No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167746
02/03/21 04:58 PM
02/03/21 04:58 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline OP
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ky
Ryan I have never walked in your shoes , so I will apologize in advance. BUT if anything you want frozen won't freeze at 56 below than you are drinking the Kool-Aid. Just how cold do you climatologist want it to get ?
I knew you were young.
If your ice isn't frozen enough at 56 below maybe you are driving too heavy a truck...

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167757
02/03/21 05:17 PM
02/03/21 05:17 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
I’m not drinking any koolaid. Less snow cover means more heat is absorbed by the earth In the land and water so even though it’s -56 the heat is coming from the water and land which has been way warmer these last few years. Once again though my age has nothing to do with any of this. As long as your not dead set against a certain point of view then it’s easy to look at the science of certain things and see what I’m talking about. It’s pretty common on here to state facts about oh let’s say climate change and have someone immediately bring up all gore and Tin foil hats and koolaid. To be honest it makes people look stupid to argue back with the go to saying of drinking koolaid.
Once again though I have no political agenda in this. Just a great job that allows me to see the science behind the factors affecting my livelihood.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167786
02/03/21 05:46 PM
02/03/21 05:46 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
if there was no climate change there would be no need for climate science. The fact that there is permafrost beckons to a time when it was much much warmer there. I am sorry I could not wave a magic wand and make everything stay the same, but the one constant in this world is change, get used to it and adapt.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: Ryan McLeod] #7167811
02/03/21 06:00 PM
02/03/21 06:00 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline OP
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
I’m not drinking any koolaid. Less snow cover means more heat is absorbed by the earth In the land and water so even though it’s -56 the heat is coming from the water and land which has been way warmer these last few years. Once again though my age has nothing to do with any of this. As long as your not dead set against a certain point of view then it’s easy to look at the science of certain things and see what I’m talking about. It’s pretty common on here to state facts about oh let’s say climate change and have someone immediately bring up all gore and Tin foil hats and koolaid. To be honest it makes people look stupid to argue back with the go to saying of drinking koolaid.
Once again though I have no political agenda in this. Just a great job that allows me to see the science behind the factors affecting my livelihood.

Maybe the less snow coverage isn't because of the man's pollution . Maybe less snow is because the lack of it. You are WAYYY too young to remember the "ACID" rain gloom and doom. "it will be so bad it will eat the paint off the car hoods" That was one motto for the lefties. BUT one thing you nor any of your climate guru's can dispute is the effects of emmisions on the farmers soil. Since the coal fired boilers and power plants have gone away the farmers have had to up the nutrients in the fertilizer. Pot ash is one in particular. Just like the oil spill in the gulf. You guys screamed the ocean was doomed. In less than 6 months mother nature corrected that.
Let me throw something out for you to chew on . Less snow could be because the jet stream doesn't carry moisture across an area for it to snow. Well who's to say that the wind farms aren't changing the jet stream. Maybe slowing the rotation( out there I know) . BUT no one would study the effects of wind turbines because lefty Joe, AL ,Kerry and their minions wouldn't have anywhere to throw our money ....

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167824
02/03/21 06:06 PM
02/03/21 06:06 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

so, if you're thirty years old, your entire work experience is what...12 years?

not a scientifically significant data set...

Last edited by white marlin; 02/03/21 06:08 PM.
Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: white marlin] #7167843
02/03/21 06:19 PM
02/03/21 06:19 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Major problem is we think in human time not geological time. Everything seems worse in our short sighted time line. Climate change has been going on since earth creation and will continue no matter what we try to do.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167857
02/03/21 06:28 PM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

exactly, Mike.

from 2016 right through 2019, PA had the wettest four years in recorded history. a direct result of Climate change?

in 2020, we had a fairly severe drought across the state. a direct result of climate change?

or are those examples more likely attributable to natural weather variability?

that's five of your twelve years...

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167858
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
My problems with the global warming theory:
  • I remember in grade school when we were going into an ice age. We watched a scary movie about it and everything. It was settled science.
  • The global warming idea came from the fact that the average surface temperature of the earth has risen 1.8ºF since the 1880's. The thermometer was introduced to medicine in the 1850s and was rejected by a lot of physicians for the next 20 or so years. I doubt that we had enough weather temperature stations in the 1880's to have any idea of the average earth's surface temperature. I doubt that we had any idea until satellites were put in orbit to take these readings a few decades ago.
  • How do we know that today's temperature is the right one? Maybe we're in a correction and it's finally getting better. The options are (1) this temperature is best, (2) colder is better, or (3) warmer is better. Why did we pick this one?
  • Global warming isn't science. I know this because science is about questioning everything. Even things that we absolutely know to be correct, like Newtonian physics have been proven to not always be right. But you can't question global warming. It's settled science - which makes it not science.

Last edited by maintenanceguy; 02/03/21 06:29 PM.

-Ryan
    Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: white marlin] #7167864
    02/03/21 06:31 PM
    02/03/21 06:31 PM
    Ky
    J
    jbyrd63 Offline OP
    trapper
    jbyrd63  Offline OP
    trapper
    J

Ky
    Originally Posted by white marlin
    exactly, Mike.

from 2016 right through 2019, PA had the wettest four years in recorded history. a direct result of Climate change?

in 2020, we had a fairly severe drought across the state. a direct result of climate change?

or are those examples more likely attributable to natural weather variability?

that's five of your twelve years...

That's my point Mother nature has checks and balances. Combine the years together and rain fall was about normal...

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: white marlin] #7167868
    02/03/21 06:34 PM
    02/03/21 06:34 PM
    NWT
    Ryan McLeod Offline
    trapper
    Ryan McLeod  Offline
    trapper

NWT
    so, if you're thirty years old, your entire work experience is what...12 years?

not a scientifically significant data set...

I’m 37. Been hunting since I was two so I’ve seen changes. I work with researchers that have been doing this stuff for 40-50 years. I’ve got a good idea what I’m talking about. I’m finished with this thread though because there’s just no showing people anything that know everything already. Only on trapperman can an avid hunter who lives and works in the delta be told how things really work up here by people who’ve never been here. And once again my age doesn’t discredit any information I’ve shared. I mean I know some of you are old as dirt but that doesn’t mean you’re smarter than someone that’s younger. I’ve seen a lot in my life. Shoot I’ve probably shot more caribou than all lower 48 T-Man members put together. Carry on though I’ll save my time and not share any first hand observations.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: maintenanceguy] #7167872
    02/03/21 06:37 PM
    02/03/21 06:37 PM
    new york
    M
    mike mason Offline
    trapper
    mike mason  Offline
    trapper
    M

new york
    You got it, I remember an organic chem lab in college and a student reading a thermometer to 3 significant digits. The prof gave him an F because the thermometer was only good to 2.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167874
    02/03/21 06:40 PM
    02/03/21 06:40 PM
    NWT
    Ryan McLeod Offline
    trapper
    Ryan McLeod  Offline
    trapper

NWT
    Originally Posted by jbyrd63
    Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod

Maybe the less snow coverage isn't because of the man's pollution . Maybe less snow is because the lack of it. You are WAYYY too young to remember the "ACID" rain gloom and doom. "it will be so bad it will eat the paint off the car hoods" That was one motto for the lefties. BUT one thing you nor any of your climate guru's can dispute is the effects of emmisions on the farmers soil. Since the coal fired boilers and power plants have gone away the farmers have had to up the nutrients in the fertilizer. Pot ash is one in particular. Just like the oil spill in the gulf. You guys screamed the ocean was doomed. In less than 6 months mother nature corrected that.
    Let me throw something out for you to chew on . Less snow could be because the jet stream doesn't carry moisture across an area for it to snow. Well who's to say that the wind farms aren't changing the jet stream. Maybe slowing the rotation( out there I know) . BUT no one would study the effects of wind turbines because lefty Joe, AL ,Kerry and their minions wouldn't have anywhere to throw our money ....

Ok except I didn’t scream about the ocean being doomed. No need to lump me in with any other groups. I’m just talking for myself here

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167884
    02/03/21 06:49 PM
    02/03/21 06:49 PM
    W
    white marlin Offline
    trapper
    white marlin  Offline
    trapper
    W

Ryan,

I do have to question the conclusions you drew from your experiences as a two year old...

I don't wish to argue with you...you have your mind made up for your reasons; as do I.

Last edited by white marlin; 02/03/21 06:57 PM.
    Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: white marlin] #7167896
    02/03/21 07:01 PM
    02/03/21 07:01 PM
    NWT
    Ryan McLeod Offline
    trapper
    Ryan McLeod  Offline
    trapper

NWT
    Ryan,

I do have to question the conclusions you drew from your experiences as a two year old...

I don't wish to argue with you...you have your mind made up for your reasons; as do I.

Yeah I don’t post anything to argue. Just sharing my point of view based on science and traditional ecological knowledge rather than the paranoia that a political party is out to get me.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167900
    02/03/21 07:02 PM
    02/03/21 07:02 PM
    W
    white marlin Offline
    trapper
    white marlin  Offline
    trapper
    W

question then for you...

would you agree that a correlation in time does not establish a scientific "cause and effect" relationship?

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167929
    02/03/21 07:22 PM
    02/03/21 07:22 PM
    Barnum, MN
    S
    ScottW Offline
    trapper
    ScottW  Offline
    trapper
    S

Barnum, MN
    You gave it a try Ryan, thanks for your input. Some of us do actually value varying opinions, and even varying facts. Happy trapping! ScottW

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167932
    02/03/21 07:23 PM
    02/03/21 07:23 PM
    W
    white marlin Offline
    trapper
    white marlin  Offline
    trapper
    W

"varying facts", Gracie???

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167933
    02/03/21 07:24 PM
    02/03/21 07:24 PM
    NWT
    Ryan McLeod Offline
    trapper
    Ryan McLeod  Offline
    trapper

NWT
    I agree WT and the event that kicks it all off here in the north where none of you live and therefore know less about is higher temperatures.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: jbyrd63] #7167937
    02/03/21 07:29 PM
    02/03/21 07:29 PM
    W
    white marlin Offline
    trapper
    white marlin  Offline
    trapper
    W

not QUITE following you, Ryan....

but here's the thing: many of us might agree that the earth is getting warmer, at least in the short term.

Where I'm having a problem, is buying the line that humans are CAUSING it. we may in fact BE influencing climate, but that argument has NOT been scientifically proven.

all that side has as arguments are imperfect computer models and a correlation in time.

Re: Global warming Karma. [Re: white marlin] #7167938
    02/03/21 07:30 PM
    02/03/21 07:30 PM
    Barnum, MN
    S
    ScottW Offline
    trapper
    ScottW  Offline
    trapper
    S

Barnum, MN
    "varying facts", Gracie???

When I typed that I knew somebody would surely question the language. What I was thinking is that what may be a fact to Ryan in his world and experiences isn't acceptable as a fact to so many others. Doesn't mean it can't be a fact. Varying facts I suppose could be compared to fake news, maybe I just came up with the greatest new catch phrase! Happy trapping! ScottW

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Previous Thread
    Index
    Next Thread