No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558907
04/15/22 09:21 AM
04/15/22 09:21 AM
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
Got a buddy who does this. "you don't need that", "keep spending that money", "I can do it just as good".

It used to bother me, but I know the quality of stuff he has, which is sufficient, and the quality of stuff I have, which is more expensive in relative terms.

He processes his own pigs. He does his cuts and makes his sausage.

We take to a processor. While I know we could do it, we can't do it to the quality the processor can and get it done in a large enough and cold enough facility. We get andouille, italian, maple breakfast link, chorizo, and ground pork.

WD it all boils down to how happy you are with what you do. Is that rod holder too much for some people, yes. Do you like it and appreciate the thought and time and construction it took to make it, yes. You used your brain to create something better. That is what we should all strive to do. Do things better.

Don't sweat knuckleheads who don't appreciate skill and effort. Most of them are lazy, dumb or fat anyways. LOL!!

Show us a pic of this rod holder. Would love to see it.

How many lies will people believe before they realize their own idiocy?
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558926
04/15/22 09:45 AM
04/15/22 09:45 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
There are some things you shouldn’t worry about. People like that are a good example. The people on your team don’t let it bother them, you shouldn’t either.

Do your thing.

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7558992
04/15/22 10:46 AM
04/15/22 10:46 AM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
For every good idea there are probably nine bad ones. Ask me how I know. Constructive criticism is much more important than affirmation. Then we have those people who wouldn’t be happy if they were hung with a new rope.

formerly posting as white dog
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7559011
04/15/22 11:03 AM
04/15/22 11:03 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
If the only acceptable comment is affirmation, then delete out the others. Problem solved.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7559015
04/15/22 11:13 AM
04/15/22 11:13 AM
Bismarck Arkansas
A
Arkansas87 Offline
trapper
Arkansas87  Offline
trapper
A

Bismarck Arkansas
Funny part is,if that same rod holder you built was in a fancy package on the fishing isle in walmart,those same idiots would be buying them up left and right! Eaven if its more expensive lol.

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7559021
04/15/22 11:20 AM
04/15/22 11:20 AM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Rube Goldberg was a very popular fellow. Many folks admired him and his work ...... including me grin

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7559034
04/15/22 11:41 AM
04/15/22 11:41 AM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
I consider it flattery like when someone says I wouldn't trap for those prices when they got several thousand dollars worth of deer hunting paraphanalia on there truck and trailer that i can see
Easier to bring somebody down to their level than put effort into rising to theirs

How'd i miss your rodholder post????

olden tyred
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7559053
04/15/22 12:04 PM
04/15/22 12:04 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Wolf,
This is another angle to what you're speaking of. Some people just don't get it. Example, ive taken numerous people on the trappline over the years. Most it seams can't get past the stick in the mud , no pun intended. But a few pay attention and and some even think outside the box. What you share is edifying to some you inspire many folks to try new things. You share ideas freely and the trapper man community appreciates what you share for the most part. You will never be able to please everyone, look at the world we live in. Keep up the good work and don't let negative peaple bring you down.
Rich

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Leftlane] #7559750
04/15/22 09:37 PM
04/15/22 09:37 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Leftlane
If the only acceptable comment is affirmation, then delete out the others. Problem solved.

I could care less about affirmation in the whole " o this is awesome " sense . If there's a legitimate criticism I'm all for it but most of the time it's not even that

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Aix sponsa] #7559751
04/15/22 09:38 PM
04/15/22 09:38 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
There are some things you shouldn’t worry about. People like that are a good example. The people on your team don’t let it bother them, you shouldn’t either.

Do your thing.

And I appreciate yall

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: KeithC] #7559756
04/15/22 09:40 PM
04/15/22 09:40 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by KeithC
One of the big problems with the internet is that anybody can express their opinion. In a face to face social situation, you would just walk away and ignore those people, who post crap responses like those and totally ignore them in the future. A lot of people only feel good if they're tearing someone else down. In real life, you would just avoid those people too. What other people think of you is much less important than what you think of yourself.

You need to figure out who is worth listening to and who is just background noise on the forums you frequent.

Keith
honestly I wouldn't say it a problem figuring out who's who , is just I don't get why everyone else just has to say some . It's just so weird.i get eveyone and then but ALOT of these people do it every chance they get and it just leaves me sitting here thinking " Why ? What's the dang point ?"

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: maintenanceguy] #7559765
04/15/22 09:47 PM
04/15/22 09:47 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Creativity is something I've spent years contemplating.

I've come to the conclusion that very few people are creative. Not just very few - almost none. Everybody who says "just use a stick" isn't giving you a hard time. They're helping as much as they can. They just can't go any further than what they saw somebody else do before - and that's 99% of the population. Most people are so far from being creative that they can't understand why you could possibly want to improve on a stick. For them, all the possibilities already exist. In fact, you're very weird just for being creative.

And see this is just super weird to me I cannot understand that for some reason,my brain just ain't wire like that.like you put a trap or widget in my hands that I'm somewhat familiar with the first thing in my mind is try and figure out how to take it apart and make it work better. I just can't help it. Give me something like a stock Duke 3 and I'm happy because it needs work it need improvement. Give me an mb alpha and well I'm not very interested in it what so ever. Because it's just , I can find anything to really do it it .
Or you say your gonna teach me how to dig a dirt hole. I've drove peoel nuts because I just keep asking what about this ? Or that ? What not set the trap here ? Idk I know I'm weird laugh

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7559771
04/15/22 09:54 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

I've come to the conclusion that very few people are creative. Not just very few - almost none. Everybody who says "just use a stick" isn't giving you a hard time. They're helping as much as they can. They just can't go any further than what they saw somebody else do before - and that's 99% of the population. Most people are so far from being creative that they can't understand why you could possibly want to improve on a stick. For them, all the possibilities already exist. In fact, you're very weird just for being creative.

And see this is just super weird to me I cannot understand that for some reason,my brain just ain't wire like that.like you put a trap or widget in my hands that I'm somewhat familiar with the first thing in my mind is try and figure out how to take it apart and make it work better. I just can't help it. Give me something like a stock Duke 3 and I'm happy because it needs work it need improvement. Give me an mb alpha and well I'm not very interested in it what so ever. Because it's just , I can find anything to really do it it .
Or you say your gonna teach me how to dig a dirt hole. I've drove peoel nuts because I just keep asking what about this ? Or that ? What not set the trap here ? Idk I know I'm weird laugh

Kindred souls -- there always has to be a better way. It is not a deficiency or weirdness -- we should all be thinking that way IMO.

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7559775
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Leftlane

I could care less about affirmation in the whole " o this is awesome " sense . If there's a legitimate criticism I'm all for it but most of the time it's not even that

He doesn’t mean it that way when he said that.

He means it as, or I think he means it as: “you’re on the right track, you’re correct in your thinking, I’m on your team.”

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7559785
04/15/22 09:59 PM
04/15/22 09:59 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by KeithC
One of the big problems with the internet is that anybody can express their opinion. In a face to face social situation, you would just walk away and ignore those people, who post crap responses like those and totally ignore them in the future. A lot of people only feel good if they're tearing someone else down. In real life, you would just avoid those people too. What other people think of you is much less important than what you think of yourself.

You need to figure out who is worth listening to and who is just background noise on the forums you frequent.

Keith
honestly I wouldn't say it a problem figuring out who's who , is just I don't get why everyone else just has to say some . It's just so weird.i get eveyone and then but ALOT of these people do it every chance they get and it just leaves me sitting here thinking " Why ? What's the dang point ?"

People have made good points here. In my opinion, it comes down to case by case. Some don’t know better, some don’t want better if it’s from you not them, some want YOU TO SUCCEED, and some just don’t care either way.

Take positive ideas, appreciate those that encourage and support, and ignore those that bring negativity.

That’s my take

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7559881
04/15/22 10:48 PM
04/15/22 10:48 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Wolfdog I think its the same people writing product reviews. 4 paragraphs of how this is the greatest shotgun ever then the last 2 sentences. I haven't shot it yet but plan to this weekend. I can't weight to get it to the range

They are nobody and know very little,
But want and need to fill important.

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: maintenanceguy] #7559939
04/16/22 12:16 AM
04/16/22 12:16 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS

Or not. Most times, where I live, I can't park my truck and fish off the tailgate. I need to walk at least a hundred yards or so. I'm packing poles, tackle boxes, minnow bucket, cooler, chairs, etc. etc. The last thing I need is another thing to pack when I can spend 30 seconds to cut a stick. Not everyone fishes in the same situations. Now if I went camping every weekend in a paid campground where the fishing place was 20 feet from my deck then heck yeah, I'd want all those goodies!

It may be cultural too. I was raised with fishing being an escape from life and so always sought out the places not fished. Other people do the opposite... fishing is a get together. If someone's idea of fishing is 10-15 people going to the local lake to sit on the bank and fish... well that's different than my idea of going fishing and getting far enough away I won't see another person.

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 04/16/22 12:23 AM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: yotetrapper30] #7559955
04/16/22 02:29 AM
04/16/22 02:29 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Or not. Most times, where I live, I can't park my truck and fish off the tailgate. I need to walk at least a hundred yards or so. I'm packing poles, tackle boxes, minnow bucket, cooler, chairs, etc. etc. The last thing I need is another thing to pack when I can spend 30 seconds to cut a stick. Not everyone fishes in the same situations. Now if I went camping every weekend in a paid campground where the fishing place was 20 feet from my deck then heck yeah, I'd want all those goodies!

It may be cultural too. I was raised with fishing being an escape from life and so always sought out the places not fished. Other people do the opposite... fishing is a get together. If someone's idea of fishing is 10-15 people going to the local lake to sit on the bank and fish... well that's different than my idea of going fishing and getting far enough away I won't see another person.

Welllll yeah...... This rod holder is kinda a speciality thing. I really don't make very many things I'd consider universal. I mean that's kinda wear common sense should take over . Ok I'm walk 100yd in. Maybe the rod holder the guy made who fishes xyz way probably isn't the best thing for me. I mean I'm not gonna lie I have a walk in pack I use from time to time and everything in it is me t to be light weight and comfortable to pack. No way imm have these perticular rod holders I made because it's gonna be a pain.

I don't really get the whole universal ,or THE BEST. Attitude either. I generally make things to work in a specific situation or set of situations. That just makes sense to me.

It's like my drags. Some of them are 3lbs I would hope someone would have the sense to realize they don't wanna be toting a dozen traps with one of there and 10' of chain each on a 3mile walking line. Some of them weigh like 1lbs and I made them so the animals would get away. I'd really hope Someone whos trapping out of a truck and don't have time to track wouldn't get those after I explained what they do and how they work.

Honestly most of the time I'll explain in detail why I built something for what reasons what it would be good for and it's seems to basically be a wast of time because that just get skimmed by and billy bob has to tell me how his whatever in a completely different scenario is so much better. Heck sometimes I just build something but I want to I say that and some has to say how much time I could have save if I just bought it......like did you not just read what a wrote ?

Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7559960
04/16/22 02:41 AM
04/16/22 02:41 AM
South Central Wisconsin
N
Nelly Offline
trapper
Nelly  Offline
trapper
N

South Central Wisconsin
Actually, I suspect that you already understand it.
Some people wish that you are as clueless as they are.
Fortunately for you, that is not the case.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good. O Lord please don't let me be misunderstood.
Re: Why do people do this ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7559979
04/16/22 05:11 AM
04/16/22 05:11 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I like drags the same way I like rod holders. Not always the the right tool but sometimes they really shine

I dont really care if other people agree with me. Plenty show up when I have a fish fry and rarely do I get help putting up fur. Your forging a fine path for yourself wolfie

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread