No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: ] #7349656
09/07/21 09:46 AM
09/07/21 09:46 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by J Staton
I enjoy a squirrel hunt more than a deer hunt nowadays, but I still deer hunt. Seems I have more patience deer hunting now verses when I was a young man but it's just more painful to sit for hours now.

I'm the other way around. LIVED to squirrel hunt. Now can't stand the mosquitoes and spider webs. Not to mention the ticks and chiggers. Never missed an opening day for 40 years . Haven't been last 5 plus.

Still deer hunt but now its. level ground and ladder stands. Joints and back put a stop to climbing hills and packing climbing stand.

Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7349675
09/07/21 10:56 AM
09/07/21 10:56 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

If I had to hunt out of a tree stand or a ground blind I don't think I would hunt; regardless how old I am. I don't know how you guys do it.
A huge part of the enjoyment of hunting for me is the strategy, the spotting, the stalk, etc.. In other words actually "hunting".

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7349688
09/07/21 11:21 AM
09/07/21 11:21 AM
CO
R
Ringneck1 Offline
trapper
Ringneck1  Offline
trapper
R

CO
I find myself changing between focuses slot more now. It will be pheasants for a couple years, then deer, then turkeys, then walleye fishing. Limited time between work and home so focusing on more than one a year is pretty unlikely today whereas I used to do it all. The one that lasted throughout was waterfowl hunting. But I think the one I liked the best was the one that had the fewest people doing it. Nothing ruins a hunting trip like a bunch of trespass problems. Then I picked up the trapping bug and our commie rules just about ensure that it will never be mainstream so its a great diversion from people.

Hunting is now more about process which is not to say that I will pass up an easy limit of pheasants if there is such a thing here. But I will not pursue a pass shoot hunt for ducks, its gotta be over decoys. Ditto geese. Deer, its gotta be something unique now or a meat buck on the last day.

Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7349749
09/07/21 12:39 PM
09/07/21 12:39 PM
Alpine NY
Rick Otts Offline
trapper
Rick Otts  Offline
trapper

Alpine NY
I have been giving this much thought.All my spots for bowing hunting are so far out and my legs are not wat the use to be.I shot a small deer and was soo happy that it wasn't any bigger because dragging it out was killing me.I am only 62 but have COPD and never smoked along with nerve damage in my legs.I think my hunting will be limited to the corn fields outside my front door.

Rick Otts
Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7349757
09/07/21 01:04 PM
09/07/21 01:04 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
65 this year and we will see what happens, the last few years I have not hunted much but this year I want to put up meat. I can kill half a dozen deer so it is alot of meat. I think food prices will go up more soon so I want to get some put up....

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: waggler] #7349762
09/07/21 01:19 PM
09/07/21 01:19 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by waggler
If I had to hunt out of a tree stand or a ground blind I don't think I would hunt; regardless how old I am. I don't know how you guys do it.
A huge part of the enjoyment of hunting for me is the strategy, the spotting, the stalk, etc.. In other words actually "hunting".

Stand placement is a strategy all in itself. But both B&C deer I killed were shot as I still hunted back to the truck. 85% of the deer I have killed I was walking. My son and hunting buddies call it shrub mode Deer just stare at me and let me walk up on them or pass on by if it’s one I won’t shoot. Got tons of video footage as I pull my phone out and record them but don’t know how to post videos here

Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7349785
09/07/21 02:23 PM
09/07/21 02:23 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Different strokes for different folks and different situations....it all good in the end actually.

smile

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: ] #7349795
09/07/21 02:53 PM
09/07/21 02:53 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher

So in other words only folks that spot and stalk are hunters? As outdoors man and woman maybe we shouldn't look down our nose to judge so much and pick each other apart? Ground blinds and tree stands are out of bounds but trucks to get us out there 4 wheelers, boats, binoculars, modern weapons, GPS, attracting and cover scents, or any other tools of the trade are fair game?

Having lived and hunted in Alaska for several years and having done the same in Maine for years has given me plenty of time to reflect on these things. Spot & stalk Alaska hunting is by far easier than tree stand hunting whitetail deer in northern Maine. Glassing an animal two miles away and having a stiff wind to your advantage makes S&S relatively easy. A bear preoccupied with munching on blueberries isn't a hard animal to take.

Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: Marty] #7349797
09/07/21 02:54 PM
09/07/21 02:54 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Marty
Different strokes for different folks and different situations....it all good in the end actually.

smile

For sure.

Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: ] #7349855
09/07/21 05:02 PM
09/07/21 05:02 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Dawg Catcher

So in other words only folks that spot and stalk are hunters? As outdoors man and woman maybe we shouldn't look down our nose to judge so much and pick each other apart? Ground blinds and tree stands are out of bounds but trucks to get us out there 4 wheelers, boats, binoculars, modern weapons, GPS, attracting and cover scents, or any other tools of the trade are fair game?

No, I was trying to say I don't have the patience to sit in a tree. Plus, I'm fortunate to hunt in areas where I'm not confined to a particular acreage.

By the way, I do nearly 100% of my personal hunting in the semi-jungles of the temperate rainforests in the pacific northwest; western Washington to SE Alaska. I hunt very little (except guiding) in the open areas of interior Alaska. My typical shot at a blacktail is probably less than 35 yards.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7349884
09/07/21 05:59 PM
09/07/21 05:59 PM
South West Pennsylvania
W
Wingshot Offline
trapper
Wingshot  Offline
trapper
W

South West Pennsylvania
I’ve experienced the “five stages” to some extent but I still love a good upland hunt, squirrel hunting. I shot the largest buck of my life last season as someone who has been a licensed hunter since 1972. Deer hunting lost its flavor (my personal feelings) as the modern day “deer shooters” came to be hip. There’s no matching of wits, woodsmanship, woods craft or hunting skill if you choose go sit in tree house overlooking a giant, deer specific, food plot. I’ve got no gripe with those that harvest their deer that way, just not for me. I would rather skulk around in a thicket trying to get the drop on a bedded buck and have to drag it back to the truck should I choose to take it than to wait for a certain hour of day and pick off one gorging itself on antler enhancing clover. My best days afield come when it’s just me and the setter kicking around a field edge, a warm pot of deer stew on the stove waiting for us to get back in out of the cold. I don’t mean to offend anyone that may take their venison on a cultivated lease or whatever, just my heart felt notions of what has happened to what’s called deer hunting.

Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7349934
09/07/21 07:41 PM
09/07/21 07:41 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
This subject was brought up a year or so ago. I was an avid bow hunter for 35 years, the last few I found myself going out more because it’s just what I’ve always done. I’m on year three of my cabin/house build and just enjoy that so much more now. Never thought this would happen. Now I still Turkey hunt about every morning before work and think cause you get to push the action is what I love more?

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7350007
09/07/21 08:51 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
I only hunt for Grouse and Woodcock now. Nothing else. Used to do it all, geese, ducks, squirrels, pheasants, deer.

I still fish, but only for lake run Trout in the streams/rivers.
I have been doing it for long enough to know when and where to go.
I pretty much only fish at the best times and places.
There are times when you can pretty much guarantee a fish.

I more than likely will give up the hunting end of it first as its more work to get to and do where as the fishing is about 20 minutes from my door.

Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7350008
wantage n.j.
E
eric space Offline
trapper
eric space  Offline
trapper
E

wantage n.j.
At 69 I like to think I hunt smarter than when I was young. I usta' shoot bucks 2 miles back in the woods from the nearest road and drag them out to the road. Now when I hunt in those woods I take a backpack and bone them out on the spot, if I decide to shoot one. Most times I don't even gut them, except a small slit to get the tenderloins, and don't even bring out the horns (antlers, to those who don't live in Jersey). Often have a bear on the remains before I get out of sight of them. Have to keep watch when boning out the deer.

Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7350031
09/07/21 09:03 PM
09/07/21 09:03 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I am enjoying the responses and many do show how we change as we age or mature and much not due to being less able, just spending time doing what is enjoyable. It is really good that reward and satisfaction come in many forms for all of us. I have hunted out of an off the ground stand for deer two days out of 58 years of deer hunting. I missed one season while in Nam an another when we took 10 days off to go to Hawaii.

Bryce

Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7350053
09/07/21 09:17 PM
09/07/21 09:17 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I'm with Waggler. I have hunted most ways,but prefer spot and stalk hunting.Where I am,I always thought waiting in a blind for bear was a waste of time compared to spot and stalk hunting.
Most moose hunters prefer calling in early fall.Calling and floating a river in fall is an enjoyable hunt.My favorite moose hunts were in winter on snowshoes doing the semi circle hunt.
I enjoy grouse hunting and beaver hunting in the evenings on the river.Last few years all my beaver hunting has been nuisance beaver.

Last edited by Boco; 09/07/21 09:20 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7350068
09/07/21 09:26 PM
09/07/21 09:26 PM
Interior Alaska
O
Oh Snap Offline
trapper
Oh Snap  Offline
trapper
O

Interior Alaska
Come on Boco your not old enough for posting on this thread! Just ask yourself…..LOL

I love the smell of burning spruce---I love the sound of a spring time goose---I love the feel of 40 below---from my trapline I will never go!
Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7350078
09/07/21 09:33 PM
09/07/21 09:33 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I feel old some days,maybe not old enough yet though.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Hunting as you get older. [Re: BKS] #7350156
09/07/21 10:36 PM
09/07/21 10:36 PM
Indiana
C
coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
I still love to hunt big game but I’m getting to the point now where I have more fun rabbit hunting and bird hunting with friends and family. Anymore it’s more about the fun group hunts. We have 2 wirehaired pointing griffons we are training ( our first ever bird dogs) and I’m looking forward to being able to hunt them quite a bit.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread