No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Taste test - pine beaver vs sweet gum beaver [Re: Trapper7] #7146614
01/20/21 04:23 PM
01/20/21 04:23 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline OP
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline OP
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted by Trapper7
I've eaten beaver several times. But, each time I could taste the castor. I like the smell of castor, but not the taste.

That's because the meat got contaminated. It's easy to contaminate the meat if you're not real careful. I use one knife to skin the beaver, and I do it from the back I cut up the back and go around the sides with the beaver laying on it's belly. Then I change gloves and change knives and begin removing the meat. There's no way the castor can get to the meat this way, unless when working the hind quarters you puncture a castor sac. I'm real careful not to do that. The meat then tastes like beef with not a hint of castor taste.

Re: Taste test - pine beaver vs sweet gum beaver [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7146705
01/20/21 05:33 PM
01/20/21 05:33 PM
UP of Michigan
B
billy Offline
trapper
billy  Offline
trapper
B

UP of Michigan
Paul is right you should use a different knife or knifes for getting the meat off the carcase. i use different knifes for skinnin ,and another for takeing castor and oil glands separate from the meat knifes. Dad always said you skin the beaver then skin thebeaver for his meat.

take care

Billy
Re: Taste test - pine beaver vs sweet gum beaver [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7146713
01/20/21 05:37 PM
01/20/21 05:37 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
I do it with 3 knives. A filler knife for the opening cut, then peel back the skin just enough to cut out the butthole, castors,and oil glands in one big glob with a second knife. Then a 3rd knife to skin with. When I flip it over from the back to the tummy, I flip it on to a clean surface, and make sure not to drag ito to the spot where it was just laying, the filth from the fur will contaminate the meat if you do.

Re: Taste test - pine beaver vs sweet gum beaver [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7146736
01/20/21 05:54 PM
01/20/21 05:54 PM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

Paul

If there is no difference in the taste between either beaver meat have you been tested for Covid 19.......LOL

Re: Taste test - pine beaver vs sweet gum beaver [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7147392
01/21/21 12:23 AM
01/21/21 12:23 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Good one Snap! LOL

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3