Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7100304
12/22/20 06:18 AM
12/22/20 06:18 AM
AR
B
bigfoottrapper Offline
trapper
bigfoottrapper  Offline
trapper
B

AR
How big of holes? Like rebar size?
Originally Posted by Yukon John
I FINALLY connected with a coyote today after many a struggle this season. I have used just about everything I could think of, and low and behold, I stumbled across the compass set! There is seemingly nothing in the archives about it, just want some input if it should be in the archives.

What I did was went out in a corn field where I had sign (about 25 yds) and found a mellow spot with mostly bare dirt, and bedded my trap with 4 "poke" mouse holes about 9 inches from the center of the pan, in a cross. I used a different type of lure, no bait, in each hole, and in a couple days I was looking a beautiful male in the face! I don't think I would use this set all the time, but it was a real confidence booster for me! Best of luck!

Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7100319
12/22/20 06:40 AM
12/22/20 06:40 AM
West Cent IL
illinideer Offline
trapper
illinideer  Offline
trapper

West Cent IL
Yes i use my stake driver. I go about 4 5 inches deep
J

Coyote 5 Badger 1
Coons 17
Bobcats 2 Released
Grinners All of them
USN AE2 VF-31 Tomcatters
Retired SMSGT IL ANG 183 Fighter Wing
Coyote U Class #4
Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7100529
12/22/20 10:12 AM
12/22/20 10:12 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yep, I went a little deeper, but I'm still experimenting.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7100824
12/22/20 02:57 PM
12/22/20 02:57 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
[Linked Image].

This the portable dirt hole made from vinyl fence post and soft bottom(which I now added to better separate trap from snow). Plastic glass "dirt hole" is attached to sides about 1" above base letting me lock one coil spring of my 1 1/2 sq jaw Montys fox traps under it bedding it without the silicone trap bed needed. #3's also fit for cats/coyotes. One spring under cup lip really allows trap to lift onto animals foot plastic "sides" hold bait hole and nicely hold dry dirt over trap(or chopped grass/leaves depending on where I am setting). Once bait has been in "hole" for a few sets it doesn't loose the smell. I camo the hole with what ever is handy I really like rotted out birch bark tubes that are readily available for me and I stuff opening with field mouse nests that are easily collected here when snow melts so they will step in really close to get a sniff. There are 1/4" holes drilled in the sides which allow two very thin weed or grass stems to be slid thru in an x(just beyond trap) to guide into trap pan(two set for both sizes of trap.

All my compass triangles are in the field currently.

I only run about three or so dozen cat/canine footholds during winter(what I can run in the morning in half a day) and about the same number of snares so making anything that speeds my setting is welcome and not too inconvenient.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7100843
12/22/20 03:09 PM
12/22/20 03:09 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
So you fill that contraption with dirt and bed and cover the trap In It.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7102689
12/23/20 08:57 PM
12/23/20 08:57 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
Yes, flat on the frozen ground or most often pushed into the snow(sometimes I clear away some snow if needed). Complete set in under 5 min. - bottom surface area is enough a fox or cat doesn't have a problem with them pressing down in snow. Lg coyotes sometimes but I'm not an enthusiastic note trapper. Traps are set with one spring under lip of pocket/hole glass covered (locking it into form very solid) with trap pan than dirt, leaves or chopped grass to hide. Trap cover material goes up most of the sides and is thrown away from "bait hole" just as any dirt hole. Trap bed sides are barely visible and doesn't seem to spook fox/cats. Cats like extra feathers or fur(I save all the hair from hunted rabbits and feathers from game birds and flagging). Trap is attached to metal drag, clog, preplaced ground stake or available near sapling(cut off a couple feet height with a large tail feather stuck into s small hole in its top dipped in call lure). Trap chains is run out the front thru notches in bottom at the end of each side. No chopping, pounding or hassle with frozen solid ground(can be moved or remade if covered with heavy snow easily. Can also be made from wood(as my first version) but they are bulkier, not as durable. I like mulched leaves and grass clippings as like the Pipe dream set they freeze up less.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7102873
12/23/20 10:53 PM
12/23/20 10:53 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
I like the outside the box thinking! Would like to see your triangle set (I know they're all out right now). I don't have to deal with that much snow, so I can manage without the extra, but I still like it!

Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7103347
12/24/20 09:09 AM
12/24/20 09:09 AM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
I've been tried to the compass set several times with zero catches. I'll stick to the stepdown dirtholes. About the only set I use. I'm like Wade, basically one set with only 2 different baits. No urine or lure. Since going to this, my catch has went up a lot.

Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7103505
12/24/20 10:52 AM
12/24/20 10:52 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
. [Linked Image]
I'm much like you LDW but added a few compass sets along with my step downs, this was my result.
Never had any luck with them by themselves but since I started using them adjacent to other sets been very pleased with my results.

Last edited by 20scout; 12/24/20 06:54 PM.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7103641
12/24/20 12:25 PM
12/24/20 12:25 PM
New York
Short Track Offline
trapper
Short Track  Offline
trapper

New York
I was grading my back yard for cement work. I banged some rebar in the ground as grade stakes. Finished grading, and removed the rebar.
Next day, every rebar hole was dug up. Either a Fox or Coon was looking for dinner at the bottom of every rebar hole.

Just a weekend trapper...
Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7107181
12/27/20 02:11 AM
12/27/20 02:11 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Day late, but on Christmas I caught my second coyote of the season, at my compass set.. after my original catch, I made what I call a duff dirt hole(trash set to some of you). I had no hits, so I made a flat set with a 4" length of tail that I messed up skinning, with some urine, and connected again (in 2 days). I'm not all that convinced that dirtholes are effective ALL of the time (I've been sitting on some for way too long now)6. From now on, I'm gonna utilize a dirt hole (which is still my "go to") with a flat set of some sort. I made another step down dirt hole into a compass set, and had more "predator" activity at it than I did previously. I also know that year by year, and time of year, will determine what sets to make, but coming from a guy who has been struggling, I HOPE I have something figured out. We'll see, as I'm moving to a couple different properties...I may get my arse handed to me, time will tell.

Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7107198
12/27/20 04:03 AM
12/27/20 04:03 AM
Central MN
Gray Breard Offline
trapper
Gray Breard  Offline
trapper

Central MN
Right now we are frozen solid with a foot snow. But next year, I'm gonna try the compass set. My ? Is, not knowing if I'm going to get fox or Yote, how big should it be? 4', 6'.....??

My Gal's name is Ma Deuce.

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
Re: Compass set [Re: Yukon John] #7108974
12/28/20 11:39 AM
12/28/20 11:39 AM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN

This is the lure holder that I use in the combined hay/flat/compass sets I make when our ground is frozen feet deep and/or on the ice(when standard compass set is all but unmakeable). It is three 1/2" cpvc 90/90/90 corners topped with 90 corner lure holders(which I like because they hold the paste lures I make well and can be recovered to be reused as base for new lure or easy be replaced by a different lure holder that a carry preloaded in containers of same lure - no messing with lure jars/filling when setting). Corner are joined with 1/2" pex(at whatever distancing you wish) I have been using 18" for coyotes and LG cats(we Have) and 14 for fox. Put down a base layer of hay than lure holder in center, bed trap in center of lure holder and cover/blend with more hay and chopped hay/grass/leaves over trap, looking like any hay/flat set. I am still experimenting with if I want lure holders hidden or exposed so that is why one is taller than others. This set allows me to make them on frozen water ways that are public here and that all animals like to travel. When trapping on ice I make set very near bank so trapped animal can get up onto it to not freeze to ice. I also make set near any solid anchor point or I use a LG washer on cable(like an earth anchor) bore a LG spade bit deep hole into ice drop in the washer fill hole w/ water from bottle. Can can almost always chop free w/chisel I always carry when walking on ice to test thickness.

I now make the 90/90/90 corner(which can be spendy to me) out of modified single 90 with out much effort. P.S. now working on a urine/flat/hay set version.

[Linked Image]

This the silicone trap bed that holds trap bedded solid on any flat surface, and do not freeze down.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91