No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Salt drying pelts vs. air drying pelts ? [Re: kyron4] #7089161
12/14/20 01:32 PM
12/14/20 01:32 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I kinda figured it would mess with the ph balance if there were enough of it on the hide.

Eh...wot?

Re: Salt drying pelts vs. air drying pelts ? [Re: kyron4] #7089165
12/14/20 01:35 PM
12/14/20 01:35 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Borax is not good for tanning. You've really gotta keep an eye on the pH as borax raises it and you'll have to do some fiddling to keep the pH in the proper range.

Re: Salt drying pelts vs. air drying pelts ? [Re: kyron4] #7089194
12/14/20 02:02 PM
12/14/20 02:02 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Hundreds of pelts I've sent to Moyles salt dried as well as large hides buffalo and elk, salted then folded while drying for smaller shipping package.

Never a problem with any of them and consider it a safety net for spoilage if shipped with in a year, done this for almost 25 years now, not one has slipped.

Always give the head more salt even though I work them all down to taxidermy grade, it's just safer due to the small pockets on them, I also turn the ears for better tanning.

Never use Borax for the answers given PH is a large concern for proper tanning in the garment field not so much for just showing a pelt.

Moyles does not accept wet or green pelts, only flint dried, or salt cure out, will accept moist salt cure if there is no dripping, if your are doubtful about how to do for keeping or shipping just call the tannery, lots of taxidermist's save their cost on tanning and shipping by doing tan's them selves, they are not garment tanning shops though, there is a difference in the end result and process.

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread