No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274026
05/27/21 10:12 PM
05/27/21 10:12 PM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
A dog is a dog and should be treated as such as many know my dog zip one of the best dogs I have ever seen but I can't say she would not bite. Growing up I had one of the best beagles around people from all around hunted her one day a girl was walking down the road the dog just ran out and bites her on the leg.

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274031
05/27/21 10:19 PM
05/27/21 10:19 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
What was your dog doing loose near a public road?? why did you not call the dog back when it ran to a stranger ??

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: James] #7274042
05/27/21 10:31 PM
05/27/21 10:31 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by James
It's the same in human beings, btw. Ever hear of the Warrior gene?
Jim

James, you should look at the newer real research on the warrior gene. It does not make people more violent. It makes people able to make quick, accurate decisions. It helps with playing games like most card games. 33% of the population carries the warrior gene. Every president, except Harding, up through President Trump is descended from people who carried the gene including William the Conqueror, Rollo, Niall of the Nine Hostages, King John Lackland, Heremon and Heber. biden probably has the gene too. All current European monarchs have that ancestry. It's almost a prerequisite for leading in the Western World.

I would guess most Trapperman members have the gene too.

Keith

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: Jim H] #7274083
05/27/21 10:59 PM
05/27/21 10:59 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by Jim H
Originally Posted by Scuba1
I don't usually get involved in these threads. But please folks get it into your heads that 99% of the time its the owner that need put down not the dog. Most pit bulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers, German shepards are either owned to protect homes and families or for show. ... these days mostly for show and only few of them are trained right. reasons are that the folks who own them don't know how to train a dog and or can't afford someone to do it for them. So please don't be so quick as to put the blame on the dog. Its like putting the blame on the firearm when a nutcase goes out shooting a joint up.

This! I rescued an abused Rottie 15 years ago. He was a sweet dog. He lived me and my yellow Lab at the time. His abusive past caught up with him once he bonded with the 2 of us. The Male figure in his previous home beat him. He NEVER once associated that with me, however any other man ... brothers, father.. that came over, he did show aggressive behavior. I ended up having to put him down for that reason. 2nd hardest decision I've had to make, after having to put down said yellow Lab for medical reasons. Flip side to this is a past girlfriend's brother had a massive Rottie who was a teddie bear from the time I met him. He would drop his tennis ball at my foot and when I'd pick it up he'd growl like a grizzly bear. It was intimidating until I was told that's how he let's you know he was playing! I loved that dog!

I currently have a German Shepherd. She has a bigger heart than my black Lab. I trust that dog with my grandson's life! I don't have experience with dobermans or pitbulls so I won't comment on those breeds, but German Shepherds and Rotties, I can say, their upbringing determines their personalities.

Poodles however, are some of the meanest dogs I've met!

James, please site your sources on Rotties. As stated, they are a herding dog, not a fighting or guarding breed. I am sorry your son was bit though, I'd put a .44 to ANY dog that did that.

I didn't consult any authorities. My opinions are based on my experience.

That is a weakness in my reasoning: reliance on personal anecdote. I know that. But I don't care. I don't trust Rotts. Especially ones that are raised like human babies, like my brother and his wife do.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274103
05/27/21 11:19 PM
05/27/21 11:19 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Beautiful looking dog, Scuba1

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274110
05/27/21 11:26 PM
05/27/21 11:26 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
My best buddy

Let's go Brandon

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274161
05/28/21 02:20 AM
05/28/21 02:20 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Beautiful dog scuba1. It is obvious from this thread and others that several on here don’t have very much understanding of our canine companions. They don’t understand some of the most basic instincts of dogs. They speak of “not trusting “ them when at the visceral level it is fear of them. I have had several people say to me “I don’t like dogs and they don’t like me”. Well DUH! Canines can sense fear very quickly in another mammal, it is part of their genetic hardwire. It is the owner/trainers responsibility to socialize these instincts to positive outcomes.
I wonder if they saw a 98 lb lion hound go from sitting at heel to full on attack mode, under restraint, back to sitting at heel then released from restraint and told to go say hello to the man all by voice commands? That man was a U.S.Customs agent. And I promise you that he still remembers that day and why he should ask if it’s OK to look in someone’s vehicle. Would they trust that dog? How about if that same dog took a little girl by the arm and pushed her back through the doggie door the girl crawled through when the dog was trying to get away from her all without leaving a mark on her? Would they trust him then? The answer is more than likely no and fear is the reason.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274162
05/28/21 02:31 AM
05/28/21 02:31 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
I will also agree that some dogs, just like horses, cattle, cats, and most of the higher mammals including people ARE NUTS. And rage syndrome in canines is a real thing. And remember the vicious attack C.Chavez the dog whisperer suffered was from a yellow LABRADOR RETRIEVER. Yep! Kill Them All. Good luck with that.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274164
05/28/21 04:05 AM
05/28/21 04:05 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
It is a sad story indeed. I do know from reading newspapers, court reportings, personal experience and factual stories from people I know it's mostly just a few dog breeds that make vicious attacks. A lab is also a large dog breed but is this the dog you hear about biting maiming and killing people, probably not. I know I know it's how you raise them, cite your cases yada yada. I say use your senses and be aware the of your surroundings and keep small children away for all dogs that aren't raised with them

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274169
05/28/21 04:58 AM
05/28/21 04:58 AM
Northern Minnesota
W
Weatherby270 Offline
trapper
Weatherby270  Offline
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
I'm starting to wonder whether shelter dogs are worth the trouble. I've never seen one that wasn't messed up in some way, and neither has anyone I know. It's like buying a used car without test-driving it, and without an inspection.

I'm sure there are good "rescue dogs" (I hate that term) out there, but I've never seen one.

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274185
05/28/21 06:09 AM
05/28/21 06:09 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I agree Weatherby. I’ve never known a dog from a shelter or a pound but didn’t have some sort of mental/behavioral issues.

Eh...wot?

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274234
05/28/21 07:35 AM
05/28/21 07:35 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
James said
Rotts are bred to be mean, aggressive dogs.
and
I didn't consult any authorities. My opinions are based on my experience.

The Rottweiler breed was originally developed as a herding dog and were not bred to be mean or aggressive. This is documented fact, not an individual opinion. Certain individual breeders in modern times may have focused on more aggressive traits. I don't know if this is the case, and by his own admission, neither does James. Those would not be reputable breeders as they would be breeding dogs that do not meet the AKC Standard.

Temperament: The Rottweiler is basically a calm, confident and courageous dog with a selfassured aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. A
Rottweiler is self-confident and responds quietly and with a wait-and-see attitude to influences in
his environment. He has an inherent desire to protect home and family, and is an intelligent dog
of extreme hardness and adaptability with a strong willingness to work, making him especially
suited as a companion, guardian and general all-purpose dog.
The behavior of the Rottweiler in the show ring should be controlled, willing and adaptable,
trained to submit to examination of mouth, testicles, etc. An aloof or reserved dog should not be
penalized, as this reflects the accepted character of the breed. An aggressive or belligerent
attitude towards other dogs should not be faulted.
A judge shall excuse from the ring any shy Rottweiler. A dog shall be judged fundamentally shy
if, refusing to stand for examination, it shrinks away from the judge. A dog that in the opinion of
the judge menaces or threatens him/her, or exhibits any sign that it may not be safely approached
or examined by the judge in the normal manner, shall be excused from the ring. A dog that in the
opinion of the judge attacks any person in the ring shall be disqualified

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7274260
05/28/21 08:24 AM
05/28/21 08:24 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
Beautiful looking dog, Scuba1

Yes it is!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274373
05/28/21 10:22 AM
05/28/21 10:22 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

I've met a fair number of yall and over the years I don't know how visible they are but I got a good mess of stitches in my face and it was from a hound. I was only about 2 and the neighbor down the road had a couple older dogs he let run in the back yard. Anyway at feeding time he made sure their bowls were 5 or 6 feet apart so they didn't fight and I tried to dash through that gap but from behind.

I can usually understand and identify an animal with an issue that could potentially cause then to snap but sometimes it is a situation and those things happen fast.

The man offered to put the dog down but my family wouldn't have it. The mistake was on me, not the dog who was just doing what a dog does when another dog (so far as he knew) tries to horn in on his bowl

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274391
05/28/21 10:43 AM
05/28/21 10:43 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Spot on EdP.

Eh...wot?

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274402
05/28/21 10:55 AM
05/28/21 10:55 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

I've had livestock most of my life so most of the dogs I keep are workin dogs. When my boy was small I saw my dog place itself between my boy and a horse or cow (even on the other side of a fence) several times and it made me confident that dog considered protecting that kid as a duty. I was confident- dogs square up to anything who threatens their flock as opposed to a member of the flock itself.

If you have kids or grandkids pay attention to how your dog or anyone elses interacts with them. If the dog automatically accept all humans as it's dominant things should go well.

If he does not, you have a responsibility to keep the kids safe and it should not matter what needs done to accomplish it

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274405
05/28/21 11:02 AM
05/28/21 11:02 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
A similar thing happened with one of my current labs Leftlane. I was at a family camp for a summer vacation with extended family. About 8 o’clock one evening I heard a dog squeal then a child crying. I rushed out onto the front porch to see what was going on. My lab had bitten a five-year-old boy in the face.

I ordered the dog into my truck, told my wife I’d be back the next day and started the four hour trip home with the intent of burying that dog in our pet cemetery.

On the drive home I got a call from the kids dad, my nephew. They had put together what happened, there were two witnesses, my mom and a step-sister. The boy, who is used to roughhousing with their beagle, had leapt on my sleeping lab and apparently jumped on him hard enough to hurt him pretty bad. The dog reacted by biting the closest thing to him, the kids face.

The boys dad pleaded with me not to kill the dog. I agreed to at least postpone it until I was a lot less angry and had time to think about it rationally.

I didn’t kill the dog. I never took him back to that camp though even though everyone has asked me multiple times to do so.

That incident was clearly not the dogs fault, he was simply reacting to what he no doubt perceived as a painful attack from an unknown source.

Eh...wot?

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274410
05/28/21 11:10 AM
05/28/21 11:10 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Yeah I agree we can all be saddened and sure do a better job of never putting the dog into a bad situation but putting that dog down would accomplish nothing except to give your shovel a job.

Over the years I've raised a good number of rodeo bulls and penne multiple yearling and 2 yr old colts together so kids in my back yard got a lot of supervision until I was confident they were learning to avoid the stock that I didn't have a handle on yet.

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: drasselt] #7274411
05/28/21 11:13 AM
05/28/21 11:13 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

FYI colts play a lot of grab (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and even a small playful kick could crack a skull or snap a neck and all it would take is one time

Re: Very sad - Rottweilers this time [Re: Turtledale] #7274420
05/28/21 11:30 AM
05/28/21 11:30 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Originally Posted by Turtledale
It is a sad story indeed. I do know from reading newspapers, court reportings, personal experience and factual stories from people I know it's mostly just a few dog breeds that make vicious attacks. A lab is also a large dog breed but is this the dog you hear about biting maiming and killing people, probably not. I know I know it's how you raise them, cite your cases yada yada. I say use your senses and be aware the of your surroundings and keep small children away for all dogs that aren't raised with them

You seem to leave out a very important thing in your statement there. Demographics. You average hood rat that wants to be seen as a tough guy and mean with no idea how to train a dog is unlikely to get himself a poodle or chihuahua and gannny from next door is not likely to have mastic as a lap warmer now is she. You just go right ahead and blame the breed when I say for the most part again its the peoples fault.

Let's go Brandon

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread