Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
How much to add? #7734852
12/04/22 10:22 PM
12/04/22 10:22 PM
Washington
J
Jingles Offline OP
trapper
Jingles  Offline OP
trapper
J

Washington
Recently purchased a commercial lure that was supposed to be real skunky and either I and my better half have both completely list our sense of smell, but can leave this supposedly loud lure container open in a 16 x 26 enclosed building over night and the skunk odor still is not what IMO very strong, consequently purchased an oz of tinctured skunk essence and looking for recommendations as to how much to add to the commercial long call lure?
Was thinking 1 to 1.5 cc's to the 4 oz bottle.
Thanks in advance for any and all replies

The job of a Patriot is not to protect his country but to protect the people from the tryannical government
Re: How much to add? [Re: Jingles] #7734884
12/04/22 11:06 PM
12/04/22 11:06 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
It will depend on how strong the tincture is. If it's really strong one drop might be a plenty. My personal preference is just enough you can smell it but not enough to overpower the other odors. I want the essence to carry the other odors not cover them up.

Re: How much to add? [Re: Jingles] #7734980
12/05/22 01:06 AM
12/05/22 01:06 AM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Welcome to Trapperman. It is normal for skunk smell to weaken some with time. That does not mean it is not still contributing to the Lures effectiveness. Add a little more skunk and see how strong it is in a few days?

Re: How much to add? [Re: Jingles] #7735089
12/05/22 09:18 AM
12/05/22 09:18 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Like Yes SIr stated. And my 2 cents.

The mere odor presence of Skunk essence acts as a carrier and distributor of a lures formula ingredients. Those under lying ingredient odors are what helps to make a well built durable product.

The right base will help hold the skunk essence and allow a steady odor release until the material is gone. Most think a good LDC lure has to burn your nose and jump out at you. I hear that often from many grass roots trappers in conversations with them and reading forum posts.

Don't judge or alter a finished product unless you know why it is built that way. Let the results speak for themselves.

Many trappers don't understand the details about skunk essence's value and its best use. A predators ability to detect the slightest scent trails whether they are airborne or ground deposited is remarkable. I use very little LDC on my daily trap lines. However in Big woods and vast open ground areas it can have great value.

It all depends upon your skill and experience as a trapper as to when to use such a product. In those conditions you want a product to hold and have a steady release of odor for weeks at a time if needed.

Just keep in mind it doesn't take much hint of a potential food/prey odor to get the attention of a predator on the hunt. They can pick up scent trails from quite a distance depending upon the terrain. The constantly moving thermals are our best friend working for us doing our bidding.

Tinctured skunk essence can vary greatly in strenght as to the amount of active that is used per tincture volume.

1/2 CC of pure quill per ounce will give a good presence in a call. How long it lasts will depend upon the base materials before it needs boosted again..Each time a bottle cap is removed more built up surface vapor of the skunk essence is released. All these conditions affect the potency of the skunk odor in the jar.

Re: How much to add? [Re: Jingles] #7735407
12/05/22 05:34 PM
12/05/22 05:34 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
I want to start distilling some of these "essences", I'm sure it's been done already, but I have started to really enjoy the skunk essence. Maybe it reminds me trapping, I don't know, but I do enjoy it, although the one skunk I just caught I got sprayed and I did not enjoy that at all. Bob, and anybody else who has experience in lures, is there a benefit for say skunk essence oil vs normal skunk essence? Obviously what I am calling oil is just concentrated skunk essence that has most of the liquid distilled off.

I also because of a lousy setup and inexperience have been I think the word is "tainting" a blend i put together, but I want to ask a question. Is there a point of no return in your opinion? Like I am not really protecting it at all, but figured I would just boil whatever is in there when I'm ready to use it. I am not going for anything specifically, I just am experimenting more or less. I figured out how to make the animal glycerin, thanks to my wife really, but I am after a natural preservative. Does one exist? I know salt, but didn't know if there was something else. Thank you for any and all answers, I love reading this stuff, very appreciated.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91