No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Thinking about building a small smokehouse [Re: Catch22] #7467048
01/20/22 02:12 PM
01/20/22 02:12 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
That book by Rytek Kutas is the best reference book for this fun stuff. It helped me get started in sausage making. For sausage making supplies check out the Sausage Maker in Buffalo, N.Y. They have a website.

Grandfather always had a smokehouse. I always wanted to build a smokehouse. Because not having a large family I took other approaches to creating good meat.

Many old smokehouses looked like outhouses and vice versa. Our neighbor was born on the farm. Her father smoked and sold meat in the old days. She had his entire setup - some beautiful cast iron pieces too. She would not sell anything. Eventually the stuff was removed when she went into a nursing home.

This is not the same as smokehouse meat, but it sure is good! On my first hunting trip to Texas I fell in love with Texas BBQ. I learned some basics from an ancient black guy who had a Q pit and restaurant in a remote area. Every time I went back I learned more. So, I bought a big offset firebox pit and had it shipped home. Since then we have enjoyed tremendously good chicken, turkey, beef, and pork.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Thinking about building a small smokehouse [Re: upstateNY] #7467068
01/20/22 02:33 PM
01/20/22 02:33 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline OP
trapper
Catch22  Offline OP
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Catch22,,do yourselfe a favor and buy the book " Great Sausage Recipes And Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas Its a wealth of info with recipes and even tips on building smoke houses.I was fortunate enough to talk with Rytek back in the day,,and this guy prpbly forgot more about meat curing and smoking than most of us will ever know.Get his book.

Thank you upstate, I appreciate all your helpful knowledge! I will look into that book.

Willy, sounds like you make some good grub! I have to try smoking and curing like my ancestors did. So after a lot of research, and a lot of help I've got from you all, hopefully I'll be able to put up good meat.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Thinking about building a small smokehouse [Re: Catch22] #7467102
01/20/22 03:20 PM
01/20/22 03:20 PM
West Central Illinois
I
il.trapper Offline
trapper
il.trapper  Offline
trapper
I

West Central Illinois
Best way to learn this type stuff is find someone close enough you can go help from start to finish. Most of the old timers will be happy to help ya all they can.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread