07:55 PM
MI
C
Co�s Offline
trapper
Co�s  Offline
trapper
C

MI
Interesting points Mark.

There is such a thing as critical feeling, which rides alongside critical thinking. I guess you could call feeling beliefs. The same principles apply as with critical thinking. They can either be rooted in first principles about the reality we live in, and expand from there, or they’re guided by anecdote.

Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: charles] #7083242
12/10/20 07:59 PM
12/10/20 07:59 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by charles
Can we believe one thing and think another?

honestly, I don't think (believe) so.

[not trying to be funny. I believe (think) that what one thinks is what one believes (and vice versa).]

Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7083246
12/10/20 08:01 PM
12/10/20 08:01 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
If God didn't want us to think rationally, he wouldn't have given us the apparatus (brain) to do it with.

If you're a believer before a thinker, your thinking will be prone to error. Prior belief = prejudice.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7083250
12/10/20 08:04 PM
12/10/20 08:04 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Humans have been told by philosophers since Plato right on through Immanuel Kant on into today that we think our way to the conclusions we have. It makes us "who" we are.

We are, in a sense, a big glob of a thinking apparatus, set atop a body, and what we do all day long is have that thinking apparatus ingest, digest, and spit out the rational aspects of all we are and believe and that drives our "rational" behavior. Our "common sense." Our lives.

Sound accurate? It's what we're taught K-12. Undergrad. Grad. Vocation. Bi-vocation. Most all everywhere in the Western world.
In our schools. In our homes. In our workplaces. Even in our Churches.
Life is said to be built on what your rational glob on the top of your body tells the body to do.

But there are those who debate this paradigm.
What if before we are thinkers we are believers - before we can offer any plausible explanation of the world, we've already settled upon a galaxy of beliefs that steers that thinking - a worldview so to speak, that governs and importantly conditions our perception of the world?

Beliefs, these philosophers say, are more basic in the primordial of life - than ideas.
What defines us, in other words, is not what we think, but what we believe - the commitments and trusts that orient our being-in-the-world.
Which means before we are thinkers, we are believers.

It is this holistic approach to the human mind, body, and soul that now wages full scale war with academia and public opinion pundits.
And the two don't play well together.

Blessings,
Mark

This would explain why I have such a hard time relating to a lot of people. What they believe about the world is totally different than what I believe

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: James] #7083254
12/10/20 08:05 PM
12/10/20 08:05 PM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by James
If God didn't want us to think rationally, he wouldn't have given us the apparatus (brain) to do it with.

If you're a believer before a thinker, your thinking will be prone to error. Prior belief = prejudice.

Jim

flat out, you're wrong, Jim.

God is "spiritual". Much of what He does is NOT "rational" from the human perspective.

You've committed a fundamental error of "humanism".

Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: James] #7083256
12/10/20 08:06 PM
12/10/20 08:06 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA

Jim

Doesn't that presuppose an absolute truth we have to believe in, before we can think rationally?
If we are nothing but our intellect, how do we know that what our brain tells us is Truth, is in fact, true?

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: ] #7083257
12/10/20 08:07 PM
12/10/20 08:07 PM
Central Wisconsin
C
cwtrapper Offline
trapper
cwtrapper  Offline
trapper
C

Central Wisconsin
Normal human growth and development. As children a person lives by the morals and values of their parents. As teenagers their peers. As they get into young adulthood typically revert back to that established by the parents. Unless you introduce something in the teen years like alcohol or drugs. Then the growth and development ceases. A persons morals and values are defined by their beliefs. Say Christianity for example.

Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: PAskinner] #7083266
12/10/20 08:14 PM
12/10/20 08:14 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by PAskinner

Jim

Doesn't that presuppose an absolute truth we have to believe in, before we can think rationally?
If we are nothing but our intellect, how do we know that what our brain tells us is Truth, is in fact, true?

Not an absolute truth I'm talking about. We can never achieve absolute truth.

If you think black people are inferior, without any rational thinking, you are thinking from prejudice.

A rational person tests the belief first. Hypothesis: black people are inferior. Rationality test: the hypothesis is not supported by clinical, genetic, intelligence, and numerous other tests we know to be reliable.

If you start out assuming the belief to be true, you'll never arrive at an accurate conclusion no matter what tests you make.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Rationalist "thinking" [Re: James] #7083267
12/10/20 08:15 PM
12/10/20 08:15 PM
MI
C
Co�s Offline
trapper
Co�s  Offline
trapper
C

MI

Jim

Spot on.

Why is humanism a dirty word? Aren’t we humans?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread