No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Boxing Tonight [Re: Trapper7] #7376903
10/11/21 04:55 PM
10/11/21 04:55 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Trapper7
Chuvalo had a chin of iron. I don't think anyone ever was able to put him on the floor.
I watched him fight on tv a couple times. I don't remember if he won or lost. He got hit a lot, but kept on coming. Reminded me of Rocky Marciano who could really take a punch, but had fists of iron. Marciano was undefeated and almost all of his wins were by knockout. I think he died in a plane crash.

Marciano was the best ever in my opinion.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Boxing Tonight [Re: upstateNY] #7376960
10/11/21 06:05 PM
10/11/21 06:05 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Online content
trapper
Nessmuck  Online Content
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by Boco
I always loved boxing.My dad did some boxing when he was young.
When I was about 10 years old George Chuvalo was training for his fight with Cassius Clay at Gull lake park in Gravenhurst,just north of Toronto in the Muskokas.
My Dad would take me down there(we lived close by at the time) a couple times a week to watch Chuvalo sparring.The old man would explain the moves and counters to me.

Chuvalo lost to Clay.Clay was beat up bad and could not put Chuvalo down.Many believed Chuvalo won that fight.

Clay lost several fights that he was "Awarded".Between that and Don King getting involved,,thats when I pretty much lost interest.

So......no points for fighting Norton with a broken jaw ...since the first round...and finished the fight ? My dad hated Ali ...for the draft dodging....but that man could absorb some punishment,when he had to. And 15 rounds in those days too

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Boxing Tonight [Re: Pike River] #7377588
10/12/21 03:42 PM
10/12/21 03:42 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Ali was one of the greatest heavyweights of all time. I would put Marciano in first place, though.
I preferred watching heavyweights the most. You knew one punch could end it all and often did.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Boxing Tonight [Re: Pike River] #7377614
10/12/21 04:35 PM
10/12/21 04:35 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
One last thing to mention. I went to a ESPN Friday Night Fights in North Dakota some years ago. My wife and I went to eat in the cafeteria. Across the table from us were Teddy Atlas and a movie star named John McGinley. We overheard McGinley trying to get Teddy to say a few good things about this new boxing prospect, Kasiim (The Dream) Ouma who was fighting that night. He was in the main event. Teddy held firm and said he'd have to show some boxing skills to get any sort of endorsement from him.

When McGinley left we had a chance to visit with Teddy. A very nice person. I had ringside seats and who should sit down a couple seats from me? None other than Sugar Ray Leonard! Another very nice person. I heard he was there to see Ouma fight also. Ouma won a unanimous decision. I thought he won every round. He had incredible energy. He averaged throwing about 120 punches per round. He was middleweight champ for around a year. His career was cut short when he got shot in the stomach. He tried to make a comeback after that, but he was never the same.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Boxing Tonight [Re: Pike River] #7377638
10/12/21 05:41 PM
10/12/21 05:41 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Online content
trapper
Nessmuck  Online Content
trapper
N

New Hampshire
A few years back...my friend showed me 2 tickets to a fight at Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun. He said his wife got them for free at work from a guy and they would go gamble and watch the fight and have a nice dinner. I looked at the tickets and said ..you my friend are going to see a heck of a fight....I was jealous.... Mickey Ward vs Arturo Gatti ...#1....I believe it was fight of the year.

Re: Boxing Tonight [Re: Trapper7] #7377640
10/12/21 05:42 PM
10/12/21 05:42 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Online content
trapper
Nessmuck  Online Content
trapper
N

New Hampshire
One last thing to mention. I went to a ESPN Friday Night Fights in North Dakota some years ago. My wife and I went to eat in the cafeteria. Across the table from us were Teddy Atlas and a movie star named John McGinley. We overheard McGinley trying to get Teddy to say a few good things about this new boxing prospect, Kasiim (The Dream) Ouma who was fighting that night. He was in the main event. Teddy held firm and said he'd have to show some boxing skills to get any sort of endorsement from him.

When McGinley left we had a chance to visit with Teddy. A very nice person. I had ringside seats and who should sit down a couple seats from me? None other than Sugar Ray Leonard! Another very nice person. I heard he was there to see Ouma fight also. Ouma won a unanimous decision. I thought he won every round. He had incredible energy. He averaged throwing about 120 punches per round. He was middleweight champ for around a year. His career was cut short when he got shot in the stomach. He tried to make a comeback after that, but he was never the same.

That is cool !

Re: Boxing Tonight [Re: Trapper7] #7377642
10/12/21 05:44 PM
10/12/21 05:44 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Online content
trapper
Nessmuck  Online Content
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Ali was one of the greatest heavyweights of all time. I would put Marciano in first place, though.
I preferred watching heavyweights the most. You knew one punch could end it all and often did.

Just google ...George Foreman vs Ron Lyle.....you wont be disappointed

Re: Boxing Tonight [Re: Pike River] #7377689
10/12/21 07:20 PM
10/12/21 07:20 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Tragic story Chuvalo has lived through. Just terrible. The man has an iron constitution.

Re: Boxing Tonight [Re: tomahawker] #7378109
10/13/21 10:39 AM
10/13/21 10:39 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by tomahawker
Tragic story Chuvalo has lived through. Just terrible. The man has an iron constitution.

He took every punch Foreman hit him with when they fought. The heavy handed Foreman couldn't put him down. Chuvalo took such a pounding, the referee stopped the fight in the 3rd round.
Chuvalo was real upset about that.
Ali said Chuvalo was the toughest man he ever fought.

Re: Boxing Tonight [Re: Nessmuck] #7378120
10/13/21 10:51 AM
10/13/21 10:51 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Nessmuck

Just google ...George Foreman vs Ron Lyle.....you wont be disappointed

I watched it. Wow! It was voted fight of the year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread