No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Colorado elk rifle season 2022 [Re: bucky] #7450626
01/04/22 02:16 PM
01/04/22 02:16 PM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Altitude will def. affect your breathing and altitude sickness can kill you.
You'll be limited to riding that atv on open roads and trails, you need a sticker for it also.

Wyoming has reduced price cow tags that are a random draw and no PP needed. Good way to get some elk hunting experience before trying the orange army in Colorado.
You'll see more people then elk in Colorado OTC, but may get lucky.
Folks are everywhere these days, miles back from trailheads.

Re: Colorado elk rifle season 2022 [Re: bucky] #7450961
01/04/22 09:06 PM
01/04/22 09:06 PM
Kansas
KansasAce Offline
trapper
KansasAce  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Altitude is a crap shoot as to my previous post in this thread, I lost. I am in good shape and it wrecked me as I said. I never thought about it because I climbed and spike camped the mountains in Central Montana. But the hotel my buddies brought me down to recuperate in was 124 feet higher than big baldy in Montana. Colorado is rough for altitude.....Hydration hydration and when your ready to pop drink another bottle of water. That was my mistake but as bad as it was I won’t go back...

Another thought the only way to describe it was like drowning for six days. Plenty of people are fine though, so don’t be discouraged. I’m just saying take it serious and read up on how to avoid what I went through. Good luck 👍

Last edited by KansasAce; 01/04/22 09:09 PM.

My wife is a restauraunt inspector, and I got food poisoning
http://www.abileneoutdooradventures.com/
Re: Colorado elk rifle season 2022 [Re: bucky] #7451128
01/04/22 11:48 PM
01/04/22 11:48 PM
Michigan
M
Michigander Offline
trapper
Michigander  Offline
trapper
M

Michigan
You will want to rejet your 4-wheeler. Your owners manual should have a chart showing the proper jetting for the altitude.

Get there a couple days before season to get used to the altitude. It doesn't take much physical exertion for me to get light headed the first day in the mountains coming from 680 feet to ~10k.

The 2nd rifle season has been pushed back a week which increases the chance of bad weather. The area my group hunted in 2019 and 2020 got 2-3 feet of snow each time and temperatures touching 0 at times. The first year it pushed us off the mountain early because we weren't prepared. Bring tire chains! 2020 was a burn ban so no wood stoves.

Depending on the unit you may be able to get deer and cow elk tags along with a bull tag.

Re: Colorado elk rifle season 2022 [Re: bucky] #7451186
01/05/22 02:02 AM
01/05/22 02:02 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Altitude and thinner air means your heart and lungs are working harder to produce the o2 and blood your body needs. Get in Colorado a few days prior to allow your body to adjust. While hiking take it easy and take a break often. Climbing a big mountain on ATV too fast can be a terrible combination. Slow is key.

Sportsman's sells personal cans of o2 you can pack.

Altitude sickness is the main killer for mountain climbers. They ascend too fast. Look at Mt Everest.

Stay hydrated take electrolytes. Colorado and NM have similar weather patterns so be prepared for any weather.

There's athletics training mask that allows you to "adjust the elevation". I know a few that use them to train for various competitions.

Last edited by adam m; 01/05/22 02:32 AM. Reason: Stupid phone put wrong words
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread