No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Dobbins Family [Re: Posco] #7155610
01/26/21 01:44 PM
01/26/21 01:44 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Posco
I'm sure Paul would give the nod to his dad.

I'm sure you're right. The teacher is usually better than the student. But, both belong in the Trapping Hall of Fame.

Have you ever listened to someone for quite a while and wondered...."Who ties your shoelaces for you?"
Re: The Dobbins Family [Re: 330 Belisle] #7155653
01/26/21 02:17 PM
01/26/21 02:17 PM
NW Oregon
330 Belisle Offline OP
trapper
330 Belisle  Offline OP
trapper

NW Oregon
So, people ask me why post so much?

It's simple. It's my way to fuel the growth, among other things I do.

- 330 Belisle
Re: The Dobbins Family [Re: 330 Belisle] #7155694
01/26/21 02:45 PM
01/26/21 02:45 PM
UP of Michigan
B
billy Offline
trapper
billy  Offline
trapper
B

UP of Michigan
we owe you your dad and benny many thanks.

Billy
Re: The Dobbins Family [Re: Yes sir] #7155831
01/26/21 04:11 PM
01/26/21 04:11 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Is Benny on here?

Seth, yes he is. He isn't a steady, but saw him check in, I think it. was right before Christmas. You can find him in the user list. He is into food and cooking now! lol

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: The Dobbins Family [Re: 330 Belisle] #7155845
01/26/21 04:17 PM
01/26/21 04:17 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Thanks Lee

Re: The Dobbins Family [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7155886
01/26/21 04:52 PM
01/26/21 04:52 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Originally Posted by Pike River

If feel like there's a story to be told here. Share?

Dad was in Mississippi giving instruction to someone, and I don't recall who it was, perhaps USDA? Anyway, he ran across this fella named Benny who wanted to learn how to trap beavers. He told dad he couldn't afford the instructions, but dad stayed a few extra days anyhow and taught Benny how to trap beavers. Dad gave Benny some traps to get him started too. The traps you see in the headers on these pages are some of the ones dad gave him. When dad was fixing to leave, Benny said he was sorry he couldn't pay for the instructions, but dad simply said, "Pass it on".

After dad passed away, I got a puter that was able to go on the internet. This was in very early 1998. I soon found a trapping site called Otter Creek and found they had a chat room. So, I started going in there most every evening to chat with the regulars. I believe I used the handle Bvr1, but didn't say who I was, because I didn't think it mattered, since no one knew me. After a month or two, Benny, who went by Yup, I believe, was on the chat and asked if I was related to Charles Dobbins. I said yes, I was and that I was his son.

Well, he said that he had a debt to repay. He then laid out this plan for a trapping website for me. He was very adept at doing website graphics and constructing websites. I was hesitant because I wasn't mentally prepared to take this on, since I was dumber than a sack of hammers when it came to computers. He said he'd lead me by the hand and teach me all I needed to know, which he did. He asked what I wanted in a website and we hashed it all out and he said he'd get working on it. He also said it would end up being the premier trapping website on the internet. I had my doubts about me having such a thing, but that didn't deter his efforts.

In a matter of a few days, he sent me a link to Trapperman.com and the first page was a forum, called Trapper Talk. That was a single forum and was not expandable, like forums are today.

When I saw the header come up, I was flabbergasted at how great it looked. Soon he had many of the basic Trapperman pages done, such as Words from the Past, Trapper Tips, the Convention Calendar, the Gallery and Links page.

Then on Otter Creek one night I announced that I had a new website and gave the link. Ever since then, its done nothing but grow.

That folks is how Trapperman.com got started. I'd say Benny "Passed it on" more than a thousand fold. I'm sure dad looks down on this place with pride, and I hope to keep it a place he'd be proud of.

Great and interesting story. Life is nuts. Thanks for sharing.

Re: The Dobbins Family [Re: 330 Belisle] #7155905
01/26/21 05:11 PM
01/26/21 05:11 PM
smithfield, virginia
F
flash Offline
trapper
flash  Offline
trapper
F

smithfield, virginia
There's not many days i don't check in. My first rodeo was in the fall of 99. The Boss canned me once in 2000 and i felt terrible over it...... Way he did it though made so much sense. Thanks Paul for showing me the way!!

Re: The Dobbins Family [Re: Trapper7] #7155910
01/26/21 05:16 PM
01/26/21 05:16 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Trapper7
Originally Posted by Posco
I'm sure Paul would give the nod to his dad.

I'm sure you're right. The teacher is usually better than the student. But, both belong in the Trapping Hall of Fame.

I don't doubt that and what a fascinating story Paul wrote on how Trapperman came to be. Amazing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread