No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anyone have a Chainsaw Mill [Re: snowy] #7143044
01/18/21 03:58 PM
01/18/21 03:58 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline OP
trapper
snowy  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
ttt

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Anyone have a Chainsaw Mill [Re: snowy] #7143109
01/18/21 04:33 PM
01/18/21 04:33 PM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
The only really pro for a chainsaw mill. Is that it’s easy too take the mill too the log.

If you have equipment too move the log to an actual mill. Don’t even try a chainsaw mill.

If you can’t move the log than a chainsaw mill is the best option.

Re: Anyone have a Chainsaw Mill [Re: jht] #7143321
01/18/21 06:22 PM
01/18/21 06:22 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada

A few years ago, I tried to rip a couple short power poles in half for a neighbor with my small band mill. The blade didn't make through the second cut. I agree. Best not to try it.

Originally Posted by Bob
I always wanted to get a small mill, and with the price of lumber these days it wouldn’t take long to pay for one lol. I bought 2”x6”x10’ boards at Home Depot the other day, $12 a piece. If you could crank out two an hour that’s decent wages lol. Heck it’s $5 for a dang 2x4 stud!

I hear you there. I spent more on lumber last fall to build a 225 sq ft deck than I did the previous year for the lumber to frame and sheath nearly 600 sq ft of house.

The payoff in owning your own mill can also depend on your application. If the lumber you need can be put together rough, then added cost post-milling is minimal, but if you're looking for finish quality wood, then make sure you consider added time and effort in processing your rough cut lumber. The hours of work at the jointer and planer can add up quickly, as can the cost of planer knives, especially working with something like seasoned oak. Personally, I enjoy the work, the look of the finished product, and the ability to do things for myself, so I don't mind the extra effort. The payoff for owning the mill, for me, is in the process and the product, not just in my pocketbook.[/quote]

Yeah I can see where it would start to get pretty labor intensive. I was thinking it would be great to have just for lumber for framing things like barns and sheds and fence posts and stuff like that. Those wouldn’t have to be nice, finished lumber. Personally I kinda like to look of rough lumber anyways, even though it’s not practical for a lot of things

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Anyone have a Chainsaw Mill [Re: snowy] #7143326
01/18/21 06:24 PM
01/18/21 06:24 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Online content
trapper
Bruce T  Online Content
trapper

Northern Maine
My father had a bandsaw one.Worked slick.

Nevada bound
Re: Anyone have a Chainsaw Mill [Re: snowy] #7143341
01/18/21 06:33 PM
01/18/21 06:33 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
No matter what type of mill you have, you need to move the logs. I think that's a fifty footer in the pic. Tractors make things a lot easier.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone have a Chainsaw Mill [Re: Bob] #7143357
01/18/21 06:46 PM
01/18/21 06:46 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Originally Posted by Bob
I always wanted to get a small mill, and with the price of lumber these days it wouldn’t take long to pay for one lol. I bought 2”x6”x10’ boards at Home Depot the other day, $12 a piece. If you could crank out two an hour that’s decent wages lol. Heck it’s $5 for a dang 2x4 stud!

Don't forget, that price isn't for rough sawn lumber, you're also paying for grading, planing and drying. When you get set up to plane and dry lumber, your cost per board will go up a smidge smile

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Anyone have a Chainsaw Mill [Re: Posco] #7143372
01/18/21 06:59 PM
01/18/21 06:59 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by Posco
No matter what type of mill you have, you need to move the logs. I think that's a fifty footer in the pic. Tractors make things a lot easier.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

How many times I've wished I had a tractor! Every cabin you see on our website was done by hand. All of it, and that includes moving the logs. We used log tongs. These are a two man torture device. One guy gets on either side and you skid the logs out. We did use a chainsaw winch on some of the longer stuff, but it was so slow we used tongs most of the time. I've moved a lot of logs on the trapline with snowmachines and atvs over the years too. I have a log arch now, and that makes moving logs much easier.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Anyone have a Chainsaw Mill [Re: KenaiKid] #7143539
01/18/21 08:01 PM
01/18/21 08:01 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Originally Posted by KenaiKid
Originally Posted by Bob

Don't forget, that price isn't for rough sawn lumber, you're also paying for grading, planing and drying. When you get set up to plane and dry lumber, your cost per board will go up a smidge smile

Yup I realize that, but a guy doesn’t need #1 grade lumber to frame a goat barn or build corrals, things of that nature. sure would save a lot of money on stuff like that, especially since a lot of livestock likes the chew on boards, they won’t look nice after a week anyway lol

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Anyone have a Chainsaw Mill [Re: snowy] #7144011
01/18/21 11:54 PM
01/18/21 11:54 PM
central ohio
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper
madcotrappwr  Offline
trapper

central ohio
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've tried it. They are slow. My 72 cc saw runs a 82 inch board in 5 minutes. That 880 is for the big stuff. Takes 2 to hang on to. I habe done it alone.

If you have the saw, your way past half way.

Will my toes ever warm up?

I'm Gonna die with my boots on.

Tim Henry.

Re: Anyone have a Chainsaw Mill [Re: FairbanksLS] #7149968
01/22/21 06:24 PM
01/22/21 06:24 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Originally Posted by white dog
Have you priced the materials you will need to build your mill Scuba?

I have not as I am using and repurposing a lot of stuff I have on hand. I cut up an old boat trailer for the engine and saw support frame. I have V- Twin gas engine out of a ATV I am making the rollers and shafts myself out of an old boat prop shaft etc. In my world, there is not such thing as scrap. Only a lack of imagination.
grin
But at a rough estimate I should have it up and running with a 24' bed for under 2000 bucks

Last edited by Scuba1; 01/22/21 07:54 PM.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread