Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set #8026458
12/20/23 10:19 PM
12/20/23 10:19 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
How many of you that have used both sets for coyotes have had better results with the trench set. It seems this set has a better chance of the coyote placing its paw on the pan and not walking near the set missing the pan.

Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8026465
12/20/23 10:24 PM
12/20/23 10:24 PM
Northern Mn
rick olson Offline
trapper
rick olson  Offline
trapper

Northern Mn
I hardly make hole set's,but when I do it's a natural dog looking dug trench set.

Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8026472
12/20/23 10:29 PM
12/20/23 10:29 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Not sure what I make to be honest. It does have a hole and a little trench to it, but my set is off to the side back a little. A coyote or cat doesn’t have much of a choice but to step in it if they want to investigate the hole.

Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8026592
12/21/23 12:01 AM
12/21/23 12:01 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Mine is more what I'd call a step down. Trench is just long enough to bed a trap about 8" back from hole. All dirt dug out piled right behind trench like a k9 would dig it. Sides straight down 2 to 4 inches to trap. Trap bedded level, hole horizontal 6 to 8 inches down from from ground level. I want them to have to take one step in the trench to really work the hole. Not a fan of the trench sets that they have to take a step or three into to step on trap. Great control of foot placement.

To answer your question I prefer my double dirt hole set IF I have natural backing. The step down is for when there isn't any natural backing
My double dirt hole has just about as good of foot control as the step down.

For me it's as simple as using a bait or lure that gets as much attraction as I can get then the sets job is to control their foot placement as much as the coyotes will let u. The hole to me is just about controlling foot placement too. If I find the right natural setup in the right place that controls their approach and foot placement I won't even use a hole

Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8026604
12/21/23 12:14 AM
12/21/23 12:14 AM
New Mexico
C
ChadDaniel Offline
trapper
ChadDaniel  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
This year I started playing with the trench set. To be honest it was a more challenging experiment than I expected. I started with the trap out side the trench on the right side of the trench with the dirt from the trench and dirt hole on the left side of the trench. Miss city. So then I piled the dirt on each side of the trench and put the trap outside the trench at the very front of the trench. Miss City. Then I moved the trap into the trench with dirt pilled up on each side. I had a little better luck and caught some critters but the result were not convincing. Overall at the end of my experiment I begin to feel that the more I tried to guide their step the more crowded the set was becoming. So eventually I went back to the old 60degree dirt hole with a trap right out in front, offset, and 8” back. For me the results are much better. I will say that if I was to use a dirt hole to target cats for some reason I feel that the trench set would be the way to go. Overall it was a fun experiment but I don’ t think the trench set will be a part of my everyday trapping tool bag.

May God bless you and yours
Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: ChadDaniel] #8026613
12/21/23 12:30 AM
12/21/23 12:30 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by ChadDaniel
This year I started playing with the trench set. To be honest it was a more challenging experiment than I expected. I started with the trap out side the trench on the right side of the trench with the dirt from the trench and dirt hole on the left side of the trench. Miss city. So then I piled the dirt on each side of the trench and put the trap outside the trench at the very front of the trench. Miss City. Then I moved the trap into the trench with dirt pilled up on each side. I had a little better luck and caught some critters but the result were not convincing. Overall at the end of my experiment I begin to feel that the more I tried to guide their step the more crowded the set was becoming. So eventually I went back to the old 60degree dirt hole with a trap right out in front, offset, and 8” back. For me the results are much better. I will say that if I was to use a dirt hole to target cats for some reason I feel that the trench set would be the way to go. Overall it was a fun experiment but I don’ t think the trench set will be a part of my everyday trapping tool bag.

Don't pile the dirt on the sides. Let him come up on the sides and the back to check out the hole. Just make the hole as horizontal as you can at the bottom of a vertical face 6 to 8 inches down. If u got something in that hole he wants bad enough he's going to take that one step down on to the trap to get it. My trap is only bedded 2 to 4 inches deeper than the surrounding area. I like something they want bad enough they will dig for it. The fact that they can check the hole out from all directions makes the coyote feel more confident.

Last edited by Yes sir; 12/21/23 12:35 AM.
Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Yes sir] #8026642
12/21/23 01:08 AM
12/21/23 01:08 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Mine is more what I'd call a step down. Trench is just long enough to bed a trap about 8" back from hole. All dirt dug out piled right behind trench like a k9 would dig it. Sides straight down 2 to 4 inches to trap. Trap bedded level, hole horizontal 6 to 8 inches down from from ground level. I want them to have to take one step in the trench to really work the hole. Not a fan of the trench sets that they have to take a step or three into to step on trap. Great control of foot placement.

You have described mine to a T. I hardly ever use the standard dirthole after a season using the step down. The only double foot catches I make are with them.
[Linked Image]

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Yes sir] #8026648
12/21/23 01:22 AM
12/21/23 01:22 AM
New Mexico
C
ChadDaniel Offline
trapper
ChadDaniel  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Yes sir do you have a pic?

May God bless you and yours
Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: ChadDaniel] #8026678
12/21/23 04:30 AM
12/21/23 04:30 AM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
The trench set is a decent early season set to use before freeze up.
But they are more work to construct and I almost always get a face full of dirt when building the set.
Their are many other simple sets that will catch coyotes just fine and are easy to make!

Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8027022
12/21/23 12:17 PM
12/21/23 12:17 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
I like the trench set it gives deep pad catches. I make mine in the shape of a V and pile the dirt on the sides.

Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8027175
12/21/23 03:07 PM
12/21/23 03:07 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8027198
12/21/23 03:25 PM
12/21/23 03:25 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
I’ve gotten away from hole type sets because targeting exact foot location seems to be beyond me. ‘Learned the pipe dream set and never looked back.

Never too old to learn
Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Teacher] #8027305
12/21/23 05:44 PM
12/21/23 05:44 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by Teacher
I’ve gotten away from hole type sets because targeting exact foot location seems to be beyond me. ‘Learned the pipe dream set and never looked back.

How does it work better for you? Is it due to the coyote staying working the set longer thus giving it more of a chance of getting caught? I had some success with the set but here in Idaho due to quick freeze up in the fall, the pipes have to be placed in the ground early or I would never get them in the frozen ground.

Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #8027862
12/22/23 09:31 AM
12/22/23 09:31 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
I don’t like a set that puts the covered trap below grade to much if at all.

Good spot to collect snow and cause issues.

Plus, some coyotes will refuse a step down. It’s to pressured, like overly blocking a set.

Step downs can be good ways to keep livestock or deer from messing up a set, but they’re also a good way to cut down on (some) coyotes messing with your sets!

Re: Trench set vs. regular dirt hole set [Re: Teacher] #8028090
12/22/23 03:21 PM
12/22/23 03:21 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by Teacher

Do you feel it’s easier for you to guide with the pipe vs a hole? Or is there something about hole thats problematic? I’ve gone thru lots of changes with both types over years

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91