No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: yukonjeff] #7432076
12/15/21 10:02 AM
12/15/21 10:02 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Lots of ranchers do that here.

I like grass fed cows, a lot of people don't. They say it's too gamy.

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: yukonjeff] #7432083
12/15/21 10:23 AM
12/15/21 10:23 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I trap on a guy that’s all about grass fed beef big rancher with some nice cattle never tried it myself.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: upstateNY] #7432086
12/15/21 10:25 AM
12/15/21 10:25 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Advertising beef as "grass fed" plays to city folk that don't know squat about good beef.I raised my own for years,,along with my own pigs and chickens.Good beef has been grain finished.

Yes Sir ree

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: Law Dog] #7432096
12/15/21 10:32 AM
12/15/21 10:32 AM
Alberta
N
Norwestalta Offline
trapper
Norwestalta  Offline
trapper
N

Alberta
I don't really care for it myself. I much prefer barley finished beef. Your flavour comes from the fat, which the barley, oats and corn will put on. If you think about all beef are grass fed because that's what they eat. I've raised my own cattle only to find out that is a good way to go broke. I now custom graze on my land and prefer to let someone else take the financial risk on the market. For the last couple years we've been buying beef locally for under $4.00 lb. It's finished with oat/barley ration. Sure is good.

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: adam m] #7432099
12/15/21 10:36 AM
12/15/21 10:36 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by adam m

The part that cracks me up is,,they are ALL grass fed most of their lives.Its what you do with them after they reach 900 lbs or so.You can keep them eating just grass,,,or finish them out by weaning them slowly into grain.Finished out on grain for the last three to six months,in my opinion,,makes a nicer marbled better tasting beef.But,,to each their own.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: yukonjeff] #7432109
12/15/21 10:43 AM
12/15/21 10:43 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by yukonjeff
I have been watching YouTube video's on nutrition and health and they all are pushing grass fed and grass finished beef. These guys have millions of views and subscribers and they all must be looking for GFF I waswondering if anyone is capitlizing on this market. Looks like you could get a premium if you can market it yourself selling quarters or prepackaged or not legal perhaps.

Also, pasture raised chicken and eggs are the rage. You could probabaly get $20 a dozen and bird.

I have a friend who is.
I help him out with things sometimes at the farm

he is running about 120 head and expanding every year , all direct market , he started at farmers markets , then area delivery point , and with covid the FedEx truck comes on Thursday and your meat is delivered Friday in a cooler box.

they expanded a bunch through covid free shipping over 100 or 150 , people regularly order a couple three hundred in meat

chickens , turkeys , pork , lamb , beef all pastured , the hogs still need a grower feed.

his family has been operating this farm over 100 years they always did Hertford and had bulls and bread and calved , now he has a cow calf operation out in the central plains that is a nights drive they load them on a transport just before sun down and are here in the morning. they haven't the grass to finish them out there but they have better calving conditions than we do here. so it works out for both
he has mostly angus and park now

they rotationally graze they move the wire every other day to new grass

when his wife showed me some of the first steaks grass finished yes I could see the difference in marbling , however they are some of the best steaks I have ever had and just light years ahead of grocery store.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: yukonjeff] #7432111
12/15/21 10:48 AM
12/15/21 10:48 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
It comes down to the finish for me if meat is marbled with fat that you can’t trim I’m not interested in buying it fat and my gut do not get along.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: Law Dog] #7432113
12/15/21 10:52 AM
12/15/21 10:52 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Law Dog
It comes down to the finish for me if meat is marbled with fat that you can’t trim I’m not interested in buying it fat and my gut do not get along.

Very good point.Some folks have restricted diets that have to be considered.

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: yukonjeff] #7432118
12/15/21 10:58 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the rotational grazing is really good for the soil , the only machinery needed is a cutter , rake , bailer and skid loader with bail spike

good for the wild life also year round forage

you can see the place next door is feet lower at the fence line from plowing and planting every year compared to stuff that has been pasture for a long time

there is a picture I saw once in Iowa the church in 1900 and something and the same church in 2000 something the fields surrounding it were about 6 feet lower than where they had been a hundred years earlier

with cattle on new grass every other day , and minerals available all the time, vet bills are very low

with the right diet most everything stays very healthy.

the "green" BS is to sell you some new thing you don't need made in a lab that fractionally at best less energy consuming than the grain model , the real green and good for the environment answer is old as time , pasture cattle , grow vegetables and eat a good stew it has most everything you need also.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7432119
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by yukonjeff
I have been watching YouTube video's on nutrition and health and they all are pushing grass fed and grass finished beef. These guys have millions of views and subscribers and they all must be looking for GFF I waswondering if anyone is capitlizing on this market. Looks like you could get a premium if you can market it yourself selling quarters or prepackaged or not legal perhaps.

Also, pasture raised chicken and eggs are the rage. You could probabaly get $20 a dozen and bird.

I have a friend who is.
I help him out with things sometimes at the farm

he is running about 120 head and expanding every year , all direct market , he started at farmers markets , then area delivery point , and with covid the FedEx truck comes on Thursday and your meat is delivered Friday in a cooler box.

they expanded a bunch through covid free shipping over 100 or 150 , people regularly order a couple three hundred in meat

chickens , turkeys , pork , lamb , beef all pastured , the hogs still need a grower feed.

his family has been operating this farm over 100 years they always did Hertford and had bulls and bread and calved , now he has a cow calf operation out in the central plains that is a nights drive they load them on a transport just before sun down and are here in the morning. they haven't the grass to finish them out there but they have better calving conditions than we do here. so it works out for both
he has mostly angus and park now

they rotationally graze they move the wire every other day to new grass

when his wife showed me some of the first steaks grass finished yes I could see the difference in marbling , however they are some of the best steaks I have ever had and just light years ahead of grocery store.

I raise laying hens also.They are Free Range hens.When it gets dark,,they go back into the coop,,and I go out and shut the door.Not to keep them in,,,Its to keep the predators out,,so they are safe all night.Right before daylight,,I go open the door.They go in and out as they please all day long.

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: upstateNY] #7432127
12/15/21 11:09 AM
12/15/21 11:09 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin

I raise laying hens also.They are Free Range hens.When it gets dark,,they go back into the coop,,and I go out and shut the door.Not to keep them in,,,Its to keep the predators out,,so they are safe all night.Right before daylight,,I go open the door.They go in and out as they please all day long.

most days his teen girls drive out to the pasture and move the wire

they run the chickens in cages that they move forward every day

the layers are in a big green house looking shelter that slides on skids , they collect eggs every day move ever 3rd , ectro netting around the chickens they come through following the sheep the elector netting keeps leap frogging down the field then back following the chickens and sheep

turkeys work the same way but with a few wagons for shelter

it's work but with a lot less fuel consumption , no fertilizer , they were growing a 40 of corn but now buy corn from a relative they have a mill that grinds feed they mix their own ratios

I trap any time he sees any predator issue the dogs don't take care of.

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: yukonjeff] #7432130
12/15/21 11:16 AM
12/15/21 11:16 AM
Kentucky
E
ebfarmer Offline
trapper
ebfarmer  Offline
trapper
E

Kentucky
The grass fed guys I have talked to finish the animals on very high quality, high protein forages, like quality alfalfa. They also focus on breeds with high carcass quality traits. Personally I don't know if they are getting the marbling needed or not. We eat mostly home raised pork, and deer we kill ourselves.

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: yukonjeff] #7432132
12/15/21 11:17 AM
12/15/21 11:17 AM
Montana
B
Bosco Offline
trapper
Bosco  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
All my cows eat grass!

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: yukonjeff] #7432145
12/15/21 11:30 AM
12/15/21 11:30 AM
NE Neb.
F
FHSU_Wildman Offline
trapper
FHSU_Wildman  Offline
trapper
F

NE Neb.
I have good friends who raise and market grass fed grass finished beef. It is excellent quality, and the local meat locker does a very good job. Does it taste different? Yes. I like lean meat, eat lots of game so grass finished beef tastes better to me bc of its leanness. Some say its tougher, but its because the cows going to butcher are older, usually 4-6 years old for cows and 2-3 for steers. If you know hoe to age and care for your meat it isn't an issue at time of cooking. As to the "corn fed is better" crowd, I buy beef to enjoy beef, not corn. I find grass fed beef to have a richer, more complex flavor. Yes grain finished has a richness to it as well, but the complexity of flavor is lacking. Its like eating a turkey from the store and a wild turkey, I know which will be tougher and leaner, but I also know which will taste better hands down.

Grass Fed Grass Finished is also far superior for soil health and rangeland health when appropriate stocking rates and range management practices are implemented. Nutrient cycling is in better balance, and erosion and top soil loss is dramatically reduced. It is also literally cheaper to produce (in dollars... not always in time). You do not have to plant, cultivate, hill, irrigate, combine, and ship grass. Its already there, already growing. If your running a portion of your operation as a cow/calf and the rest as stockers (from your own cow/calf operation) you never have to truck those cattle anywhere until its time to go to the butcher (assuming your land is close enough to rotate them from pasture to pasture). Your annual operating costs are much lower. However, your needed land acreage to effectively run this style of operation will be higher, it takes more acres to grow good grass sustainably, and to manage it properly.

I will say it may not work everywhere in the USA. Here in south central Kansas my friend's beef operation is centered in the second largest contiguous mix grass/tall grass prairie left in existence. Kansas also boasts the largest contiguous tall grass prairie in the Flint Hills. We have grass, and we have high quality grass being in the humid grasslands. In the high and low deserts, or the northern prairies with shorter growing seasons Grass Fed Grass Finished may not pencil out as well, but for people in this area, it does. There is also a growing market in this area for grass finished beef.

On a separate personal stance: grain finished beef has a much higher fat content, a good portion of the fat cooks out and is not consumed. 10 pounds lean beef is literally more meat than 10 pounds fatty beef. Better bang for your buck.

Cedar County
Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: yukonjeff] #7432175
12/15/21 12:05 PM
12/15/21 12:05 PM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.
Grain finished beef is another plot put together by commercial grain farmers, unfortunately our country is devolving and has to rely on other people's advice.

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: nate] #7432180
12/15/21 12:13 PM
12/15/21 12:13 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by nate
Grain finished beef is another plot put together by commercial grain farmers, unfortunately our country is devolving and has to rely on other people's advice.

So,,,you have raised beef cattle?

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: Diggerman] #7432183
12/15/21 12:16 PM
12/15/21 12:16 PM
SD
T
TC1 Offline
trapper
TC1  Offline
trapper
T

SD
Originally Posted by Diggerman
The only problem with selling grass fed beef is you have no repeat customers. With corn fattened beef, people not only come back, but they bring their friends.

Exactly right

Long live the MAGA King
Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: upstateNY] #7432188
12/15/21 12:21 PM
12/15/21 12:21 PM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.
Originally Posted by nate

So,,,you have raised beef cattle?

Yep.
Same as vegetable oil being good for you it's a lie. It's so good for you they show carrots lettuce etc.on the bottle,but the only ingredient is soybean oil, fake advertising paid for by farmers.

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: upstateNY] #7432222
12/15/21 01:19 PM
12/15/21 01:19 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by adam m

The part that cracks me up is,,they are ALL grass fed most of their lives.Its what you do with them after they reach 900 lbs or so.You can keep them eating just grass,,,or finish them out by weaning them slowly into grain.Finished out on grain for the last three to six months,in my opinion,,makes a nicer marbled better tasting beef.But,,to each their own.

900+ gets treated the same way. I was raised on all forms of beef production from truly wild cows to non organic grocery store beef. A wild cow tastes a whole better than the store beef. Sometimes our family will kill a cow at the spur of the moment because we need to feed a lot of people right away, so there's no time for feeding corn.
Nothing wrong with a good marbling but also nothing wrong with lean meat.

Re: Grass Fed Grass finished Beef [Re: yukonjeff] #7432228
12/15/21 01:38 PM
12/15/21 01:38 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Some say possums are good too