No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New trap tags #7572932
04/29/22 07:53 PM
04/29/22 07:53 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline OP
trapper
coonman220  Offline OP
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Better to put on new shiny ones after dip or before ? I don't like shine but usually go thru all that after dip, plan replace lots tags this season they wear out, an only untill an roll chain so many times an get crease in them, disturb copper again an break half , coon like new tags I think , other tags, not spend much money hardly all anything else

Last edited by coonman220; 04/29/22 07:53 PM.
Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7572938
04/29/22 07:54 PM
04/29/22 07:54 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Fold them 3 times INward
Stamping inside the folds

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7572946
04/29/22 08:02 PM
04/29/22 08:02 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
[Linked Image]

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7572972
04/29/22 08:25 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
I fold mine on the swivel, writing on the inside and keeping the end on the inside of the swivel. I hope that makes sense. No way for them to get ahold of it.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: New trap tags [Re: 330-Trapper] #7572974
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
[Linked Image]

That’s what I do on cable restraints and body grip traps near the anchor point. I wrap it around the last swivel on footholds. I also add my tags before treating them so they lose the shine. Never had a trap tag wear out though, Ive also never had one get chewed on or broke off.

Maybe I’m just lucky. But, most of y’all have been trapping longer than I’ve been alive.

Dave, thanks for posting a question that some new trappers might be to nervous to ask.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7572981
04/29/22 08:32 PM
04/29/22 08:32 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
I wrap mine around the last swivel. Never had one come off or wear out.

I think the answer to your question depends on what type of sets you’re making. If you’re bedding in dirt it doesn’t matter. If you’re leaving them exposed like in water type sets then you’re gonna want to dull them up before you set.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7573006
04/29/22 09:05 PM
04/29/22 09:05 PM
Happy Valley
CoonsBane Offline
trapper
CoonsBane  Offline
trapper

Happy Valley
I make my own with an engraver on a piece of aluminum siding. Cut them out with tin snips. Wrap tight around a link in the chain. Never wears out.

Re: New trap tags [Re: CoonsBane] #7573008
04/29/22 09:07 PM
04/29/22 09:07 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by CoonsBane
I make my own with an engraver on a piece of aluminum siding. Cut them out with tin snips. Wrap tight around a link in the chain. Never wears out.

Great idea!

I know a guy who just etches his number right on the bottom of the frame on footholds, I guess you could stamp it also. That isn’t going to wear out either.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7573062
04/29/22 10:05 PM
04/29/22 10:05 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline OP
trapper
coonman220  Offline OP
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
I just wrap around chain , they get chew up but after years, like 10-15 years in some, where roll an kinda creased, I check yrly after dip to see readable, they break easy or some would break easy, replace ,always got replace some , paint black on opposite side of addy but still see some bright copper, tags are big thing to co. I had one years ago complain about paint them, say hard read , they really stick out in water, coon go for them, I try dull in vinegar or something once an ruin bunch them

Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7573098
04/29/22 10:51 PM
04/29/22 10:51 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline OP
trapper
coonman220  Offline OP
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
The dip dull them a little, not enough but I guess go thru them before Dip, which won't be for while

Last edited by coonman220; 04/29/22 10:52 PM.
Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7573141
04/29/22 11:51 PM
04/29/22 11:51 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by coonman220
I just wrap around chain , they get chew up but after years, like 10-15 years in some, where roll an kinda creased, I check yrly after dip to see readable, they break easy or some would break easy, replace ,always got replace some , paint black on opposite side of addy but still see some bright copper, tags are big thing to co. I had one years ago complain about paint them, say hard read , they really stick out in water, coon go for them, I try dull in vinegar or something once an ruin bunch them

10-15 years sounds like, if you change all of them now, you won’t have to worry about the next time they need changing. Stop checking yearly!

If the CO complains tell him to check your other traps and they will be fine.

It isn’t your problem if it is hard for them to read. As long as the tag is there, they can go someplace. The disdain you have for construction workers, I’m shocked you care what a CO thinks!!

Yeah, your water traps. Just attach them and paint or tear like normal. Put tags on before!

If Iowa says they have to be tagged, then tag them, who cares if some green jeans can’t read. You could beat that in court.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7573147
04/30/22 12:00 AM
04/30/22 12:00 AM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline OP
trapper
coonman220  Offline OP
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Tags are important , to dnr, idk less about tags but important to me as clear back 20 years ago, the fine was $60 something a trap no tag plus confiscation, loose trap license 5 years maybe, a co told me that was each trap an get be expensive fast, who knows what is by now, I rember 30 some years ago a guy say was fine close grand for less 10 snares in car with no deer stops or tags, I don't snare next to none, I rember co. Be very picky on tags an deer stop not close less then whatever it or law is an check them, have not had any co check real close in long time but years ago, u be fool have more traps in truck then plan on set that day an better be legal , I can't imagine what fine be outstate like in wisc close here, probly far worse then this state, I wouldn't feel comfortable at home with traps hang outside dry from dip, with no tags

Last edited by coonman220; 04/30/22 12:07 AM.
Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7573160
04/30/22 12:34 AM
04/30/22 12:34 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Online content
trapper
yotetrapper30  Online Content
trapper

Oakland, MS
Dave you have 0% worry about untagged traps in your yard. PLEASE make that appointment I recommended.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7573161
04/30/22 12:39 AM
04/30/22 12:39 AM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Tags are important , to dnr, idk less about tags but important to me as clear back 20 years ago, the fine was $60 something a trap no tag plus confiscation, loose trap license 5 years maybe, a co told me that was each trap an get be expensive fast, who knows what is by now, I rember 30 some years ago a guy say was fine close grand for less 10 snares in car with no deer stops or tags, I don't snare next to none, I rember co. Be very picky on tags an deer stop not close less then whatever it or law is an check them, have not had any co check real close in long time but years ago, u be fool have more traps in truck then plan on set that day an better be legal , I can't imagine what fine be outstate like in wisc close here, probly far worse then this state, I wouldn't feel comfortable at home with traps hang outside dry from dip, with no tags

Now realize how important gas and sewer lines are… lol. Construction people feel the same way. They have important jobs also, even if you don’t care.

Yes, tags are important to Iowa. So, if you have a tag and it is within what is needed, that is all you need.

They aren’t going to take your license for 5 years “maybe” that is under special circumstances. Not for a first offense, and not for just not having your traps tagged the way they want. There would have to be multiple infractions.

If a couple tags are gone they aren’t hitting you with the max! Yes it is fined each trap that doesn’t have a tag. But, the green jeans has to go find each trap!

It is probably still $60, these trap fines don’t change that often. I can talk to my counterpart for Iowa in a few weeks and find out if you want.

30 years ago a guy said something? What else was he doing? How strict are they? I know I make sure I don’t go to New Jersey with footholds or Maine with cable restraints! I know they are super strict. 10 cable restraints in car without stops or tags? He had something else going on to initiate the stop….

I put traps in the truck that I plan to set, but I have more in there just in case I need to set more. I also run a smaller line than most and I also use a UTV for some and that vechile stays at those farms. With those traps in the vechile.

We don’t have a law on how many traps we are allowed to have in possession. Now if I go to other states I would make sure I was within their limits if they have possession limits.

All traps that I use in Delaware are legal for use in Delaware as long as I set them correctly. Thanks to the hard work of the Delaware Trappers Inc. I can posses 330 size traps. (I’m working toward getting them legal to set!)

So it wouldn’t matter if I had them all in the vechile or not, they are all legal here as long as I set them in the right place.

Who cares what Wisconsin laws are “probably” worse than? If you don’t trap there, it doesn’t effect you. Green jeans from Wisconsin isn’t going to take the drive into Iowa to write you a ticket for having traps in Iowa that are illegal in Wisconsin to set when they have never been in Wisconsin.

That’s like me not setting footholds in Delaware because they aren’t legal in New Jersey!

If they aren’t set for a species why are you worried about them? If they aren’t tagged but on your property it doesn’t matter! Now if you set them, sure you’d be breaking the law without tags. But, hanging there, it’s just steel. You are fine not having them tagged.

Give Lynne a call Dave, you need it .

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: New trap tags [Re: yotetrapper30] #7573162
04/30/22 12:40 AM
04/30/22 12:40 AM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Dave you have 0% worry about untagged traps in your yard. PLEASE make that appointment I recommended.

Please make that appointment Dave! We hope you get some help! You will be better for it.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7573196
04/30/22 05:55 AM
04/30/22 05:55 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
I was thinking about painting my trap tags blue this year wink

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: New trap tags [Re: DelawareRob] #7573230
04/30/22 06:49 AM
04/30/22 06:49 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Please make that appointment Dave! We hope you get some help! You will be better for it.

Yes please!

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: New trap tags [Re: DelawareRob] #7573245
04/30/22 07:14 AM
04/30/22 07:14 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota

10-15 years sounds like, if you change all of them now, you won’t have to worry about the next time they need changing. Stop checking yearly!

If the CO complains tell him to check your other traps and they will be fine.

It isn’t your problem if it is hard for them to read. As long as the tag is there, they can go someplace. The disdain you have for construction workers, I’m shocked you care what a CO thinks!!

Yeah, your water traps. Just attach them and paint or tear like normal. Put tags on before!

If Iowa says they have to be tagged, then tag them, who cares if some green jeans can’t read. You could beat that in court.

wink

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: New trap tags [Re: DelawareRob] #7573458
04/30/22 11:46 AM
04/30/22 11:46 AM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline OP
trapper
coonman220  Offline OP
trapper
C

n.e, iowa

Now realize how important gas and sewer lines are… lol. Construction people feel the same way. They have important jobs also, even if you don’t care.

Yes, tags are important to Iowa. So, if you have a tag and it is within what is needed, that is all you need.

They aren’t going to take your license for 5 years “maybe” that is under special circumstances. Not for a first offense, and not for just not having your traps tagged the way they want. There would have to be multiple infractions.

If a couple tags are gone they aren’t hitting you with the max! Yes it is fined each trap that doesn’t have a tag. But, the green jeans has to go find each trap!

It is probably still $60, these trap fines don’t change that often. I can talk to my counterpart for Iowa in a few weeks and find out if you want.

30 years ago a guy said something? What else was he doing? How strict are they? I know I make sure I don’t go to New Jersey with footholds or Maine with cable restraints! I know they are super strict. 10 cable restraints in car without stops or tags? He had something else going on to initiate the stop….

I put traps in the truck that I plan to set, but I have more in there just in case I need to set more. I also run a smaller line than most and I also use a UTV for some and that vechile stays at those farms. With those traps in the vechile.

We don’t have a law on how many traps we are allowed to have in possession. Now if I go to other states I would make sure I was within their limits if they have possession limits.

All traps that I use in Delaware are legal for use in Delaware as long as I set them correctly. Thanks to the hard work of the Delaware Trappers Inc. I can posses 330 size traps. (I’m working toward getting them legal to set!)

So it wouldn’t matter if I had them all in the vechile or not, they are all legal here as long as I set them in the right place.

Who cares what Wisconsin laws are “probably” worse than? If you don’t trap there, it doesn’t effect you. Green jeans from Wisconsin isn’t going to take the drive into Iowa to write you a ticket for having traps in Iowa that are illegal in Wisconsin to set when they have never been in Wisconsin.

That’s like me not setting footholds in Delaware because they aren’t legal in New Jersey!

If they aren’t set for a species why are you worried about them? If they aren’t tagged but on your property it doesn’t matter! Now if you set them, sure you’d be breaking the law without tags. But, hanging there, it’s just steel. You are fine not having them tagged.

Give Lynne a call Dave, you need it .

New gas, sewer an water lines, cost me $1000s for un needed retard stuff, I never order an be force on me, $1100 alone for hole dug out for new junk plastic water cutoff , for $1100, I dig out 3 with shovel an replace myself , I hope survive this without them knock out carport foundation an let it collapse against house or destroy 2 trees in front yard or leave holes an ruts uncover up way out easement an me have pay truck with fill dirt to fill in ugly mess,or be told the sidewalk is extra bill not easement an got shell out $2000 plus more immediately or else ! Not mention ruin tires an front end an wheel bearings in pickup drive thru it with const workers snicker an laugh watch me ,try get driveway with ruts an holes side , ya have tags in traps hang tree backyard is nesccary with neighbor cone over confront me with bunch questions about them an call law up about trees hang tree backyard

Re: New trap tags [Re: coonman220] #7573498
04/30/22 12:57 PM
04/30/22 12:57 PM
Iowa
C
CTRAPS Offline
trapper
CTRAPS  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Dave, for goodness sake and your own sanity, give it a break. You've complained about this for almost a year now. We get it, you know more than any of the engineers, city hall people and all the construction workers put together. Why you never got into a city planning position is beyond me. I know this is a financial burned to you, but many of us have dealt with the very same thing and we all survived.

PLEASE try to find something positive in your life for once. All your complaining, whining and worrying is going to do nothing but get you into an early grave. Take advantage of life as much as you can, get involved with a church or at least go talk to a pastor or health care professional before you have a breakdown.

No one is picking on you, if people didn't care about your well-being, nobody would say a word to you. You have a lot to be grateful for, try to recognize it before its too late.

Life Member: ITA, IBA & NRA. Member of SA, FTA & NTA
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread