No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Advice [Re: Del Gue] #7615225
06/29/22 09:43 AM
06/29/22 09:43 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I would recommend staying in the water as much as you can if you're going to trap public ground here. Just eliminates a lot of headaches. Especially the first part of the season as our season opens right during prime rutting time for deer so bowhunters are everywhere. Really wouldnt try running coyote traps on public till after deer gun season as most of the hunters are done by then outside a few diehards and rabbit hunters.

Re: Advice [Re: Del Gue] #7615234
06/29/22 09:57 AM
06/29/22 09:57 AM
Carlisle, PA
T
trap-alaska Offline
trapper
trap-alaska  Offline
trapper
T

Carlisle, PA
Two things; first - spend of of your time now trying to secure private ground to trap, you'll save a lot of frustration later if you don't have to deal with other people in your trapping area. Second, focus on quality sets, not quantity, initially. Make sure you pick the best location and bed (and anchor) the trap as good as you can. After you get smooth at making sets you can worry about getting faster and getting more traps in the ground.

Re: Advice [Re: Del Gue] #7615238
06/29/22 10:13 AM
06/29/22 10:13 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Del Gue
Hey everyone as I continue on down this road getting ready for my first real trapping season, I’ve come up with another question for you. What is your top piece (or piece’s) of advice? What tips and words of wisdom can you give a first year, mostly public land trapper? I look forward to reading your responses, and thank you for all the great answers you’ve given me so far. This place is incredible, and I have learned a TON from you all! God bless!

check your traps on public land before light or at first light and don't use any body grip where there will be hunters with dogs

mark your traps with something other than just your tag , long shot you ever see a stolen trap back again but with no way to ID it you got nothing.

set on sign if there is enough sign to set 2 then set 4

get between the dens and the food source closer to the dens the better think about it this way , your trying to sell doughnuts are you going to sell more standing outside an apartment building with people rushing off to work or outside a dinner with great food.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 06/29/22 10:15 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread