Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: First for me fired dog proof. [Re: Providence Farm] #7163057
01/31/21 12:19 AM
01/31/21 12:19 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
We had another coon in that dp. It was held by 2 toes when I got there. It had hide missing over an inch up past it's wrist and had nearly pulled out. So my conclusion is the first catch in question had done the same leaving a little blood and empty trap.
It's not but a 2 year old trap one of the aluminum ones. Makes me question throwing them out now.

Was there something near the trap that they could get ahold of with their other front foot or perhaps set on a steep bank or some type drop off?

Re: First for me fired dog proof. [Re: ~ADC~] #7163293
01/31/21 09:02 AM
01/31/21 09:02 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
It's fairly flat. I do have it wired off to a small tree 8" or so wround so it may have tried to climb it but there are no lower limbs it could reach.

Re: First for me fired dog proof. [Re: Providence Farm] #7163715
01/31/21 02:21 PM
01/31/21 02:21 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
The aluminum dp that pcs outdoors sells are stout. I use those and old grizz ones that are super stout. More than once I’ve had possums lose whatever got caught without even leaving a catch circle. Usually I find the possum foot/toes in the trap, but Maybe something ate the bait and such out after that occurred.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: First for me fired dog proof. [Re: Providence Farm] #7164177
01/31/21 07:26 PM
01/31/21 07:26 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
It's fairly flat. I do have it wired off to a small tree 8" or so wround so it may have tried to climb it but there are no lower limbs it could reach.

You think maybe they climb the tree and jump out, hitting the end of the chain hard?

Re: First for me fired dog proof. [Re: ~ADC~] #7164290
01/31/21 08:28 PM
01/31/21 08:28 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

You think maybe they climb the tree and jump out, hitting the end of the chain hard?

Anything is possible it's got about a foot of wire and the factory chain. It had originally grabbed it deep since its hide was scraped From it's elbow down. I'm just glad to learn what happened to the first one now. I'm always learning.

Maybe be I should start a thread about my missing beaver snair cable? The swivel was still there and the stop had been machine pressed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91