No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7566724
04/22/22 07:23 PM
04/22/22 07:23 PM
Wisconsin
L
Lance Squires Offline
trapper
Lance Squires  Offline
trapper
L

Wisconsin
I agree with trapping the coon Beav but I just bought 2 more dozen MB-550 Offsets so will have to catch a few next year to try and pay for them. Unfortunately, it will probably take about 80 coyote to cover them if I'm lucky. The few coyote I sold at FHA only averaged $7.63 with a high of $10 and a low of 50 cents.

57 years trapping. It's who I am. Every day is still as exciting as it was when I was a kid but a little more work.
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7566746
04/22/22 07:41 PM
04/22/22 07:41 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I'll sell you my Duke 650s real cheap.. LOL

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7566843
04/22/22 09:22 PM
04/22/22 09:22 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Coyote prices are a bummer, but not enough to keep me from trying to kill a pile of em next fall. I just like killin em.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567050
04/23/22 01:05 AM
04/23/22 01:05 AM
Wisconsin
D
Dillon Benda Offline
trapper
Dillon Benda  Offline
trapper
D

Wisconsin
If you think economic collapse is going to bring back the fur market by making it a necessity you're nuts. It's hardly cost effective to make utility garments affordable with today's economy at today's fur prices. Even when people lived a more subsistence lifestyle I don't think they wore that much fur. Look at American pioneers and settlers. Heck even mountain men. When you see pictures of them they are never wearing much fur. Even the Indians were trading fur for wool blankets. Sure fur is warm but even at modest prices it's expensive to produce and manufacture.

I think two things need to happen for the fur market to come back. One it needs to be fashionable. This problem takes care of itself because fur is always beautiful and luxurious. It will always come in and out of style.

The second thing is it needs to be acceptable to the average person. I really think our culture is trending back that way. While the antis might be gaining ground or winning legal battles I think the general public has the opinion that antis are crazy. I think all those crazy peta ads are starting to do is more good than harm. I also think that with people being more environmentally conscious, the opportunity is there to market fur on that platform. That's not going to happen by having discussions amongst ourselves. The big players in the industry need to put some money into actually marketing their product rather than trying to hold on to their share of a dieing market. Let's get Gretta in a fur coat. Then when people ask about it she can explain how is helping save the planet. That might sound ridiculous but why not. Something like that could definitely lead to another fur boom.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567055
04/23/22 01:20 AM
04/23/22 01:20 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Your wrong about people living in cold climates who spend a lot of time outdoors not wearing fur.
My biggest market is local fur sewers.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567063
04/23/22 03:34 AM
04/23/22 03:34 AM
Wisconsin
D
Dillon Benda Offline
trapper
Dillon Benda  Offline
trapper
D

Wisconsin
How many items would you say you sell a year? How many raw skins are used? No doubt there is a small group of people that use it need fur for practical reasons. Those people are already buying fur and the market is still poor.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567092
04/23/22 05:59 AM
04/23/22 05:59 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
All I kept reading on here and in trapping magazines was fur prices will rise when the barrel of oil does. Every expert and armchair quarterback said so. Of course there are mitigating circumstances to that common explanation of fur prices.
Maybe when someone launches a nuke and the sun is blotted out for days on end then the temperatures plummet, fur prices will rise again!
But in all seriousness I just hope to live long enough to see one more slow steady rise in fur spawned by the fansion industry and trends

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: Dillon Benda] #7567133
04/23/22 07:26 AM
04/23/22 07:26 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Dillon Benda
Let's get Gretta in a fur coat. Then when people ask about it she can explain how is helping save the planet. That might sound ridiculous but why not. Something like that could definitely lead to another fur boom.

Gretta is not in the business of peddling rational thought, emotional doomsday hysteria is her game.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: Dillon Benda] #7567163
04/23/22 08:03 AM
04/23/22 08:03 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Online content
trapper
trapdog1  Online Content
trapper
T

Iowa
If you think economic collapse is going to bring back the fur market by making it a necessity you're nuts. It's hardly cost effective to make utility garments affordable with today's economy at today's fur prices. Even when people lived a more subsistence lifestyle I don't think they wore that much fur. Look at American pioneers and settlers. Heck even mountain men. When you see pictures of them they are never wearing much fur. Even the Indians were trading fur for wool blankets. Sure fur is warm but even at modest prices it's expensive to produce and manufacture.

I think two things need to happen for the fur market to come back. One it needs to be fashionable. This problem takes care of itself because fur is always beautiful and luxurious. It will always come in and out of style.

The second thing is it needs to be acceptable to the average person. I really think our culture is trending back that way. While the antis might be gaining ground or winning legal battles I think the general public has the opinion that antis are crazy. I think all those crazy peta ads are starting to do is more good than harm. I also think that with people being more environmentally conscious, the opportunity is there to market fur on that platform. That's not going to happen by having discussions amongst ourselves. The big players in the industry need to put some money into actually marketing their product rather than trying to hold on to their share of a dieing market. Let's get Gretta in a fur coat. Then when people ask about it she can explain how is helping save the planet. That might sound ridiculous but why not. Something like that could definitely lead to another fur boom.

I like the way you think!

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567216
04/23/22 08:47 AM
04/23/22 08:47 AM
NW PA
W
washxc Online content
trapper
washxc  Online Content
trapper
W

NW PA
I agree with several of the previous posters that the green, sustainability, new age hippy crowd could really get behind fur. If I had the money I'd take out a full page ad in big city magazines. [Linked Image]

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: washxc] #7567220
04/23/22 08:53 AM
04/23/22 08:53 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by washxc
I agree with several of the previous posters that the green, sustainability, new age hippy crowd could really get behind fur. If I had the money I'd take out a full page ad in big city magazines. [Linked Image]

This I like, but should include synthetic: with a 3rd picture of the cheap crap fake fur collar sold at Wallmart.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567242
04/23/22 09:18 AM
04/23/22 09:18 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
" It's hardly cost effective to make utility garments affordable with today's economy at today's fur prices."

It is not the fur price. It is the price of labor, tanning, and shipping in America. Second, most of my utilitarian/fashion customers are upper middle class to rich. Very few people below these economic levels will buy fur products at my prices. Plus your potential customers have to live somewhere cold and spend some time outdoors in it. Almost everything these days is heated.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567262
04/23/22 09:45 AM
04/23/22 09:45 AM
NW PA
W
washxc Online content
trapper
washxc  Online Content
trapper
W

NW PA
Agreed, walleye. You could make a list of things. Fur is biodegradable, polyester sits in the landfill, fur is made in America not Vietnam, china, or Singapore, fur is made by workers making a livng wage, not sweat shop children ina far off land, fur has a much smaller carbon footprint, fur supports forested landscapes, cotton supports deforesting landscapes. Could have a new ad every day.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567292
04/23/22 10:12 AM
04/23/22 10:12 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
" Fur is Green.com

Copyright © Fur Council of Canada, Montreal, All rights reserved."

"Fur is mean, not green, Peta." frown

Who is John Galt?
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: Dillon Benda] #7567313
04/23/22 10:37 AM
04/23/22 10:37 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon

Good post and mostly spot on.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: walleye101] #7567316
04/23/22 10:39 AM
04/23/22 10:39 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by washxc

This I like, but should include synthetic: with a 3rd picture of the cheap crap fake fur collar sold at Wallmart.

Yes, and all the sea life crumbling from intake of the microfibers now found in our oceans.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567348
04/23/22 11:08 AM
04/23/22 11:08 AM
central IA
B
bodycount Offline
trapper
bodycount  Offline
trapper
B

central IA
The only thing holding back fur is high labor costs. I think fur will be back when things start to level out politically and such. All the wokeness' and B.S.

Last edited by bodycount; 04/23/22 11:10 AM.
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567372
04/23/22 11:35 AM
04/23/22 11:35 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Prices WILL rise.
Just not as much as inflation.
So, continued net decline.

Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567485
04/23/22 01:37 PM
04/23/22 01:37 PM
ND
glv Offline
trapper
glv  Offline
trapper

ND
Will Fur Prices Rise Again? Fur is a commodity and with commodities prices rise and fall. However fur seems to either be feast or famine. This has happened for years and I assume fur will follow this same market trend for the foreseeable future. If I look in my crystal ball I see big volumes of fur in the near future not being in demand. For example, if Canada Goose didn't market the coyote parka like it did and catch a break with a celeb wearing a jacket, coyotes would of been at the same levels as they always have been. I am not saying that won't happen again but with the anti-fur movement and such, I suspect it will be difficult to bring fur into prominence again like that unless this world completely does a 180 and accepts fur and finds the anti's crazy.

The better quality northern skins will be most likely the easiest to market. Those better quality skins will be worth the most money and if you are not in those areas I suspect prices will not be the best. Even though China and Russia are major consumers of fur, the political climate, trade issues and the war currently is not in our favor. Eventually everything will calm down but who knows when and what it will be like after. The country complains about relying on China for everything and why not buy US made. Well maybe this is the time to start doing what everyone is preaching about.

I trap, buy fur and sew fur items to sell like hats, mitts, and blankets, so I see all sorts of people in the fur industry from the trappers/hunters looking to make a quick buck, the landowners allowing me to trap and hunt, and the end user that orders a fur hat for Christmas. The one common thing between everyone is nobody wears fur anymore. During the winter to and from work, running to the gas station, outside playing with the kids, I am always wearing fur. In my area since I have started buying fur and making hats for the last several years I have noticed the acceptance of fur and I do not get the strange looks anymore. It has become common for people to see me wearing my hat uptown at the hardware store or walking into work with my coyote hat on a 30 below morning. I find it odd that for the most part fur trappers or hunters do not wear fur. It would be like a beef cattle farmer not eating steak or hamburger.

I know I am probably preaching to the choir for most of you. But if everyone feels as strong about the fur industry on this forum as I think you do, why not wear fur and wear it proudly. Maybe a grass roots movement that starts out locally and grows regionally will be what it takes in certain parts of the US to accept fur. Maybe more people like me will start making fur hats, blankets and such because people start to inquire about that nice fur hat you wear or see the nice fur blanket you posted on instagram or facebook. These are just my thoughts and something I feel very strongly about. The fur industry is in a downward spiral and it has been for some time, will it ever come back? We all hope it comes back, but in the meantime I will continue to wear and promote fur when I can. Keeping the fur industry relevant seems like a monumental task since us trappers are basically in the 1% club. But we can't quit promoting and wearing fur. If we stop doing that, the industry will go away!!

Last edited by glv; 04/23/22 01:48 PM.
Re: Will Fur Prices Rise Again? [Re: ModernDayBoone] #7567600
04/23/22 03:34 PM
04/23/22 03:34 PM
Wisconsin
L
Lance Squires Offline
trapper
Lance Squires  Offline
trapper
L

Wisconsin
I agree totally glv. I wear a muskrat trooper hat and have also sewn a coyote ruff on my ice fishing suit. I get a lot of comments on the fur and none have been negative.

57 years trapping. It's who I am. Every day is still as exciting as it was when I was a kid but a little more work.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread