No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: First Aid Kit/ Odd Items [Re: SGT. C] #7442970
12/27/21 04:50 PM
12/27/21 04:50 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
yep. if you cut a finger filleting fish at your camp, the band aids in a store bought kit are nice. if something bad happens, they are useless.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: First Aid Kit/ Odd Items [Re: CaseXX] #7442983
12/27/21 05:06 PM
12/27/21 05:06 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted by CaseXX Collector
A real suture kit staple and thread, a broad spectrum antibiotic, super glue, real pain killer, An intabation tube. Field med book. Scalpels. All daily meds 30 days, with list for the real dr's. Lactated Ringers solution b.p.cuff, finger oxcimeter, silvadine cream, at least 2 fmrs radios batts. Stored separately, Sm. Am, Fm batt operated radio, batts stored separately, tank of O2 @ 2 liter flow will last bout 6 hrs. I have acquired 3 over the last 5 yrs. Small 22 rim fire with box of 50 Rnds. only have one kit here at home for just in case shtf situation. For everyday Carry. Ones in trucks and cars generic from CVS, the pro's will get there soon. Stop the bleeding, make sure they can breath. Keep comfortable and calm. Make sure safe is locked at all times one key in kit, one in truck, one on wife, one hid. Hope you never need it.
Case.

That list includes some heavy duty crap. If you have an intubation tube, you're probably going to need some roc and fentanyl before you can use it. You would need to start an I/V or I/O before you can give Lactated Ringers.

You a paramedic?

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: First Aid Kit/ Odd Items [Re: SGT. C] #7442986
12/27/21 05:08 PM
12/27/21 05:08 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Besides the ordinary, I keep ear plugs, moleskin, and safety pins in my first aid kit. Some small tweezers are nice to have - can be a big help in getting splinters out before they get infected.

None shall take thee

Re: First Aid Kit/ Odd Items [Re: SGT. C] #7442995
12/27/21 05:29 PM
12/27/21 05:29 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
I always have black salve (ichthammol) draws any puss or infection out overnight

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: First Aid Kit/ Odd Items [Re: SGT. C] #7443543
12/28/21 11:26 AM
12/28/21 11:26 AM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
If you have nothing else tampons may be useful. https://www.crisis-medicine.com/heavy-flow-is-not-massive-hemorrhage-tampons-dont-belong-in-ifaks/

Taking a TCCC course could make the difference between life and death. Bleeding is nothing to mess around with. Here is a simple, effective kit. https://store.itstactical.com/collections/all-products-one/products/its-edc-trauma-kit or something like this if you are around guns.
https://store.itstactical.com/collections/all-products-one/products/eta-trauma-kit
Like anything else training and planning should be done in advance.

Last edited by jtg; 12/28/21 11:36 AM.
Re: First Aid Kit/ Odd Items [Re: SGT. C] #7443556
12/28/21 11:52 AM
12/28/21 11:52 AM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
A couple of things I haven't seen mentioned....
An old magazine...roll splint, fire starter, and entertainment to distract.
Tea towel...sling, bandage wrap, collarbone splint.

Training is the biggest thing. 1st aid as it is taught now is a joke. Usually it's just call 911. If 911 is more than 30 minutes response time, you better get more training. Know how to use everything in your pack and how to find 3 extra uses for everything.

Re: First Aid Kit/ Odd Items [Re: danny clifton] #7443568
12/28/21 12:05 PM
12/28/21 12:05 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Originally Posted by danny clifton
yep. if you cut a finger filleting fish at your camp, the band aids in a store bought kit are nice. if something bad happens, they are useless.

Band aids are to make kids feel better. Lol!

Re: First Aid Kit/ Odd Items [Re: Kart29] #7443596
12/28/21 12:39 PM
12/28/21 12:39 PM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Kart, wife graduated as l p n became r n could not take the injured kids she had to deal with each night. Took a different life path. Got into corporate life far away from med. field. She's 10 yrs. younger than me. Working on her Masters now, should grad. next semester. We lived in the city when we were young, moved to country bout 40 yrs. ago. I've just got med. training from basic training. Killed those brain cells long ago. Sister in Law. Is nurse practitioner wife's sister, she lives about 25 min. away. She runs all the small community clinics in this area of state, ones you probably see going in near your area. Like I said for shtf situation if those times ever come they and many other family members will be here anyway. We live on a very remote parcel in one of the states least populated counties. I built a big house out here just us and 3 GSD's n cows n coyotes. We are what city people call prepers, we call it Tuesday. Hope this helps your curiosity.
Case

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: First Aid Kit/ Odd Items [Re: SGT. C] #7443753
12/28/21 04:33 PM
12/28/21 04:33 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted by CaseXX Collector
Kart, wife graduated as l p n became r n could not take the injured kids she had to deal with each night. Took a different life path. Got into corporate life far away from med. field. She's 10 yrs. younger than me. Working on her Masters now, should grad. next semester. We lived in the city when we were young, moved to country bout 40 yrs. ago. I've just got med. training from basic training. Killed those brain cells long ago. Sister in Law. Is nurse practitioner wife's sister, she lives about 25 min. away. She runs all the small community clinics in this area of state, ones you probably see going in near your area. Like I said for shtf situation if those times ever come they and many other family members will be here anyway. We live on a very remote parcel in one of the states least populated counties. I built a big house out here just us and 3 GSD's n cows n coyotes. We are what city people call prepers, we call it Tuesday. Hope this helps your curiosity.
Case

Another good Hoosier, then! Isn't it good to be in one of the most free states in the union? I wouldn't call myself a "prepper" exactly. But, I've spent most of my life preparing in one way or another. Like you, I'm prepared to weather most storms for a good long time.

I was thinking we were talking about a carry-with-you field first aid kit. But I see you said you keep that stuff at home and your out and about kit is more basic. Sounds like you have some folks in your circle who could use those higher level medical supplies. Like you say... I hope you never have to use them!

None shall take thee

Re: First Aid Kit/ Odd Items [Re: Kart29] #7443930
12/28/21 07:59 PM
12/28/21 07:59 PM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Thank you for your kind thoughts, yes if more people knew about Hoosier hospitality they may flock to here more than they have. We have been blessed with good work that has been less effected by turns in the economy than most. Wife insists we have every kind of insurance under the sun, and you know what they say about a happy wife. We both grew up with parents and grandparents that taught us about our personal history, Great Depression, bank holidays, value of things of real value not just more stuff. How to not only survive off the land but thrive. To open our eyes and see the world for what it is and not what some talking head tells us what it is. To think for ourselves and not follow the sheep. We believe in our country, we do our best for it every day, we believe in the true spirit of the founding fathers.

Like you said, we don't call ourselves preppers. We call it Tuesday.

By the way you do know the definition of Hoosier don't you, I'm asked often, that's a six foot Indiana farm boy dribbling a basketball around the Indianapolis 500 race track while looking for mushrooms.
Case.

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread