No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Do all North American grouse taste about the [Re: Boone Liane] #7679305
09/26/22 09:19 AM
09/26/22 09:19 AM
Mn
M
mskrtman Offline
trapper
mskrtman  Offline
trapper
M

Mn
I've only had ruffed and spruce. Ruffed are the best eating wild game, spruce are inedible in my opinion, they eat spruce needles and taste like it.

Re: Do all North American grouse taste about the [Re: Steven 49er] #7679396
09/26/22 11:55 AM
09/26/22 11:55 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Spruce grouse tend to be pretty gamey

Reminiscent of turpentine as one gal put it. They're a protected bird here but one occasionally falls during the heat of battle. I prefer eating grouse to all other birds.

Re: Do all North American grouse taste about the [Re: NonPCfed] #7679397
09/26/22 12:00 PM
09/26/22 12:00 PM
CO
R
Ringneck1 Offline
trapper
Ringneck1  Offline
trapper
R

CO
I've eaten blue, sage, sharptail & greater prairie chicken. Of those 4, blue grouse are easily the best and it isn't close. Sage n sharp tail were easily the worst in fact challenging the worst duck I've tried. Greater chicken was ok.

Blue grouse are good enough that they rank up there with pheasant. Both are a step below quail (scaled or bobwhite).

For what its worth....

Re: Do all North American grouse taste about the [Re: NonPCfed] #7679408
09/26/22 12:29 PM
09/26/22 12:29 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
I have eaten about all of the N.A. grouse species at one time or another, and Ruffed are, in my opinion, about the best eating of the bunch. Blue/Sooty next, followed by Sharptails and then Ptarmigan. Spruce/Franklin's are near the same as Ptarmigan if shot early, but they can get stronger tasting later. Prairie Chickens are on the par with Sharptails in my book, and Sage Grouse last. Full disclosure.....the Sage Gr. I ate have only been from frozen whole specimens I took in to mount and fried up after being skinned months later. Also, I have never eaten either Rock or White-tailed ptarmigan.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread