No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Washington/Idaho [Re: Wanna Be] #7267085
05/18/21 05:46 PM
05/18/21 05:46 PM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline
trapper
RockCrick  Offline
trapper
R

Oregon
The NW is turkey country anymore, more people getting into it now but still plenty of opportunities on public land and private timber with public access unlocks a lot more access. I’ve hunted in northern Idaho, east of Moscow and had plenty of willing landowners and even got invites to come back for elk and deer in the fall. Moscow area is farm country and farmers were pretty open to hunt anything that eats wheat or garbanzo beans. Far northern Idaho is even better for bird numbers but I’ve never hunted there. I’d recommend coming for the beginning of the season (april 15 most places). It seems like the birds really disperse when higher elevations melt off later in the season.

I’ve also hunted them in the midwest and they are much easier to call in and kill in the NW. Less pressure, less call shy? I don’t know, but that’s my experience. I am sure you’ll be able to get into some birds in Northern Idaho or areas around Spokane. Another hot spot is SE Washington in the higher elevations outside of Clarkston and up the Clearwater River in Idaho. Oregon has phenomenal turkey hunting too but you are getting further away if you want to base out of Spokane. There is always the fall seasons which is basically shooting fish in a barrel but you could couple it with other hunts.

Re: Washington/Idaho [Re: Wanna Be] #7267090
05/18/21 05:54 PM
05/18/21 05:54 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Thank you sir. Don’t take this wrong but as of now I have no desire to shoot a Fall bird. Granted I’ve never hunted them during the Fall (no Fall season here) but if they ain’t strutting or gobbling I want no part of it. That’s one of the reasons I’ll never get a World Slam...don’t want to hunt a turkey that looks like a Peacock and sings instead of gobbling.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 05/18/21 05:54 PM.
Re: Washington/Idaho [Re: Wanna Be] #7267091
05/18/21 05:56 PM
05/18/21 05:56 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
If we could get our Washington and Idaho birds in short order we are planning to hit Montana and if that happens quick and we can get back to Spokane to rest a day we even talked about heading South if we could find something in northern Oregon.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 05/18/21 05:57 PM.
Re: Washington/Idaho [Re: Wanna Be] #7267164
05/18/21 07:33 PM
05/18/21 07:33 PM
Oregon
R
RockCrick Offline
trapper
RockCrick  Offline
trapper
R

Oregon
I hear ya, fall hunts are basically population control since you can shoot hens. They’re often dumb as a post in the fall. I don’t even take a call, I just put the sneak on them to make it semi challenging. It’s really just something to do. Our fall season runs from mid Oct through the end of January with the latter two months being private land only (damage control). Pretty wierd hunting turkeys in a foot of snow and single digits in December lol.

Re: Washington/Idaho [Re: Wanna Be] #7267429
05/18/21 11:44 PM
05/18/21 11:44 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I'm a meat hunter, I hunt deer, elk, turkeys, whatever for meat. If I'm hunting something for sport it is a predator and most likely with hounds. If you like to call them in great, I'll admit it is kind of fun to hear them or watch them coming in (nothing like calling in a bull elk though, no matter what anybody says) but it is kind of fun to run and gun them also. I'll do whatever is most efficient, which more often than not is to remember to throw a shotgun in the rig when I am going bear hunting wink

If I had to actually pick a method as most fun and sporting I would say to run and gun over calling; but that's just me, whatever turns your crank is what you should do.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread