No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: Posco] #7337585
08/23/21 12:42 PM
08/23/21 12:42 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Posco
How do you suppose the early saints would have responded had the emperor deemed their services non-essential gatherings? What would he have done, throw them to the lions?

Little harder to decipher now that the emperor has religion too and a roaring lion is still on the loose.

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7337593
08/23/21 12:57 PM
08/23/21 12:57 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Jesus was EXACTLY right. Those whom He had made did not know Him and those who who profess His name will not be popular. Then. Or now.
The religious conspired to kill Him and the rest is history.
Probably best if we attempt to aid those who require it and get along with other believers as we do that.

My stance would be that debate (faith seeking understanding) is healthy. None of us are Inspired as to our philosophy of Scriptural interpretation so it's biblical to gather and discuss the Word amongst other believers. That's exactly what the early church did.
But like the Judiazers of that early Church era, people today can be hard hearted and desire no other opinions but their own.
Church elders would hopefully work as a Spirit gifted body to do what is right for their individual churches.
They should be no one saying, "my God," and what "I" want but rather "the God of the Bible," and what He would ask of us.

Bottom line:
Whether 66 or 73 books in their Bibles, we pray that leaders don't come to Scripture to confirm their biases (everyone has biases) but rather to be transformed by God's Word and work through life's struggles as a Nation of Priests called by God to be so. After all, all Scripture is Inspired by God and profitable in immeasurable ways.

That said, I tend to learn the most from people who I can cordially disagree with.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7337696
08/23/21 03:14 PM
08/23/21 03:14 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
I am afraid that if two argued today over whose baby it was and Solomon offered to cut it into. The argument might be who got the biggest piece !

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7337719
08/23/21 03:54 PM
08/23/21 03:54 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Critical thinking and dialog has been replaced by the 140 characters and cynicism and criticism in far too many hearts.
The Early Church Fathers wrote at length on Scripture and often agreed to disagree on theology which was not directly handed to them by the Apostles.
2000 years after the New Covenant, are we today somehow perfect in our observation - interpretation - application hermeneutics compared to say the disciple of John > Polycarp who got his theology directly from John? How could we be?

Some enjoy good conversation.
Some more than others.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7337727
08/23/21 04:06 PM
08/23/21 04:06 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
So the hunter and the bear compromised. Both got their wish. The hunter got the fur coat and the bear got a fully belly. Compromise is good !

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7337734
08/23/21 04:19 PM
08/23/21 04:19 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
“But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.”

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7337747
08/23/21 04:55 PM
08/23/21 04:55 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Let's imagine that early Jew who was cast by the Levitical Priests as being unclean around 60AD because he or she had placed faith in the Gospel of a resurrected Galilean. Judiazers despised them and ostracized them from any employment. Gentiles were polytheists with multiple gods and mocked anyone with only one god as weak spiritually. The book "to the Hebrews" was probably written to encourage those persecuted Christian Jews who could no longer attend the synagogue (Temple) which would be destroyed in a few years anyway and who probably were hard pressed to find work. The societal pressures in all this must have been chaotic in Jerusalem since the Temple would be destroyed by the Romans in a few years and paganism was brought in by brute force.

Christian baptism was a cleansing and the initiation into the Church family for those whom most of society considered unclean, unwise, heretical, at best and canabalistic at worst.
Early believers had it very rough indeed. They chose the superiority of Jesus Christ (theme of the book to the Hebrews) versus returning to Judaism or converting to polytheistic pagan gods, but it must have been brutal.

But remember the former days, when, after being enlightened, you endured a great conflict of sufferings, partly by being made a public spectacle through reproaches and tribulations, and partly by becoming sharers with those who were so treated. For you showed sympathy to the prisoners and accepted joyfully the seizure of your property, knowing that you have for yourselves a better possession and a lasting one. Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised. (Heb 10:32–36).

By Grace, they persevered and today we are the benefactors of their perseverance amidst persecution.
May we do the same for those who follow us.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: Tailhunter] #7337762
08/23/21 05:25 PM
08/23/21 05:25 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted by Tailhunter
“But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.”

I must commend you for stepping up into the discussion with a quote that is hard to dispute. Some might have a problem with our.
Most have chosen to sit out in their boats with there merchandise and not get in the discussion for one reason or other.

Angela doesn't have a problem with getting in the battle either.

I've seen not so healthy discussions in church before that went down to us 4 and no more. At that point its just a matter of time til the owls and coons move in.

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7337879
08/23/21 08:04 PM
08/23/21 08:04 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
People can have whatever problem they wish. I have no problem with the written word.

“ Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.”

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7337909
08/23/21 08:33 PM
08/23/21 08:33 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Scripture wasn't recorded in the English language so context and translational interpretation from the original Hebrew and Greek are quite helpful when believers gather to seek understanding of the canonical writers from thousands of years ago. Heck, even the English language has undergone major contextual changes since the original KJV.

It's fun to dive in deep among others who think a bit differently.
Glad God didn't make all the image bearers the same.
It'd be boring.
Like trapping coyotes that all looked and acted the same.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338024
08/23/21 10:45 PM
08/23/21 10:45 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Why don't they just fix some of the known printing errors in the bibles we have. Some such as King Jehoiachin is mentioned in 2 chr. 36.9 as being 8 years old when he began to reign, but in 2 kings 24.8 he is mentioned as being 18yrs. old!
Some say he was 8 when started with his daddy and was 18 when he took the throne. Others say since it was an a difference of 10 then it was just a copyist error ?

1Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem thirty-one years. His mother's name was Jedidah the daughter of Adaiah of Bozkath.

Well looks like Hebrew is so private I can't copy it!
=====================================================================
I didn't get the Chron Hebrew version. But finding the language didn't help to solve the problem just added more problems with a language. I guess one could hire an interpreter but who would guarantee his version . If he was wrong I might miss heaven 10 miles instead of years.

====================================================================
Also when you read Jesus do you see Jesus or since the "J" is a new thing maybe you read IESVS in Latin or maybe Iesous in Greek or maybe Y'shua in Hebrew. Which way does Holy Spirit direct you on this ?

I'm thinking if Holy Spirit is not doing His job correctly there may be a lot of red neck hill billies ain't going to the Promised Land if language is that important to get the gist of it!

Last edited by Foxpaw; 08/23/21 10:50 PM.
Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338032
08/23/21 10:59 PM
08/23/21 10:59 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Just think of all the children doomed to hades because they couldn’t read Greek or Hebrew.

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338033
08/23/21 11:00 PM
08/23/21 11:00 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

God's Word is not propositional truth (something that changes). The meaning of Scripture can not change but our application of it may vary.
We live in a time where it is quite common to hear people say "thus sayeth the Lord... as long as I believe it," which is a dangerous position of "I believe God's Word if I agree with it." Wrong positioning between the Creator and the creation.

And it doesn't matter what we interpret but rather what the author intended.

Plain and simply , we are reaping the consequences of the Neo-Orthodox 19th century theologians here in our postmodern time whereby the consequences of human sin have brought about a distrust of authority.
That's on us humans.
God was, is, and always will be God.
It's really rather simple = we obey and honor what we love.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: Tailhunter] #7338034
08/23/21 11:01 PM
08/23/21 11:01 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Tailhunter
Just think of all the children doomed to hades because they couldn’t read Greek or Hebrew.

The Scripture is written in those languages. Your statement is not related to this fact.

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: Foxpaw] #7338042
08/23/21 11:15 PM
08/23/21 11:15 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS

Originally Posted by Foxpaw

1Josiah was eight years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem thirty-one years. His mother's name was Jedidah the daughter of Adaiah of Bozkath.

What verse is this?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338049
08/23/21 11:21 PM
08/23/21 11:21 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

2 Chronicles 34:1 & 2 Kings 22:1

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: Foxpaw] #7338050
08/23/21 11:22 PM
08/23/21 11:22 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
Why don't they just fix some of the known printing errors in the bibles we have. Some such as King Jehoiachin is mentioned in 2 chr. 36.9 as being 8 years old when he began to reign, but in 2 kings 24.8 he is mentioned as being 18yrs. old!
Some say he was 8 when started with his daddy and was 18 when he took the throne. Others say since it was an a difference of 10 then it was just a copyist error ?

Well looks like Hebrew is so private I can't copy it!
=====================================================================
I didn't get the Chron Hebrew version. But finding the language didn't help to solve the problem just added more problems with a language. I guess one could hire an interpreter but who would guarantee his version . If he was wrong I might miss heaven 10 miles instead of years.

====================================================================
Also when you read Jesus do you see Jesus or since the "J" is a new thing maybe you read IESVS in Latin or maybe Iesous in Greek or maybe Y'shua in Hebrew. Which way does Holy Spirit direct you on this ?

I'm thinking if Holy Spirit is not doing His job correctly there may be a lot of red neck hill billies ain't going to the Promised Land if language is that important to get the gist of it!

You might check out the NET Bible which is a collaboration effort by scholars to do just that.

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338055
08/23/21 11:26 PM
08/23/21 11:26 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Could someone please interpret this for me ?

Isaiah 29:10 For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.

11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.

13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

15 Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the LORD, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us?

16 Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?

17 Is it not yet a very little while, and Lebanon shall be turned into a fruitful field, and the fruitful field shall be esteemed as a forest?

18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

19 The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

20 For the terrible one is brought to nought, and the scorner is consumed, and all that watch for iniquity are cut off:

21 That make a man an offender for a word, and lay a snare for him that reproveth in the gate, and turn aside the just for a thing of nought.

22 Therefore thus saith the LORD, who redeemed Abraham, concerning the house of Jacob, Jacob shall not now be ashamed, neither shall his face now wax pale.

23 But when he seeth his children, the work of mine hands, in the midst of him, they shall sanctify my name, and sanctify the Holy One of Jacob, and shall fear the God of Israel.

24 They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine.

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338058
08/23/21 11:29 PM
08/23/21 11:29 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

I just peered onto this path and I swear there's grass covering a big 'ol hole with spikes and such shocked

See also Matthew 15:8 & 1 Cor 1:19 smile

Re: The Sick and the Early Church [Re: ] #7338064
08/23/21 11:37 PM
08/23/21 11:37 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
This is off topic but so is this entire post lol.

What version of the Bible do you all prefer? KJV? I have several various translations. Many of them are QUITE different.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread