No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Cord Wood Vs Pellets [Re: Jerry Jr.] #7463621
01/17/22 02:26 PM
01/17/22 02:26 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
Originally Posted by uplandpointer

So if I had 10 cord of oak that would be 366 million BTU and divide that by a ton of pellets that would be 26.9 ton. Is my math correct?

Your math is correct. Even at the lowest posted cost of $185 you are still looking at ~$5000 for the pellets.

You can't do the math that way . You are wanting to compare them to by cost per pound. You have to compare them on cost to HEAT the house. 5000 dollars worth of pellets at 185 a ton!! That's 27 tons of pellets. That's a lot of winters worth of heat. Plus no one wants to add the cost to haul the wood, cut the wood, handle the wood. You have to figure in the cost of a saw. Yes you may have one but any cost analasis has to figure part of it in. NO saw needed for pellets. Just have them delivered or 1 trip to rural king tsc, southern states, tons of places.

Last edited by jbyrd63; 01/17/22 02:31 PM.
Re: Cord Wood Vs Pellets [Re: uplandpointer] #7463654
01/17/22 02:54 PM
01/17/22 02:54 PM
Interior Alaska
O
Oh Snap Offline
trapper
Oh Snap  Offline
trapper
O

Interior Alaska
After 50 winter in the Arctic I could care less about burning wood. When I built our house it was electric to heat with. That lasted for 10 years when the price tripled. We went to wood for the next 10 years then to oil fired boiler and wood backup. I had a wood room that would hold 1/2 cord of split wood and chute that held a week of wood just across from the wood stove.
Now our backup is a Harmon pellet stove and has a 12 volt car battery if the power goes out. I have a 7 k generator for backup so the battery is good for up to 16 hours.
At my age and physical condition this all works well for us. Just need $.

I love the smell of burning spruce---I love the sound of a spring time goose---I love the feel of 40 below---from my trapline I will never go!
Re: Cord Wood Vs Pellets [Re: jbyrd63] #7463737
01/17/22 04:32 PM
01/17/22 04:32 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by jbyrd63

You can't do the math that way . You are wanting to compare them to by cost per pound. You have to compare them on cost to HEAT the house. 5000 dollars worth of pellets at 185 a ton!! That's 27 tons of pellets. That's a lot of winters worth of heat. Plus no one wants to add the cost to haul the wood, cut the wood, handle the wood. You have to figure in the cost of a saw. Yes you may have one but any cost analasis has to figure part of it in. NO saw needed for pellets. Just have them delivered or 1 trip to rural king tsc, southern states, tons of places.

The numbers are just fine. They are based off of the numbers that posco posted back on page one. With those numbers, 27 tons of pellets have the same amount of BTU's as ten cords of oak. How much does a cord of oak cost? Take that number and add a zero to the end of it and you have your cost analysis. You could also work it in reverse. Take the amount of pellets (in tons) that you use a year and multiply it by the BTU's that are in it. Then divide by the number of BTU's in a cord of wood.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread