Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7897801
07/02/23 04:21 PM
07/02/23 04:21 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
Eggs as well as some other organic materials consist of a high percent of water. Under certain conditions and types of containers used, several things could contribute to the fluid content and how much water develops. You can siphon or work out the fluid if you want.

I have pulled off 3 extra buckets of egg volume overflow since late last night and 2 pm this afternoon. I may get one more bucket in the next 24-36 hours, that will give us 3-4 extra buckets which I predicted in the beginning. That will give us about 20 buckets. Right about 96 to 100 plus gallons.

Some buckets will be a bit shy of a full 5 gal. volume. Much of the volume increase due to the developing byproduct gas will be lost in the final blending stage. The trapped gas that was in the culture will be released at that point.

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7898385
07/03/23 12:59 PM
07/03/23 12:59 PM
uniontown pa
G
gutthooked Offline
trapper
gutthooked  Offline
trapper
G

uniontown pa
Them eggs are coming along great!!!

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Re: Big omelette time [Re: Mark McCary] #7898457
07/03/23 02:57 PM
07/03/23 02:57 PM
Northern Ky
T
Thumb Catcher Offline
trapper
Thumb Catcher  Offline
trapper
T

Northern Ky
I was wondering about the clear liquid myself and wondering if
I should be stirring more often ?

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7899731
07/05/23 08:51 AM
07/05/23 08:51 AM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline
trapper
CountryCletus  Offline
trapper

Warren County, PA
Looks great! I recently started a batch and was able to see where the 'omelet' level was from the outside of the bucket so I marked it in an effort to track the progress. I'm SO eager to see how this batch turns out- I made two significant changes which I believe may improve my final product. Hope to post progress pics in the coming week!

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7899989
07/05/23 03:40 PM
07/05/23 03:40 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
How I spent most of my 4th yesterday. Putting the final touch to our egg culture. A few buckets are still catching up but should be finished in a few hours or as late as tomorrow morning.

Conditions were different this go round. We usually run a batch every 11-12 days. This batch was 5 days longer. You can't control some environmental conditions. When we run in August it is a faster turnaround.

We were getting low on inventory so we had to move on it earlier then usual. A few photos of my days work in progress. Lots of prep and mix time when we roll through a big batch. I am glad this is done for the year. Next is Castor and Oil Sac work up followed by Bobcat and Beaver meat work. Time to clean out the freezers.

Welcome to a glimpse over my shoulder. Do you still want to be a lure maker??

[Linked Image]

Buckets lined up with all the ingredients pre measured for each 15 gallon bowl run.

[Linked Image]

This big mixer does a great job at thorough blending of all the ingredients. No dead spots or hot spots with this model.

[Linked Image]

Things are all blended nicely and transferred to the dumping station ready for unloading. Notice our "bowl scale" platform under the dump station arms on the floor. It is the Stainless Steel square box gives us an accurate weight and volume per load. The gal that is in that system has a sexy voice. smile When I get lonely she and I talk once in a while. LOL

[Linked Image]

Our custom designed bowl hoist / dumping station is a must. Full bowls are too heavy to control safely. We use it for 55 gal Drum loading and 5 gallon bucket loading.

[Linked Image]

The finished blended buckets are lining up in the background. All have been dated with the Start and completed finished blended date. A bowl with a "bonnet" in background keeps a batch from drying out until its ready for dumping. Moving air / evaporation and dryout occurs much faster then most realize.

[Linked Image]

How the final egg culture run looks before it goes into storage. Looks like yellow wet cake batter ready for the baking pan. It changes over the next few weeks as it ages.

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7900086
07/05/23 06:16 PM
07/05/23 06:16 PM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline
trapper
CountryCletus  Offline
trapper

Warren County, PA
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
How I spent most of my 4th yesterday. Putting the final touch to our egg culture. A few buckets are still catching up but should be finished in a few hours or as late as tomorrow morning.

Conditions were different this go round. We usually run a batch every 11-12 days. This batch was 5 days longer. You can't control some environmental conditions. When we run in August it is a faster turnaround.

We were getting low on inventory so we had to move on it earlier then usual. A few photos of my days work in progress. Lots of prep and mix time when we roll through a big batch. I am glad this is done for the year. Next is Castor and Oil Sac work up followed by Bobcat and Beaver meat work. Time to clean out the freezers.

Welcome to a glimpse over my shoulder. Do you still want to be a lure maker??

[Linked Image]

Buckets lined up with all the ingredients pre measured for each 15 gallon bowl run.

[Linked Image]

This big mixer does a great job at thorough blending of all the ingredients. No dead spots or hot spots with this model.

[Linked Image]

Things are all blended nicely and transferred to the dumping station ready for unloading. Notice our "bowl scale" platform under the dump station arms on the floor. It is the Stainless Steel square box gives us an accurate weight and volume per load. The gal that is in that system has a sexy voice. smile When I get lonely she and I talk once in a while. LOL

[Linked Image]

Our custom designed bowl hoist / dumping station is a must. Full bowls are too heavy to control safely. We use it for 55 gal Drum loading and 5 gallon bucket loading.

[Linked Image]

The finished blended buckets are lining up in the background. All have been dated with the Start and completed finished blended date. A bowl with a "bonnet" in background
keeps a batch from drying out until its ready for dumping. Moving air / evaporation and dryout occurs much faster then most realize.

[Linked Image]

How the final egg culture run looks before it goes into storage. Looks like yellow wet cake batter ready for the baking pan. It changes over the next few weeks as it ages.

Looks amazing, I can almost smell it from here!!

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7900090
07/05/23 06:19 PM
07/05/23 06:19 PM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline
trapper
CountryCletus  Offline
trapper

Warren County, PA
[Linked Image]

Mr. Jameson, you inspired me to take a look and see how it’s coming along. This is 5 days in. It hasn’t expanded a bit yet, but from what I’ve gathered, I’m probably a week and a half +/- from that point. Hope this looks right, lol- sure looks about right through pictures.

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7900091
07/05/23 06:21 PM
07/05/23 06:21 PM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline
trapper
CountryCletus  Offline
trapper

Warren County, PA
I can see it now… “those clusters of holes aren’t bubbles that popped, they are maggots!” Hahaha

Yep, I still want to be a lure maker!

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7900460
07/06/23 10:23 AM
07/06/23 10:23 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
Cletus I see you are getting the gas surfacing due to the bubbles on the top. Something is happening. I see you have installed your gas vent, good boy. smile

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7900473
07/06/23 10:56 AM
07/06/23 10:56 AM
Warren County, PA
CountryCletus Offline
trapper
CountryCletus  Offline
trapper

Warren County, PA
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Cletis I see you are getting the gas surfacing due to the bubbles on the top. Something is happening. I see you have installed your gas vent, good boy. smile

I learned from the best! I sure hope that's a good thing that's happening, hahahaha... I'll report back as soon as it becomes evident, but I've never had maggots in something where there weren't several wiggling around on the top, hahaha

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7900495
07/06/23 11:47 AM
07/06/23 11:47 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
That batch is too early for fly larvae. Once it advances to the cream paste stage is when the odor release of the culture will pull the flies to come and lay. You will see them wiggling thru the top layer of culture if you get infected.

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7900528
07/06/23 01:32 PM
07/06/23 01:32 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Bob, very well done! Great information. I hope this is saved in the archives.
No I do not want to be a commercial Lure Maker.....But I really enjoy learning about it and making some for my own use.
Your mixing bowl dumper is very intriguing!! A great piece of equipment for your needs.
When preserving the eggs are you able to just add the SB. powder directly to the eggs because of the good mixer you use?
This might help reduce water formation.
Would this be a good time to add a little antifreeze?

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7900617
07/06/23 03:28 PM
07/06/23 03:28 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
Mark whatever you add will affect the long-term consistency and odor of the batch. I can't tell you what to do with your batch, do some experimenting then see how it develops for you and your needs. Things don't always work out the way we think. I have had my share of wasted $$ and product in the beginning. If you want a runny product that can be done. If you want it to remain in a paste form, you need to calculate things to reach that goal.

Our mixer has various implements to use with it and variable speeds and an orbiting rotation system plus a built-in timer. Those details have all been worked out over the years. Anything we add gets blended in as it needs to be. You can't overdo it, or you can create too much trapped air inside your batch. That can be difficult to remove without some experience in dealing with that situation. Especially, if you need that batch done quickly for a specific reason.

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7900748
07/06/23 08:01 PM
07/06/23 08:01 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
[Linked Image]

Mine comes out a little thicker and darker

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7900955
07/07/23 07:34 AM
07/07/23 07:34 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
The longer it ages the darker and stronger in odor it becomes. There are reasons why we stay with the age/odor in our batch runs and have kept them that way for almost 50 years.

When you lose the fresh egg odor the reactions change. It also changes the natural egg color. That is not saying it is bad by no means.

It takes some practice to work batches consistently the same every time. Once our batches season after the final blending process they will thicken and hold that final condition for years as long as the container remains intact, and the lid is sealed. Knowing when to recognize in most cases that odor and color are related is key. This knowledge is a learned or taught skill.

Testing of the varying degrees of age of your product can reveal some interesting results. Aging more or less does make a difference. Size does matter pilgrims smile

Open air exposure or breaches to a batch of any product is detrimental over time and can surely cause problems in product quality.

Keeping your product sealed well is like keeping a band aide on a wound until it has healed with some skin closure, or it develops a scab. That protects it from invaders, flies/larvae, bacteria, airborne spores etc. Of course, many will learn this along the way.

Here is a knife full of a fully cured batch of cultured egg. Is it stiff enough for you? We can make it exactly the way you want it smile This if from a Sept. 2019 batch.

I keep a few buckets for comparisons over the years and quality control.

[Linked Image]

Re: Big omelette time [Re: Bob Jameson] #7901008
07/07/23 09:09 AM
07/07/23 09:09 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas