No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: Bob] #7157814
01/27/21 08:03 PM
01/27/21 08:03 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Bob
It costs around $500 an acre to produce alfalfa hay. An acre will produce on average 8 tons per year, current price is 200 per ton. So a farmer net profits 1,100 per acre. Now that’s just covering what it cost to plant, water, harvest and stack the alfalfa. Add to that the cost of the equipment to do it, which will cost in excess of $500,000, and the upkeep and maintenance on those machines. Now add to that the price of an acre of tillable land with water, minimum $15,000 per acre. Also the cost of insurance you have to pay for. Now imagine that a hailstorm comes through and wrecks your crop, or a dry year reduces your 8 ton per acre to 4, and your insurance will only partly cover the difference.

Now imagine some yahoo on the internet who works half as many hours as you do complaining about greedy farmers getting crop subsidies.

It is expensive to grow alfalfa in Nevada.....

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7157820
01/27/21 08:06 PM
01/27/21 08:06 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by nate
I said in my first post not sl farmer's dairy and beef farmer's put in there share of manual labor.

It is like saying, all a trapper has to do is trap the animal. That's all there is to it. There is a lot to running a farm beside manual labor.
They put in LONG day's. 7 days a week. If I was you the next time I see a farmer, stop and thank him or her.. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7157821
01/27/21 08:08 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Swamp wolf, I used a study from UC Davis to come up with those numbers. Every region will differ slightly, but the premise remains the same.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7157825
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
If it's so easy why arent you guys that are complaining lined up to do it . Heck all you need is several million in equipment and a thousand acres of land at $2500 an acre here. Then you can sit on you butt and watch all the money roll in. I watched my brother and brother in law fight mud all last winter to feed their cows they planted most of their corn and soybeans 2 or 3 times because they got flooded . What did come up was full of weeds because the spray didnt work. Then during the summer our area had one of the worst droughts in recent memory. When it was time to harvest the rain came again. As.for the subsidies if it wasn't for them you wouldnt have farmers. By the way I am not a farmer.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: Bob] #7157828
01/27/21 08:09 PM
01/27/21 08:09 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Do you know for a fact that those farmers get millions in subsidies? And do you know for a fact that farming is their only source of income?
You couldn’t afford a pound of ground beef without the subsidies the hay farmers get. Farmers work their tails off, and pay for everything themselves. You couldn’t even imagine the insurance premiums a farmer has to carry for a year, let alone the equipment, diesel, seed, water, labor, fences, I could go on for pages on expenses farmers have. I don’t know a single farmer who drives a pickup less than two years old, very few who have a full fleet of brand new tractors. The ones who do are corporate farms. Beside that, as hard as they work, they ought to be able to live comfortable. [/quote]

True words Bob. Those that have never grown up on a farm or farmed really don't know or understand. Many people see farming equipment and just see it as a piece of machinery. They don't realize that USED combine alone cost $300,000 >++ or to just fertilize a 100 acres may cost $18,000 + . . . and that's just the beginning. The labor involved to farm is exhausting and you're at the mercy of the weather, supply and demand for what the market wants and can bear and the "middleman", tax man, etc. take their cut too. Sometimes you get ahead, other times you take a loss :-(

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7157843
01/27/21 08:19 PM
01/27/21 08:19 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Post y’all’s names and we can look y’all up also. It’s pretty simple, put in your name and we can see how much money y’all get.
I’m not knocking any farmer, but you can’t hide what I typed and see for myself. If you’re not that type of farmer then good for you. If you don’t take subsidies then good for you. But, there are farmers that do and farmers that live a VERY extravagant lifestyle.

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: Wanna Be] #7157860
01/27/21 08:28 PM
01/27/21 08:28 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Post y’all’s names and we can look y’all up also. It’s pretty simple, put in your name and we can see how much money y’all get.
I’m not knocking any farmer, but you can’t hide what I typed and see for myself. If you’re not that type of farmer then good for you. If you don’t take subsidies then good for you. But, there are farmers that do and farmers that live a VERY extravagant lifestyle.

Same here ......and it isnt just a Ga thing.

There was a beekeeper that had about 100 hives that got 7 grand.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7157870
01/27/21 08:34 PM
01/27/21 08:34 PM
NE North Dakota
N
Nodak63 Offline
trapper
Nodak63  Offline
trapper
N

NE North Dakota
I farm for a living. Lots of what’s said is true. Most farmers are taking govt subsidies including myself. I don’t live an extravagant lifestyle but my brother send I farm a 5th generation cattle a d crop operation and we have no hired help. It’s hard to make it lots of times cause it’s almost impossible to expand. Lots of our neighbors could take all our land and not even have to buy another tractor. As far as work ethic I really don’t know a lazy farmer. Even the ones that do live extravagantly are very hard working, almost to the point of insanity in some cases I’d say. At what point does working 14 he days 350 days a year so you can keep getting more land become enough? Back to the subsidies, I’d love not to take em, fact is I have to to make it, especially when all my neighbors are taking em to. What gets me is that large farms not only take em but they’re big enough to have several “entities” and full time bookkeepers who can stay on top of the regulations and paperwork so that their one farm actually is multiple farms on paper and therefore gets some of the payments 3 or four times over. It’s all classic govt nonsense, the more they try and help the more it distorts the true market. Add in the PPP and now I have neighbors who pulled in hundreds of thousands of dollars cause they have lots of employees and us sole proprietors with no hired hands got nothing. They didn’t see any downturn in “busniness” cause of COVID but they got a free quarter million or more to use to bid against me at the next land auction. Sorry I’m rambling, long post short, yes some frames live very extravagantly, but they’re still not lazy.

At least not around here, your location may very.

Last edited by Nodak63; 01/27/21 08:40 PM.
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7157904
01/27/21 08:56 PM
01/27/21 08:56 PM
SE Missouri.
P
Pirogue Offline
trapper
Pirogue  Offline
trapper
P

SE Missouri.
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Don't complain with your mouth full !!!!!

I raise my own,so thanks but know thanks.
Originally Posted by Michigander
I wish our farmers were lazier. With these mild winters they are waging war on anything made of wood. Grown up fencerows, wooded ditches, woodlots and old barns are all being wiped out. Have to keep the grassy ditch banks mowed like a golf course too.

Tax write off. And big equipment know manual labor.

So you use no flour either or u grow your own wheat and mill it yourself ? BS !!

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: Nodak63] #7157906
01/27/21 08:57 PM
01/27/21 08:57 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I reread the original post and there was no statement regarding livestock or dairy being excluded. Therefore I took your comments to be very general in nature. There are greater differences in farms and farming then there are in trappers for sure.
The use of subsidies allows farmers to produce commodities and livestock and livestock products at lower costs which allows the food and fiber prices to be lower for consumers to buy and also for us to compete in the export market. We have been doing this for generations in some form or other. There are arguments on many sides as to what would be a better system or if there should be government involvement at all. Most other nations have some to considerable subsidies for food related products as many have been hungry in the past and if we want to export a significant portion of our production we need to manage to be competitive.
Yes there are some extremely wealthy farmers in our country. Here in WI we have lead the nation in farm bankruptcies for many years as of late, which is showing us that small and medium sized family farms have a real uphill battle and due to small size, subsidies are welcomed but in many cases not nearly enough to stay competitive. As in almost all industry those who are successful will choose to grow and expand and buy and utilize all the available resources they can obtain and manage. When I started working in the county I live in 1975 there were 1,216 licensed dairy farms milking 54,000 cows. Today there are roughly 280 farms milking 55,500 cows. We have lost an average of over 40 farms a year over the last 40 years.
Bryce

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7157926
01/27/21 09:09 PM
01/27/21 09:09 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
One of the saddest parts about farming is that most farmers have several children. When a parent(s) pass, many times the siblings can't get along and due to such bickering among themselves, the farm is, or has to be, sold to developers or other non-farming industries sometimes because of debt. The other reason generally that the children have no interest in carrying on the family tradition. It's hard work and not much of an easy life for young people in today's world. Even the Amish are losing the kids at higher numbers than before. Sad.

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7157964
01/27/21 09:30 PM
wisconsin
cowboy2005 Offline
trapper
cowboy2005  Offline
trapper

wisconsin
Yeah cause they never do,it unless they can set thier -on there tractor or new pickup. At least around here and it may not be all of them but there's A bunch

I realize this has been replied to alot already but, here's my 2 cents worth.
I am 15yrs old, I've been farming cattle with my money (an occasional loan from dad the first year or 2 but all paid off now) by my self since I was 10. When I was 13 I started working for a beef and dairy goat farmer 5 miles down the road. He's sold me some cattle in the past at a fair market price, and loaned me his equipment to put up hay on fields I rented. I finally bought a old 460 farmall last year, and a skidsteer. In the summer between working for the farmer down the road and for myself I sleep 4 or 5 hrs a night and crash on the couch when I can. Now that's winter there's still lots of work to do but I also have school on top of that. Call me lazy if you want. But I know no farmer around here that's got there fancy equipment paid off, and yeah some of them take subsidies from the government but you can't grow crops and can barely grow livestock without it. And sometimes it cost more to fix then replace, or somtimes its cheaper to replace. Yes its fancy but don't let your jealousy get the best of you, you'll never outwork a farmer.

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: Bob] #7157965
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Bob
It costs around $500 an acre to produce alfalfa hay. An acre will produce on average 8 tons per year, current price is 200 per ton. So a farmer net profits 1,100 per acre. Now that’s just covering what it cost to plant, water, harvest and stack the alfalfa. Add to that the cost of the equipment to do it, which will cost in excess of $500,000, and the upkeep and maintenance on those machines. Now add to that the price of an acre of tillable land with water, minimum $15,000 per acre. Also the cost of insurance you have to pay for. Now imagine that a hailstorm comes through and wrecks your crop, or a dry year reduces your 8 ton per acre to 4, and your insurance will only partly cover the difference.

Now imagine some yahoo on the internet who works half as many hours as you do complaining about greedy farmers getting crop subsidies.

There you go

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: Wanna Be] #7157973
01/27/21 09:33 PM
01/27/21 09:33 PM
wisconsin
cowboy2005 Offline
trapper
cowboy2005  Offline
trapper

wisconsin
What size shoes y’all wear? For 2 million I could make them fit or go barefoot.

And I’d bet they got the same stimulus check I got.

I was talking to a farmer the other day, they were actively losing 200,000 a year dispite their government subsidies of x amount of millions. Until you outwork a famer, and lose 200,000 a year doing it, shut up.

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7157976
01/27/21 09:35 PM
01/27/21 09:35 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
As I've stated before I've worked and been involved in agriculture my whole life. I've had the debate about agriculture subsidies with others in agriculture probably over 20 times. Its a very touchy subject when you make your living in agriculture and your debating the topic with another who's got his hand in the cookie jar. I won't get into a full fledged debate on here because I would probably upset some people. To my knowledge in all my previous debates the person defending subsidies in the end always could only say 2 things, one was if they are handing it out im going to take it or if I dont take it someone else will. Not justifiable reasoning for subsidies in my opinion. Two things ill say and then I'm done. The first I would point out the amount farmers are paying for land,both purchase $ and rent$. They continue to pay more and more but keep saying the need subsidies to keep going. In other words they will keep cutting into there margins without giving themselves enough room for the lean years. Second main argument is we couldn't afford the food costs if subsidies weren't in play, the cost of the wheat in a loaf of bread is somewhere around 5% of the cost of a loaf of bread. If the cost of wheat doubled I think we could still buy bread

Just to be clear I make my living raising cattle, wheat, corn and soybeans.

Last edited by Yes sir; 01/27/21 09:36 PM.
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7157984
01/27/21 09:38 PM
01/27/21 09:38 PM
Ar
G
gregh Offline
trapper
gregh  Offline
trapper
G

Ar
Swamp wolf: You said there was a beekeeper that got 7 grand. I do not know how he got it. But do you know how much money it cost to run 100 bee hive. I am running about that number at this point and I wish I could do it for 7000 a year.

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7157987
01/27/21 09:39 PM
01/27/21 09:39 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Why don't the government subsidies everything that way it would all be cheaper

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: gregh] #7157995
01/27/21 09:46 PM
01/27/21 09:46 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by gregh
Swamp wolf: You said there was a beekeeper that got 7 grand. I do not know how he got it. But do you know how much money it cost to run 100 bee hive. I am running about that number at this point and I wish I could do it for 7000 a year.

Don't know, so I'll ask. Are bees a vital necessity for the pollination of Georgia Pecans and Peach crops? I know they are for other crops. That may be a reason for the 7k?

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158021
01/27/21 09:57 PM
01/27/21 09:57 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Back when I was lowly Ag major I had a farm economics class where the prof once stated (this was 1976) that farming was the only business he knew of that took a million dollars of investment to make an annual return of $30,000. You only do it if you love the lifestyle.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: cowboy2005] #7158024
01/27/21 09:59 PM
01/27/21 09:59 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by cowboy2005
What size shoes y’all wear? For 2 million I could make them fit or go barefoot.

And I’d bet they got the same stimulus check I got.

I was talking to a farmer the other day, they were actively losing 200,000 a year dispite their government subsidies of x amount of millions. Until you outwork a famer, and lose 200,000 a year doing it, shut up.

If you're losing 200,000 a year, no matter what it is, you're doing it wrong.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread