Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Nu-tan help #8030855
12/25/23 05:24 PM
12/25/23 05:24 PM
SC
J
jimdvan Offline OP
trapper
jimdvan  Offline OP
trapper
J

SC
Hey all,

Last year I shot a deer and finally got around to tanning the hide with hair on. It took me a while to get to it so it stayed in the freezer for a couple of months. I followed the Nu-Tan instructions and the hide started to look really good but I think after doing the oiling step I let the hide dry too much before breaking the fibers. Now its stiff as board and I'm not making much progress in breaking it.

Is it possible to re hydrate the hide and start over with the break-in?

Re: Nu-tan help [Re: jimdvan] #8030987
12/25/23 07:52 PM
12/25/23 07:52 PM
MO
cfowler Offline
trapper
cfowler  Offline
trapper

MO
Yes
Need to add moisture to it without soaking it. I’ve used a plastic spray bottle to mist water on the hide, then covered with a sheet of plastic to trap the moisture so that it absorbs. Have to mist it down several times over an hour or two til you achieve the flexibility you need to break the hide. I’d get it pretty moist and flexible. Then stretch and work it til dry. I’ve used damp towels to rehydrate a hide before too. Found I liked using the spray bottle better.

I trap for fun. I skin 'em for the money!
Grinners For Life-Lifetime Member, MO Chapter, Den #1
~You Grin, You're In~
Re: Nu-tan help [Re: jimdvan] #8031021
12/25/23 08:39 PM
12/25/23 08:39 PM
SC
J
jimdvan Offline OP
trapper
jimdvan  Offline OP
trapper
J