No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: mike mason] #7509916
02/26/22 11:05 AM
02/26/22 11:05 AM
Illinois
R
ratbrain Offline
trapper
ratbrain  Offline
trapper
R

Illinois
Originally Posted by mike mason
The gentleman who worked with Don Wolf is buying castor. His name is Tony Schaefer and number is 812-205-8547. Don always treated me great on castor and beaver. The last few years when Don 's health was failing Tony ran the business and Don handled the phone/checkbook.

I sold to Don. Fair on grade and a pleasure to do business with. Don told me Tony was his buyer.

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7509919
02/26/22 11:06 AM
02/26/22 11:06 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Good grief. I changed the name of the thread

When we called Dan earlier. He wasn't buying castor or fur for any price.

I have found a higher market than anyone has posted on here and I wanted to share that information with fellow trappers so that they could get more for their product.thats all

I wasn't trying to cost lure makers more to make their lure but I feel trappers work hard for their goods and they should know where they can sell it for top dollar.

Castor is only off about 10 to 15 dollars a pound from last year..it didn't bottom out like some of the he state auctions were showing .

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7509935
02/26/22 11:13 AM
02/26/22 11:13 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Originally Posted by cathryn
I contacted 2 of our previous buyers today.

The one from Wisconsin quoted me. 75 a pound straight on castor and 7 a pound on beaver.
...as long as they're not all flat.

The one from Minnesota quoted me 85 a lb straight. Only 6 on beaver by the pound

Well I reckon I'm right in there. I've been doing $80 a pound with no grade.

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7509983
02/26/22 11:35 AM
02/26/22 11:35 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I contacted 2 of our previous buyers today.

The one from Wisconsin quoted me. 75 a pound straight on castor and 7 a pound on beaver.
...as long as they're not all flat.

The one from Minnesota quoted me 85 a lb straight. Only 6 on beaver by the pound

Well I reckon I'm right in there. I've been doing $80 a pound with no grade.

Thats great! Last time I checked with you it was 60 and that was In.Trade for lure...granted it was probably a year ago.

And I thought I saw on here not too long ago on a thread about castor where you stated that the market for castor was In decline Due to perfumeries and such not willing to pay the high castor prices.

7mglad you're not one trying g to take advantage of the guys hard work.

Maybe some of an have some castor to sell that you may be willing to buy.

Hopefully maybe the castor price will encourage guys to keep trapping and not hang up their steel

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7509998
02/26/22 11:42 AM
02/26/22 11:42 AM
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Last year it was $60 per pound and $80 per pound in trade. (I just checked my records. A year ago last month this time is when I went to $80 per pound)

I have heard from more than one source that castor price is in decline. I'm not in the reselling of castor business, so I'm staying at $80 to try and acquire as much as I need for lure formulating. If I were in the reselling, I'd not be at $80.

I believe there is a lot more beaver trapping going on than folks think. My beaver lure sales are at record level. I've never sold as much beaver lure as I have this season.

Last edited by Paul Dobbins; 02/26/22 11:47 AM.

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7510024
02/26/22 11:59 AM
02/26/22 11:59 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
I hope youre right.

John been selling record amounts of lure also

Funny thing is though that buyers are contacting John and myself trying to find fur because they aren't able find the fur they need through other avenues.
Maybe its a quality issue.im not sure.

I was able.to get jerrys 60 inch and up shearable beaver sold for a really really good price and the guy will take 100..

I hope people are just holding their fur to feel out the market.

30000 coons at a big auction isn't that many.coon. makes ya think no ones trapping..at least that's what we're thinking. I hope we are wrong

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: ScottW] #7510042
02/26/22 12:08 PM
02/26/22 12:08 PM
virginia,MN
B
beavert Offline
trapper
beavert  Offline
trapper
B

virginia,MN
Originally Posted by ScottW
I used to sell to North Star all the time. Jim treated me great and never took off a % for drying. One time I shipped my stuff to them and it had been dried just as usual and Jean Paul charged me shrinkage and they wouldn’t back down even though they quoted me in straight run. Haven’t sold to them since but might be willing to give em another chance. I used to love selling to North Star and Wiebkes. Happy trapping! ScottW

Do not ship to North Star furs this guy will rip you off! Did it to me quite a few years ago. I posted a warning on here and it got taken down.
I remember one other buyer from southern MN threw a tantrum and insisted the mods take it down, birds of a feather I guess.

He quoted me a good straight run price on castor, I shipped it, didn’t hear from him for quite a while so I called and he said the “market dropped” offered me quite a bit less per# I told him no sale and to ship it back to me.
He sent back less than I sent, low grade, poorly handled castor.
It was Jean Paul, I never dealt with his father, I understand he was a fair man.

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7510108
02/26/22 01:25 PM
02/26/22 01:25 PM
richmond, virginia
N
NWS,LLC Offline
trapper
NWS,LLC  Offline
trapper
N

richmond, virginia
Those buyers are no secret. Shipping costs, shrinkage loss as reported, etc will likely negate any small difference in price paid.
High volume sales may come out on a mail deal.

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7510112
02/26/22 01:33 PM
02/26/22 01:33 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

$60 a lb is doable on current lure pricing structures (ouch) but a continued $80 level is rugged.
All of us who are lures are trappers so we see both sides.

I'm just glad to get good stuff these days.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: NWS,LLC] #7510347
02/26/22 06:12 PM
02/26/22 06:12 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Originally Posted by NWS,LLC
Those buyers are no secret. Shipping costs, shrinkage loss as reported, etc will likely negate any small difference in price paid.
High volume sales may come out on a mail deal.

I never said they were a secret.

Quite the opposite in fact. Just that if you call around you might find a better price than you are expecting..which we did.

They are buyers anyone can sell too if they so choose.

The key is too explore your options before you sell..it could mean more money in Your pocket.

We deliver our castor because Jerry doesn't trust the mail service and we like to roadtrip.

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7510348
02/26/22 06:14 PM
02/26/22 06:14 PM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas

Funny thing is though that buyers are contacting John and myself trying to find fur because they aren't able find the fur they need through other avenues.

Most down here, from what I’ve heard, are not even skinning much fur. I only skinned 4 beavers, but kept castor(obviously). Personally, I am not going to catch a bunch of coons and take up freezer space for 50 cents each. Nor will I for Beaver at two or three dollars apiece.
So it seems, that if people are looking for fur, but aren’t willing to pay for it then why would someone waste effort skinning one when they’re not gonna get much for it.

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: the Blak Spot] #7510356
02/26/22 06:23 PM
02/26/22 06:23 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Originally Posted by the Blak Spot

Most down here, from what I’ve heard, are not even skinning much fur. I only skinned 4 beavers, but kept castor(obviously). Personally, I am not going to catch a bunch of coons and take up freezer space for 50 cents each. Nor will I for Beaver at two or three dollars apiece.
So it seems, that if people are looking for fur, but aren’t willing to pay for it then why would someone waste effort skinning one when they’re not gonna get much for it.

The right buyer is willing to pay good money for quality fur. You just have to put in the work to find that buyer.

Jerry sold all his 60 inch and up beaver for 25 straight. He figures with castor and tails in he will average 18 on his beaver straight through and that aint bad. Especially if you ha e 300 + to sell.

Thats Wyoming Arkansas WY and Mississippi beaver

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7510359
02/26/22 06:26 PM
02/26/22 06:26 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
Well said!

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: the Blak Spot] #7510362
02/26/22 06:27 PM
02/26/22 06:27 PM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot

Lot of labor for a $3 hide.

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7510367
02/26/22 06:33 PM
02/26/22 06:33 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Problem. Is sounds to me like..y'all arkansas guys apparently are buying into the lie that all southern fur is crap.

Your fur is better than you think. I know because ive seen it put it up and sold it.

Jerry has been trapping in arkansas
For 10 years.
He's trapped in Mississippi for 33 yrs..so hes familiar with the quality of southern fur.

The beaver on the Louisiana border are shorter furred than those on the Missouri border but they're still worth more than 3 dollars put up.

Dukes paying 5 for big green beaver right now.

Y'all just need o put some time in and market your fur. Youll be surprised what markets are out there

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7510372
02/26/22 06:43 PM
02/26/22 06:43 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
Sold 2 pounds of castor today for $150. PTA sale. Top dollar was $90, but I had a fair number of shells ( common here in Pa.)

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7510420
02/26/22 07:28 PM
02/26/22 07:28 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
You did good.

I'm glad to see PA castor brought what it shoulda brought.

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7510465
02/26/22 08:26 PM
02/26/22 08:26 PM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
So there are 2 markets listed here for 75-85 . To help the trappers but the lure makers are short on castor but are paying 60 cash or 80 trade or 60 is do able, I can see that's frustrating and costly. Maybe some on here buy castor locally and send to these buyers, they take the risk of price falling or shrinkage. If you've seen some of the castor sold at those lower price state auctions you'd cringe, in Ziploc bag that's about 1/3 full liquid or cut off in one glob with oil sacs intact then partially dried.

Just another way to look at things. I enjoy your posts but I can see where this one has ppl miffed. Would you share your 60" and up shearable bvr 25 dollar market where the guy will take 100 ? I don't catch much of that type but I'm betting Les or a ton of other northern guys would love to hear it.

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7510472
02/26/22 08:37 PM
02/26/22 08:37 PM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
I piece and part all my bvr and you are correct there's markets to be found. It takes time and effort. Volume makes a huge difference as you know and it cost the average trapper with a small amount of product so much in shipping or transportation that they prob won't show much extra profit. You can divide the cost of transporting your 300 bvr and your castor over all those pieces, it costs the average guy with 30 pieces ten times as much. Just a few thoughts. My castor buyers are off about 15-20% from last year, I had predicted it will increase before season ends but this whole world has gone crazy so it's anyone's guess

Re: Castor market is on the rise [Re: cathryn] #7510736
02/27/22 01:16 AM
02/27/22 01:16 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Problem. Is sounds to me like..y'all arkansas guys apparently are buying into the lie that all southern fur is crap.

Your fur is better than you think. I know because ive seen it put it up and sold it.

Jerry has been trapping in arkansas
For 10 years.
He's trapped in Mississippi for 33 yrs..so hes familiar with the quality of southern fur.

The beaver on the Louisiana border are shorter furred than those on the Missouri border but they're still worth more than 3 dollars put up.

Dukes paying 5 for big green beaver right now.

Y'all just need o put some time in and market your fur. Youll be surprised what markets are out there

We’ll, I don’t have the time or space to put up beaver. (Hardly time to put up mink).

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread