No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tree tapping question [Re: AKAjust] #7166922
02/02/21 11:44 PM
02/02/21 11:44 PM
Kentucky
J
jeffr Offline
trapper
jeffr  Offline
trapper
J

Kentucky
How hard is it to boil down in a turkey pot and get a decent result. Want to fiddle around before going all in.

Re: Tree tapping question [Re: jeffr] #7167015
02/03/21 02:02 AM
02/03/21 02:02 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by jeffr
How hard is it to boil down in a turkey pot and get a decent result. Want to fiddle around before going all in.

I used a water bath canner on a fire my first few years. The moved to the turkey fryer because the fire didn't work well in the rain.

The problem it it takes to long because there is not enough surface area like with an evaporator pan.

Last year I bought an evaporator pan and made pit lined with concrete blocks and a grate across the top for the pan to sit on. Fuel was wood. I angled a piece of pole barn tin above it on 2x4s to keep rain off. It worked well. I could go through sap 4x as fast.
It used a lot of wood and tending the fire took more attention than I liked.

Once it gets close I finish it in the house.

I have been going cheap for years we only make between 3 and 6 gal a year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread