No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158025
01/27/21 09:59 PM
01/27/21 09:59 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Yep we are all lazy no good gubment Ne'er-do-wells. I was thinking this morning at 5am on my 1/4 mile walk from the silo to the feed truck in -9 wind chill. I shouldn’t even feed these cattle and just go to town and sit at the post office and wait for that big ol check. Good grief!! Nate I hope you trap all public ground. If you don’t it’s probably owned by a farmer and or a landowner making money off what the farmer raises. Not quite sure the government check will cover my employees families needs for the month. Maybe we should focus our efforts to keep this great way of life and tradition from being banned in states like New Mexico. I did my part today and joined their state association plus a donation.

By the way I went ahead and fed the cattle just in case that check didn’t show up.

09A12D07-C076-4E46-971C-E616FDB437DC.jpegCEB35F53-35C4-4348-B36D-D29264C02CB1.jpeg
Last edited by Pawnee; 01/27/21 10:00 PM.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158033
01/27/21 10:04 PM
01/27/21 10:04 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by nate
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Don't complain with your mouth full !!!!!

I raise my own,so thanks but know thanks.
Originally Posted by Michigander
I wish our farmers were lazier. With these mild winters they are waging war on anything made of wood. Grown up fencerows, wooded ditches, woodlots and old barns are all being wiped out. Have to keep the grassy ditch banks mowed like a golf course too.

Tax write off. And big equipment know manual labor.

nate,
Can you spell? Most Farmers know how to. You know? No kidding.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158039
01/27/21 10:07 PM
01/27/21 10:07 PM
sw iowa
Outlaw99 Offline
trapper
Outlaw99  Offline
trapper

sw iowa
The ignorance of these “anti subsidy” post reminds me a lot of many anti trapping activists statements regarding trapping. If you’re going to pass judgement and paint everything with such a broad swath, you should at least take the time to educate yourself on the topic, rather than base it on the pickup one drives or how many tractors someone has. The sheer ignorance that gets spewed on this site daily gives me very great concern for the future of trapping, if that indeed is the extent of the intellect of many of our trapping brethren.

Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158047
01/27/21 10:10 PM
01/27/21 10:10 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
As a teenager I worked several farms. Even into my 20's I still worked a few. I worked for ONE, what I would call lazy, farmer. Ironically his brother and his dad worked like dogs to farm the same amount of land. If not for the one guys wife, who didn't know what stop meant, he would have never made it. I told everyone I worked for her, not her husband.

while in Tn. I worked a few tobacco farms. Nothing easy about it. Hard, hot, nasty work. One was my cousins farm. He was eligible for the subsidies but never took them. Just didn't seem right to him. To each their own. He also had row crops and after the tobacco was no longer profitable he got into cattle. For you nay sayers, go work a few hundred head of cattle for a few days. You will really app. that beef you buy at the store!!

The only problem I have with the Gov assisting farmers is the so called farmers who don't farm. That is folks who buy land, and claim to farm it. I am not even sure they get away with it anymore, but I do know back some years they did.

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158050
01/27/21 10:12 PM
01/27/21 10:12 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
ADC made the comment about different types of farmers, and it's true. Livestock farmers, especially cattle and dairy, work their tails off. And then there is the big grain operations around here that have the biggest and newest of everything, and collect a crap load of subsidies. They also often rent more and more land, pushing the smaller operators out who can't compete on rental rates. And forget getting permission from most of these guys.

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158057
01/27/21 10:13 PM
01/27/21 10:13 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Pawnee it will be worth it when you get all those millions from the government, won’t it? grin

Nobody gets rich farming. Some do better than others. I’ve been around agriculture all my life, pitched a million pitchforks full of hay and worked sunup to sundown on farms. Built fence by hand cause you couldn’t get a four wheeler to it let alone a tractor. If it were as easy and lucrative as some of you seem to think I’d be at the bank tomorrow getting a 2 million dollar loan for the 780 acres of alfalfa for sale just down the road from me.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158065
01/27/21 10:18 PM
01/27/21 10:18 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
As for the huge house, brand new raptor, all that lucrative stuff someone keeps mentioning, how do you know those farmers aren’t 3 or 10 million in debt to have those things? I know lots of people with fancy vehicles that don’t make jack for money, they just finance it. Just cause you live like you have money doesn’t mean you actually have money.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: Bob] #7158071
01/27/21 10:20 PM
01/27/21 10:20 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by Bob
As for the huge house, brand new raptor, all that lucrative stuff someone keeps mentioning, how do you know those farmers aren’t 3 or 10 million in debt to have those things? I know lots of people with fancy vehicles that don’t make jack for money, they just finance it. Just cause you live like you have money doesn’t mean you actually have money.

You got that right. People see what you have showing, . . . but they don't see those debt bills at the end of the month, do they? HA!

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: cowboy2005] #7158125
01/27/21 10:53 PM
01/27/21 10:53 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by cowboy2005
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
What size shoes y’all wear? For 2 million I could make them fit or go barefoot.

And I’d bet they got the same stimulus check I got.

I was talking to a farmer the other day, they were actively losing 200,000 a year dispite their government subsidies of x amount of millions. Until you outwork a famer, and lose 200,000 a year doing it, shut up.

I don’t know of any other “business” in the world that can remain open losing $200K a year. Sounds like a new owner or CEO needs to take the reins. Heck, I could do that bad and I’m not a farmer.

Still haven’t seen any names mentioned and it’s all public record. As far as their debt is concerned, they’ve lived this lifestyle ever since I’ve known them 20+ years. You’d think over that period of time something would have to give.

I do know some hard working farmers that don’t “flaunt” their money and yeah, they work from sun up until sun down. I’ve even helped a few during harvest season for no pay just to help.

All I did is click on that website and picked the state and typed in the name. It shows everyone. So if you’re a farmer that collects subsidies then your name will be there also.

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: Bob] #7158127
01/27/21 10:55 PM
01/27/21 10:55 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted by Bob

Very true. Our farm operating note floats from a million to around 7. We personally don’t have fancy equipment like they do back east. I bought dad a new pickup last month. 2nd one he has had in 40 years. I worked the farm with a 1978 JD 4440?and a 1998 4960 JD until 2012 or so. Dad has always said the farms job was to pay our bills and provide the employees and their families a good living.

I will also say that these Covid payments the government has sent out to farmers are substantial and we think they are ridiculous. I haven’t missed a day of work since this crap started and don’t understand why some waitress that has been out of work the last nine months isn’t getting it. We had a meeting a few weeks ago and are in agreement that we will start a scholarship for local seniors in high school with the money. I do however understand how it looks from the outside.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: gregh] #7158141
01/27/21 11:06 PM
01/27/21 11:06 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by gregh
Swamp wolf: You said there was a beekeeper that got 7 grand. I do not know how he got it. But do you know how much money it cost to run 100 bee hive. I am running about that number at this point and I wish I could do it for 7000 a year.

7 grand was his gov subsidy.

I dont know what it costs to keep 100 hives going but should taxpayers pay your operations cost?

Your post seems like you would be OK with that.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: Pawnee] #7158151
01/27/21 11:13 PM
01/27/21 11:13 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Pawnee
Originally Posted by Bob

Very true. Our farm operating note floats from a million to around 7. We personally don’t have fancy equipment like they do back east. I bought dad a new pickup last month. 2nd one he has had in 40 years. I worked the farm with a 1978 JD 4440?and a 1998 4960 JD until 2012 or so. Dad has always said the farms job was to pay our bills and provide the employees and their families a good living.

I will also say that these Covid payments the government has sent out to farmers are substantial and we think they are ridiculous. I haven’t missed a day of work since this crap started and don’t understand why some waitress that has been out of work the last nine months isn’t getting it. We had a meeting a few weeks ago and are in agreement that we will start a scholarship for local seniors in high school with the money. I do however understand how it looks from the outside.

You guys sound like salt of the earth type of people

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158399
01/28/21 08:47 AM
01/28/21 08:47 AM
Iowa
B
beeman Offline
trapper
beeman  Offline
trapper
B

Iowa
If you would like to see what your farmer neighbor has received in the last few years just go here https://farm.ewg.org/index.php

Farmers are not the only ones asking advantage of the government. Go to http://ppprecipients.com/ to see what businesses in your area applied for “loans”. In my area there were some very successful businesses that were granted “loans” and these people are worth millions.

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158422
01/28/21 09:13 AM
01/28/21 09:13 AM
mo.
N
nate Offline OP
trapper
nate  Offline OP
trapper
N

mo.
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
[quote=jbyrd63]Don't complain with your mouth full !!!!!

Originally Posted by Michigander
I wish our farmers were lazier. With these mild winters they are waging war on anything made of wood. Grown up fencerows, wooded ditches, woodlots and old barns are all being wiped out. Have to keep the grassy ditch banks mowed like a golf course too.

Tax write off. And big equipment know manual labor.

nate,
Can you spell? Most Farmers know how to. You
330 I would have to agree w/ you on that I verily passed English. But I can put a heck of week in on the trapline, catch anything or not uncle Sam ain't got the tab. Lol

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158462
01/28/21 09:50 AM
01/28/21 09:50 AM
IN
trapperbless Offline
trapper
trapperbless  Offline
trapper

IN
Nate, come on over and spend a week or 2 here. Mid to late May will really let you see how lazy we can be but the work never ends here. I easily avg 60 hrs a week yr round and I bet I my salary is 1/3 or more less than the majority of people. Milking 2x a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Rain, shine, 110 degrees or -10, doesn’t matter. Cows have to be fed and milked regardless of weather or how bad I feel. I injured knee yesterday and barely got out of bed this morning because it’s so swelled up, but started milking at 3 am this morning. Not to mention I had to pull a calf at 10 pm last night. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As said above, no matter the commodity there’s a ton of planning in the off-season on top of all of the regular daily chores. Fertilizer and spraying plans, variety selection , grain hauling, repairs, daily feeding health checks and chores for the livestock folks and list goes on and on.

Some people say I’m nuts for managing a dairy and think it’s dumb to put in this amount of time and work for the pay. But you know what? It’s a way of life and once it gets blood there’s no going back, no different than trapping in that regard. It’s definitely not for the lazy folks or weak of heart. In the end, it supports my family, and this is part of what it’s all about. [Linked Image]
I hope that my son wants to continue farming with me in the future, but this way of life will teach him work ethic and respect that is lacking in today’s society.

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158478
01/28/21 10:01 AM
01/28/21 10:01 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Trapperbless,

The 0p never learned life lessons on a farm...and it shows.

Many Blessings with your herd!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158506
01/28/21 10:22 AM
01/28/21 10:22 AM
mo.
N
nate Offline OP
trapper
nate  Offline OP
trapper
N

mo.
Trapperbless
You should back up and read my post. My hats off to the dairy and beef producers. I milk as well just not as large scale as you. My main reason for this post is because all the baloni fixated with farming. We should be thanking plumbers, brick layers, electricians list can go on and on. I have trouble with hand outs and even more when they think they deserve them.
Saying that if I could afford it I would love to come down and throw.in a hand to see your operation. Loved the picture's thanks for sharing. I'm sure my spelling is off but not all of us are perfect.

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158519
01/28/21 10:31 AM
01/28/21 10:31 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Don't complain with your mouth full !!!!!

Ok so you NEVER buy bread you grind your own flour?
You never buy any cooking oil(soybean or corn)?
You never buy any kind of wiring (coating made from soy beans) ?
You NEVER buy any burger, pork , chicken, from the store?
YOU NEVER BUY GASOLINE , because 10- 15 % of it is alchohol.
You NEVER buy beer, wine, whiskey, ? Raised by a farmer?
You never buy potatoes or other veggies from a store

By your words you "grow your own"
Man you must have a big farm and several factories !! You raise corn, soy beans, wheat, barley, Malt, grapes and veggies . PLUS have processing plants all over your land . You are the true American hero !!!!!!!!!

Or someone that wants to mouth off about something he hasn't a clue about

Last edited by jbyrd63; 01/28/21 10:32 AM.
Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158524
01/28/21 10:32 AM
mo.
N
nate Offline OP
trapper
nate  Offline OP
trapper
N

mo.
Trapperbless
You should back up and read my post. My hats off to the dairy and beef producers. I milk as well just not as large scale as you. My main reason for this post is because all the baloni fixated with farming. We should be thanking plumbers, brick layers, electricians list can go on and on. I have trouble with hand outs and even more when they think they deserve them.
Saying that if I could afford it I would love to come down and throw.in a hand to see your operation. Loved the picture's thanks for sharing. I'm sure my spelling is off but not all of us are perfect.

Re: Farmers work is never done! [Re: nate] #7158525
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

wheres my trappin subsidies? grin