No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rifle technique [Re: 30/06] #7313505
07/25/21 03:42 PM
07/25/21 03:42 PM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
People have called us liars for years but I have experienceed a rifle that is sighted in for one person be completely off for another. One example is my dad and little brother and I and deer rifles. I could pick up my dad's rifle and center punch anything you pointed at and he could do the same thing with my rifle but neither of us could get anywhere close with my brother's rifle nor he with ours all the same model rifle with the same stock and virtually identical scopes. Don't know what caused it but I was a fact. Possibly because my dad and I were both heavier built and had bigger shoulders than my brother and it made for a different hold. I have also seen a friend who could drive nails with a bipod off a bench not hit an 8 inch circle with the same gun at the same distance laying prone with his bipod on the ground. Turned out to be the difference in material that the bipod was setting on. The recoil reacts differently on different surfaces.

Re: Rifle technique [Re: 30/06] #7313509
07/25/21 03:47 PM
07/25/21 03:47 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Originally Posted by 30/06
Cheek weld is definitely different from bench to prone for both of us. The rifle butt also fits into the shoulder differently too, because of obvious difference in the spine's angle relative to the bore.

if the cheek weld is different I do not think that you can expect the same point of impact.....you might have to find a way to make the same weld influence your point of aim. It would be best to shoot from the position you will be shooting for real from with the same/similar rest. When possible I prefer sitting on my butt, knees up and using a two legged shooting stick if that is not possible I would prefer to brace off of a tree...no benches where I hunt and prone is not usually practical although I have shot two deer from prone in cut crop fields. Both times I had to crawl around some brush because they came out a different place from where I expected them to come out....I keep a bipod on my rifle for that and for placing it on the ground while hunting. Good luck.

The above is jmo, I am not an expert.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Rifle technique [Re: 30/06] #7313518
07/25/21 04:08 PM
07/25/21 04:08 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Bought my grand daughter a single shot 22 cricket. Has a peep sight. She is so tiny its the only firearm she can shoot. I had to cut the stock down on her red ryder bb gun.

She was shooting with the gun twisted stead of perpendicular. I had to keep reminding her at first. This was at 20 yards. Got to where she was whacking the black pretty good. She started getting bored so we quit. I think a few more times she is going to be ready for a squirrel hunt.

[Linked Image]

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Rifle technique [Re: 30/06] #7319475
08/01/21 11:36 PM
08/01/21 11:36 PM
Interior Alaska
30/06 Offline OP
trapper
30/06  Offline OP
trapper

Interior Alaska
I think we have our problem ironed out. Turns out her bipod allows the rifle to rotate a little. In aviation terms we'd call it the roll axis. We shot today paying attention to that possibility and were rewarded with consistency. We sighted in her .308 with hunting ammo, Nosler brand 168gr. loads. We'll probably shoot the hunting loads at 200 yds one more time, and save 20 or so rounds for our hunt, which starts about the 12th. As a side note, I'm becoming fond of her Bergara rifle, and I also like the bipod we attached. We'll be above tree line on tundra.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread