No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Butcher day [Re: k snow] #7644256
08/07/22 07:48 AM
08/07/22 07:48 AM
So. IL
pintail_drake04 Offline
trapper
pintail_drake04  Offline
trapper

So. IL
Well done! I just finished a batch the other day. I prefer cooler weather, so I waited a few extra days to butcher when the temp dropped from 90* to 70* after a rain. That makes the whole process more enjoyable. My Wife bought me a Yardbird drum plucker a little over 3 years ago. We have processed around 600-650 birds with it. It definitely makes the job go by faster. I prefer raising batches of 25-30 birds at a time. We try to find the Jumbo Cornish Broilers when we can. We routinely process our excess heritage roosters at 16 weeks of age, and they are no where near the size of the Cornish cross.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Butcher day [Re: k snow] #7644262
08/07/22 07:53 AM
08/07/22 07:53 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline OP
trapper
k snow  Offline OP
trapper
K

east central WI
Great process, Pintail. I built a little tractor sized for 24, works well for us. Those plucked do look like the ticket, we just don't do that many. I would have preferred cooler weather, but we both work and the birds were getting plenty big. I have heard these broilers can start dying off after 9 weeks, so I wanted to get the job done.

Are those Texas shrink bags? We started using them a couple years ago and they are awesome. Clean, neat and very nice looking.

Re: Butcher day [Re: k snow] #7644271
08/07/22 08:13 AM
08/07/22 08:13 AM
So. IL
pintail_drake04 Offline
trapper
pintail_drake04  Offline
trapper

So. IL
I raise my meat birds on pasture. Ours are typically 9 weeks old when I butcher them, as they grow a bit slower on pasture than being cooped up with a feeder. I have kept a Jumbo Cornish rooster and hen alive for over a year, just to see if I could. The hen would lay a tiny white egg ever 2-3 days. With Cornish birds, I'm a firm believer in let them be chickens, and they will free range well. I lock them up at night, and push them on new pasture the next morning.
Yes, I really like the Texas poultry bags. They work great, and are cheaper than vac-sealing each bird. I like that we can order custom labels to say whatever we like. I use them for my rabbits too. I think it makes everything look more professional.
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread