Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bait/lure burnout #8031401
12/26/23 11:48 AM
12/26/23 11:48 AM
Northern Nevada
O
Old coy Offline OP
trapper
Old coy  Offline OP
trapper
O

Northern Nevada
What’s your opinions on bait/lure burnout?. In areas that we set year after year in basically the same sets, I believe it happens more than not. I don’t think many trappers remove the bait/lure when the traps are pulled. I know I usually don’t and that probably doesn’t help with the burnout situation.

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8031431
12/26/23 12:18 PM
12/26/23 12:18 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Why would a lure or bait not be attractive unless a critter got pinched with that bait/lure?

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8031443
12/26/23 12:41 PM
12/26/23 12:41 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Yes it is a thing when setting jackpots.
Best to rotate locations.Ok to bait them occasionally(even in the off season) each year,but best to only set them every second or better yet third year.

Last edited by Boco; 12/26/23 12:47 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8031492
12/26/23 01:45 PM
12/26/23 01:45 PM
Georgia
sportsman94 Offline
trapper
sportsman94  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Im with Wannabe, I dont understand bait/lure burnout. Not saying it doesnt happen, but if you use something that they actually like and want to eat or wear, then getting it out of the hole or off the attractor should only make them more comfortable/excited with getting it next time. In my mind anyways.

With that said, predators seem to be weird sometimes. I set a small line the other day that was probably 80% dh with 20% flat sets. Using a mixture of lures/baits I had used before as well as new ones. The line went 10 days with pretty much no action besides blind sets. I mean nothing. I added different lures there in the last couple days and on the day I pulled they were all of a sudden a large portion of the sets worked. Im still not sure what was going on with that one, but if I only used stuff I used last year I bet I would have called it lure/bait burnout

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: sportsman94] #8031526
12/26/23 02:21 PM
12/26/23 02:21 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by sportsman94
Im with Wannabe, I dont understand bait/lure burnout. Not saying it doesnt happen, but if you use something that they actually like and want to eat or wear, then getting it out of the hole or off the attractor should only make them more comfortable/excited with getting it next time. In my mind anyways.

With that said, predators seem to be weird sometimes. I set a small line the other day that was probably 80% dh with 20% flat sets. Using a mixture of lures/baits I had used before as well as new ones. The line went 10 days with pretty much no action besides blind sets. I mean nothing. I added different lures there in the last couple days and on the day I pulled they were all of a sudden a large portion of the sets worked. Im still not sure what was going on with that one, but if I only used stuff I used last year I bet I would have called it lure/bait burnout

I’ve seen that too. Don’t think it’s the bait or lure. I think it’s a combo of disturbed territory and their natural patterns. That dirt hole or unnatural urine post wasn’t there last time through that area so they avoid it. The next time through it’s not as alarming. Say you added lure, so the next time through they think ok, someone else has been here so let me check it out. I see this when folks are on a schedule when trapping. 2 weeks then pull, 2 weeks then pull. It happens where my son works and he can go right behind a “professional” and catch critters first, second, and third night out. Is he better? Nope, he’s just taking advantage of someone else putting that critter at ease and reaping the benefits.

That’s why flat sets or blind sets work so well over dirt holes in my opinion, especially down here where there’s food everywhere. That’s also why it’s taken me forever to realize a very small amount of lure goes a very long way as well.

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Wanna Be] #8031537
12/26/23 02:36 PM
12/26/23 02:36 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Why would a lure or bait not be attractive unless a critter got pinched with that bait/lure?

A coyote can communicate fear/stress/danger to another coyote through sound, body language and scent

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8031570
12/26/23 03:19 PM
12/26/23 03:19 PM
Northern Nevada
O
Old coy Offline OP
trapper
Old coy  Offline OP
trapper
O

Northern Nevada
Do you feel that when you’re changing baits that it should be to a totally different base ingredient, regardless if who makes the bait? Or is it enough change to just get a different maker with the same base?

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8031571
12/26/23 03:20 PM
12/26/23 03:20 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Most of the time burnout is not very prevalent.
Although some Coyotes & Wolves will become extra cautious!!!!
I always leave the lures when pulling traps.
I also remove all flagging, stepping guides and open the set up so animals can freely walk where the trap will be placed next trapping season.
Old catch circles and sets often times become well used scent marking spots. This is good!
It is always good to have several different baits & lures to use.

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8031577
12/26/23 03:25 PM
12/26/23 03:25 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Alot of variables in this question. Coyotes can associate many different things at a set as danger which can can contribute to lower catch rates in thr future. Some lures lose their intrest to a coyote once they get a good close up smell of it and some lures they want more of the more they smell of them.

I've got locations I've tested the same formulations at multiple time in a year and some formlations probably 15 plus times over several years times. With just as much intrest as the first time using it. I've got test locations that I've used for years that are golden. Get tons of visits and tons of action but make a set their during trapping season and I'm doing good to pickup a couple pups there each year.

I do believe changing a lure/bait can help sometimes but I believe there are other factors that can cause coyotes to be cautious at sets too after previous interactions. Coyotes can smell way more at the set than just the bait and lure. They can tell the difference between you walking through an area and you kneeling down for 5 minutes and making a set. I've even went as far as testing a dh baited with the same bait, one with a non-functioning trap in front of it and one with a dug trap bed but no trap in it a foot and a half away. And can say with full confidence that trap made a big difference to some coyotes.

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8031583
12/26/23 03:36 PM
12/26/23 03:36 PM
Northern Nevada
O
Old coy Offline OP
trapper
Old coy  Offline OP
trapper
O

Northern Nevada
I think that the coyotes that have seen others caught at a location are definitely leary of the catch circle. coyotes that come to the sets that haven’t actually seen the animal caught can tell that there was a stressed animal there. I think they are more apt to cautiously work that set. For me fresh catch circles haven’t been a reliable source of repeat catches.

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8031590
12/26/23 03:42 PM
12/26/23 03:42 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Old coy
I think that the coyotes that have seen others caught at a location are definitely leary of the catch circle. coyotes that come to the sets that haven’t actually seen the animal caught can tell that there was a stressed animal there. I think they are more apt to cautiously work that set. For me fresh catch circles haven’t been a reliable source of repeat catches.

Sometimes there's a fine line between caution and curiosity. Alot of time a remake is golden around here but I've had years that they weren't.

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Yes sir] #8031652
12/26/23 05:05 PM
12/26/23 05:05 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

A coyote can communicate fear/stress/danger to another coyote through sound, body language and scent

Yep! This is what often happens when you start slamming in a bunch of dirt holes. I’m using a few dirt holes now. Cause = it’s cold here. Hunger. Often over rides common sense in a coyote. I am convinced that 90 % of the time. A dirt hole is a teaching and educational tool to other coyotes. That’s why I hate to use it Except when necessary! And leaving lure behind?????? Why??? Pick up that grub stick or bamboo stick or Qtip and take it with you. You’re only fooling yourself. If you think you’re not educating at least 1 Coyote. It’s part of the game. Think = Long Term !

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8031655
12/26/23 05:08 PM
12/26/23 05:08 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
I change lure = every other year. Still James Lucero lure. But I have so many of his old stuff. I just right down what I use. And on what ranch. Then rotate it. KEEP A LURE LOGBOOK!

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8031683
12/26/23 05:47 PM
12/26/23 05:47 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

I've always carried 4 or 5 different lures and 1 bait when setting a line. For many years, I have swapped all the lures and the bait out for the 2nd day of setting.....same property. Usually, after a couple or 3 days of checking and remaking, I'll swap all lures and the bait again.
I keep a good selection on hand.
[Linked Image]

I also go out of my way to vary the appearance of dirthole sets...big hole, little hole, two holes, smooth pattern, rough pattern, trench-type, 45° holes, 90° hole, etc.them!

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 12/26/23 05:59 PM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8031892
12/26/23 10:00 PM
12/26/23 10:00 PM
Georgia
sportsman94 Offline
trapper
sportsman94  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Swamp, I want you to write me into your will for that big iron in the upper left corner. I’ll dispose of the lure/bait selection as well while I’m there grabbing that!

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: sportsman94] #8032029
12/27/23 12:15 AM
12/27/23 12:15 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by sportsman94
Swamp, I want you to write me into your will for that big iron in the upper left corner. I’ll dispose of the lure/bait selection as well while I’m there grabbing that!

I may have told you the story of that trap when you were here: it was gave to me by an old Okefenokee beekeeper/bear houndsman about 25 years ago. It is a Newhouse #5 with teeth...never modified. It was still attached to a chewed/clawed up 8' fat-lightered log as a drag. It had been lying in his yard for 30-plus years. It is amazing that it wasn't pit rusted.

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8032365
12/27/23 01:54 PM
12/27/23 01:54 PM
GA
C
canebrake Offline
trapper
canebrake  Offline
trapper
C

GA
I'll be dang if I'm gonna try to dig bait or lure out of the ground when I'm pulling traps...

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: canebrake] #8032392
12/27/23 02:56 PM
12/27/23 02:56 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by canebrake
I'll be dang if I'm gonna try to dig bait or lure out of the ground when I'm pulling traps...

The guys that do it usually put it on something that easily removed

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Yes sir] #8032495
12/27/23 05:45 PM
12/27/23 05:45 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by canebrake

The guys that do it usually put it on something that easily removed

Why would anyone do this^^^??

The critters come along, smell it, there is no trap there....they dig at it...and move on....not spooked.

A lot of overthinking things is what this thread is about....

Re: Bait/lure burnout [Re: Old coy] #8032526
12/27/23 06:28 PM
12/27/23 06:28 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Bingo, Swamp Wolf

You may actually find the opposite is occurring. You are conditioning a predator with an interesting odor. Most likely causing them to visit, mark it and move on. No trap, no fear, no concern. Then the next one comes along and does the same thing. ETC. Then this cycling may go on for months with each individual animal marking, digging, scratching at the odor until the odor has dissipated.

However, the animals continued marking with urine, feces, rolling on occasion and getting hair and trace hair oils at the location. All this activity keeps the location of interest for some time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91