No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lock up, very important! Don't buy these traps! [Re: E.J. Kelley] #7643934
08/06/22 08:15 PM
08/06/22 08:15 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline OP
trapper
PAskinner  Offline OP
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by E.J. Kelley
I used to trap alot in pheasant dog sensitive areas and used many sleepy creek 1 3/4 traps targeting coyotes. Those little traps caught and held a ton of coyotes and never let a coon go either. front or back foot catch. They were not my first choice of traps but it wasnt because they didnt hold what was in them.

I've had the opposite experience... empty traps and catch circles. I bought a dozen, and sold half of them to another guy and he had the same problems... Maybe sleepy Creek changed their design at some point, but with the already offset trap and the extra give, the ones I had didn't work for me. Which is why I said to check them out before purchasing.
Another trap that a lot of people had these problems with was the 1.5 bridger before Minnesota changed the jaws. I had a dozen, not offsets... my little girl caught a coon right away in one, came home for me and it pulled right out. It wasn't caught low either. You could make them work with extra strong springs but it was the same thing, the jaw angle didn't allow for good lock up.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Lock up, very important! Don't buy these traps! [Re: E.J. Kelley] #7644025
08/06/22 09:31 PM
08/06/22 09:31 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by E.J. Kelley
I used to trap alot in pheasant dog sensitive areas and used many sleepy creek 1 3/4 traps targeting coyotes. Those little traps caught and held a ton of coyotes and never let a coon go either. front or back foot catch. They were not my first choice of traps but it wasnt because they didnt hold what was in them.

That was before the internet and trappers didn’t know 1 3/4 won’t catch coyotes lol

Re: Lock up, very important! Don't buy these traps! [Re: PAskinner] #7644080
08/06/22 10:22 PM
08/06/22 10:22 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Wouldnt the swivel have to be non working in order for that to happen? I noticed your traps were stuck in the grooves of your bedliner,, not allowing the trap to swivel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread