No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: rabbits and fire wood [Re: Dirty D] #7487788
02/07/22 02:49 AM
02/07/22 02:49 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Dirty D
Originally Posted by Camohoyt340
It’s amazing how easily rabbit habitat is built. Simply hinge cutting a few trees or clearing a few for firewood makes excellent habitat. That being said, the best rabbit hunting habitat around me is old junkyards. The neighbor has a couple hundred old cars out in the woods. More rabbits there than anything.

When I was a yougun we'd hunt a local farmers yard. He had all sort of old machinery and vehicles laying around. The area was open with lots of tall grass. When the grass died back it covered the old equipment nicely.
Had to be quick tho, one jumping on and climbing over the equipment would yeild a rabbit or two shooting out for the next nearest spot of cover. Not much time for a shot.

Back starting in 1995, i hunted and trapped an area like that in Arlington, Ohio near Brookville, Ohio on State Route 40. There was a couple of down barns, lots of scrap metal, equipment, brambles and brush. There was a decent fence around about the 2 or so acres. A lot of the scrap metal had wood attached that kept it raised off the ground. Tom, the property owner showed me that when you stomped on the metal, rabbits would run out. Once I had 6 rabbits come out from under one piece of metal. I frequently limited out there on rabbits. I had to shoot really quick and really close.

There was 1 1/2 miles of Wolf Creek on the same property. It ran super straight, with steep, deep banks. The water was really fast and mostly stayed open. It was the best place for jump shooting ducks I have ever hunted. There almost always was 2 or 3 small flocks of mallards on the creek. I would spot the mallards from very far away, look for something to mark where they were, high on the bank, walk there, flush the ducks and usually shoot two drakes on the rise.

Keith

Re: rabbits and fire wood [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7487789
02/07/22 03:04 AM
02/07/22 03:04 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I shot one years ago and it was literally unchewable; never shot another one since.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: rabbits and fire wood [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7487842
02/07/22 06:04 AM
02/07/22 06:04 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
love rabbits to eat and hunt

Re: rabbits and fire wood [Re: Dirty D] #7487895
02/07/22 08:00 AM
02/07/22 08:00 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Dirty D
When I was a yougun we'd hunt a local farmers yard. He had all sort of old machinery and vehicles laying around. The area was open with lots of tall grass. When the grass died back it covered the old equipment nicely.
Had to be quick tho, one jumping on and climbing over the equipment would yeild a rabbit or two shooting out for the next nearest spot of cover. Not much time for a shot.

Your description brought back lots of memories. I have hunted many places exactly like that here in southeast PA.

That was back before clean farming techniques, overpopulation of raptors and other factors pretty much wiped out the population in my area.

Eh...wot?

Re: rabbits and fire wood [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7487947
02/07/22 09:00 AM
02/07/22 09:00 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Drum roll;
4 rabbits
but did you mention how many shots ? shocked

Re: rabbits and fire wood [Re: Northof50] #7487984
02/07/22 09:45 AM
02/07/22 09:45 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Northof50
Drum roll;
4 rabbits
but did you mention how many shots ? shocked

well the boy shot twice for 2 rabbits 1 runner and one sitting still the first of the morning. I had 2 misses both runners sort of far out

the snow had a good crust so when I went to check for blood I could see my whole pattern in the snow , which is interesting

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: rabbits and fire wood [Re: waggler] #7487990
02/07/22 09:50 AM
02/07/22 09:50 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by waggler
I shot one years ago and it was literally unchewable; never shot another one since.

Cottontail or Snowshoe?Our cottontails are tender,,but our Snowshoe Hares are a bit tougher.

Last edited by upstateNY; 02/07/22 09:51 AM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: rabbits and fire wood [Re: upstateNY] #7487998
02/07/22 09:55 AM
02/07/22 09:55 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by waggler

Cottontail or Snowshoe?Our cottontails are tender,,but our Snowshoe Hares are a bit tougher.

cotton tail

never seen a snow shoe in this part of the state , unlimited bag limit on show shoe limit of 3 per person on cotton tail

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread