No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8028951
12/23/23 04:23 PM
12/23/23 04:23 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
The best gift I received

The best gift I have ever received is my bow. I got it 2 years ago, and I got it from Santa. When Christmas came, Santa came down my stove pipe through my stove and into my house. We always leave cookies and milk and carrots for the reindeer. One year I left Mountain Dew for Santa and one time I made reindeer food.

On christmas morning I woke up at like 5:00 in the morning and woke up Emily, who is my sister and John he is my brother. Then we go down stairs and go through our stocking. Then we go wake up our mom and dad. We can't open our presents until my mom and dad have had their coffee.

Then we opened the presents that our mom and dad got us. I had got my first knife in one of my presents that year. Later that day we went up to our grandma and grandpa's house. We eat lunch and play games at their house with our aunts, uncles, and cousins. If it is nice out we will play basketball. My grandparents have cows and they have hay bales and one time we played tag on the hay bales, it was really fun.

Later when we get home we put everything we got in our rooms, take a shower and brush our teeth and then go to bed. I woke up in the morning and went outside and play with everything I got. THE END

Name: Tyler Joe Rolf

Date of birth: 10/05/2010 13 years old

State: Kansas
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yukon John; 12/23/23 04:26 PM.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8029243
12/23/23 09:05 PM
12/23/23 09:05 PM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
These are great!!!

I'm glad I don't have to judge this. I'd have a rough time doing it.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8029415
12/24/23 01:24 AM
12/24/23 01:24 AM
Minnesota
B
BeLiSlE330 Offline
trapper
BeLiSlE330  Offline
trapper
B

Minnesota
Very nice!

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: BeLiSlE330] #8029442
12/24/23 02:26 AM
12/24/23 02:26 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by BeLiSlE330
Very nice!

Better hurry up Belisle. You have less than 24 hours to get YOUR story and drawing submitted.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8029970
12/24/23 03:35 PM
12/24/23 03:35 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
Evan Duliba Age:11

The best gift I ever gave to someone is a rideable tractor I made. But let me go back a few years to when my cousin Camden was born. By the time Camden could walk he had a never ending love for trucks. His dad was a mechanic so like *big shocker*. His third birthday was February 2 and it was November 13 so I knew I needed to hurry. So in my bed that night I made plans for it. The next day I went out to the barn and set to work. I started with a large 2x1’ box then… I figured out that if I put the seat on the box it would look really weird. So I took a 3’ long piece of 2x4” and put it on bottom of the box so that it stuck out on 2’ on one side. Next I stacked up six boards on the other side of the 2x4’’.I then cut out some rounded boards and made the seat. I then made 4 wheels 1 of which was broken so I braced it with 2 circular boards. I also made a few accessories including: a steering wheel, a speedometer, a light switch, a throttle and gear sifter lever, and exhaust pipe. Then I asked my dad for some spray-pant started spraying. I managed to paint it all perfectly, definitely not giving the shop floor a little green Christmas-cheer. In the end I was really happy with the outcome. But there was just one problem… it was November 19 .wow. I waited until Christmas Eve at a family gathering and brought Camden and his parents out to the driveway where the tractor was propped up on one wheel. Camden immediately hopped on and rode it down the driveway, barley missing a tree and sailing into the neighbors’ yard. Cam was so excited I think this is going to be a Christmas Camden remembers for a long time! Thanks for listening and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

The End

evan pic.jpg

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8030042
12/24/23 04:53 PM
12/24/23 04:53 PM
Illinois
C
Codyedw_1016 Offline
trapper
Codyedw_1016  Offline
trapper
C

Illinois
It all started in a fairly populated area where a boy named Christian lived with his foster parents. His family was nothing like him and had none of the same interest as him. They were a very neat and proper family who lived in an upper class neighborhood. Christian had lived with this family for about 6 months now while he waited to find a permanent family. Both of his parents died in a car accident 15 months ago, right before he turned 14. He had been in and out of foster homes every couple months waiting till a family wanted him forever. While he was living with the Baileys he had the opportunity to go to a private academy. He loved it there and had a few good friends. The only downside to going to a private school is none of the kids were like him. They all came from upper class families and didn’t have the same interests as him. Christian had a huge love for the timber, just being in the timber brought an amazing amount of joy to him. It all started when he was younger..

His dad grew up trapping with his father and would always tell Christian the adventures he had been on. John his father was never able to take Christian to do those things due to him always having to work to provide for his family. His mom had many health problems and was home bound since Christian was 7. That was how his parents died, they were rushing to a hospital because the doctors needed to complete an urgent procedure. His dad was speeding and accidentally ran a redlight and got hit by a semi truck. After his parents had their accident Christian found his gift they were going to give him on his birthday. It was a book titled Woods Runner by Gary Paulsen, Christian cherished that gift and read it all the time. It made his urge to be out in the woods even stronger. Everyday, day and night he would pray that he would get chosen by a family who lived the same life his father had done. A family who focused on the simple things in life, loved nature, hunting, and trapping.

He didn’t know it but, that dream came true on November 28 , he had been informed he had been chosen by this family to be adopted by them. Christian was beyond ecstatic to have a forever family before he knew anything about this family. All he knew is that they wanted him, they wanted him! He got to visit his new family, the Jenkins, the whole ride there he couldn’t sit still. When he got there he immediately had the feeling of home. It was a medium sized, white farmhouse, with a red barn, and chickens pecking the ground in front of the porch. A man walked out and came up to Christian and shook his hand.

“Pleased to meet ya boy, the names Sam and I’m assumn’ yer Christian?” he said while giving me a firm handshake. One firmer than I’ve ever felt from anyone.

“Yes sir, that’s me that’s a mighty fine hat you got on there” I replied to hopefully my new dad. He was wearing a very finely made raccoon pelt hat with the tail hanging off the back.

“Oh yeah this old thing, I caught this one a few years ago and my old hat was fallin’ apart and needed replaced.”He led me in the house to introduce me to his wife Martha who was standing at the stove cooking what smelled like to me venison. Their house was pretty much exactly how I pictured it to be. Hardwood floors, very dark woodsy colors, animal mounts, and hides covering the walls leaving very few bare spots. I knew this was meant to be my home, everything about it all seemed perfect.

Today is the day I will hopefully be able to live forever with the Jenkins. It was December 2, Christmas was in about a month and this was the best gift in my entire life, besides the books my dad left for me. I packed my suitcase full of all the things I had taken to all my homes. Clothes, hygiene items, all the basic necessities of life, and my book. I couldn’t forget my book that was one of the last things I had left of my parents. When I got to the house Sam and Martha were standing out on their porch and came out to meet me when I got out of the car. Sam helped grab my suitcase and carry it inside for me. When I got inside for the second time of my life I knew I would be walking through this door many more times. The smells of freshly fried potatoes and steak hit me when I had taken a few more steps into the walkway getting closer to the kitchen.

For the next couple of days Sam pretty much just helped me get my room organized and get me settled. During that time he kept asking questions about me just to get to know me better. It felt amazing to know someone cared about me enough to actually get to know me. Sam would occasionally ask me questions about things I wanted but never had the opportunity to do. I told him the first thing that came to mind was to be able to trap a muskrat. Telling Sam that made me feel a little silly due to the fact he had probably trapped many muskrats during his life.

It was now Christmas morning and I’m laying upstairs waiting to hear if mom and dad were up yet. It feels really weird to call them that but, that's what they are to me now. When I first started hearing footsteps across the hall I got up and got cleaned up before breakfast. I got down to the bottom of the stairs and saw something sitting at my seat at the table. It was a trapping basket with a coon tail hat, some beaver mittens and a few 110 conibears inside. I stood staring into the basket in disbelief until Sam came up behind me.

“When you said you wanted to be able to trap a muskrat I knew I would be able to make that dream come true.” He said as he put his hands on my shoulders.

“I can't believe you would give this all to me. This is the most special thing anyone has ever given to me!” I replied as I turned around to give Sam a hug. He hugged me back and I immediately felt like I was 7 again hugging my very own dad. It brought a lot of sadness to me but also brought so much joy.

“I planned on maybe after your ma made breakfast, me and you could go out on the creek and make a few sets.” Sam said as he walked around the table to his seat.

That weekend of trapping muskrat Christian and Sam harvested 10 muskrat on the creek. It was the first of many times they spent trapping together. It almost became a tradition to go trapping on Christmas Day. Even if it was freezing cold they managed to at least go make one set. That tradition lived on when Christian would bring his own children to visit their grandparents for some good cooking, memories with family, and of course trapping.

Cody Edwards, 15, Illinois

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Codyedw_1016; 12/24/23 04:56 PM.
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8030045
12/24/23 04:56 PM
12/24/23 04:56 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
[Linked Image]

My favorite Christmas gift is giving to the less fortunate. The drawing I drew was to show what the true meaning of Christmas is. The true meaning of Christmas is to celebrate the birthday of our savior, Jesus Christ. Lately it has felt that Christmas has become more about me receiving gifts rather than giving. At my school we do an annual change drive to raise money so that the school can donate gifts to the less fortunate families in our community. This year me and my sister got very involved because our teachers taught us the importance of giving to those that are less fortunate. A very important part to me was that these are my classmates or people I have known my entire life that are struggling and may not receive Christmas gifts like I do.

The change drive reminded me that Christmas is not only about getting the presents I want but remembering that Jesus Christ was born on Christmas and that is the true meaning. Knowing that Mary and Joseph faced a lot of hardships throughout the pregnancy and even the fact that Jesus was born in a manager and not in an inn continues to show the hardship. While the families in my community do live in their houses, they do not have everything that they may need like clothes, coats, boots, or other necessities. They are going through their own hardships in life and may just need a little help. My older sisters have also been involved in the change drive when they were in high school and have talked about the fact that most of the presents were necessities like clothes and that these kids were not just getting toys.

While I am super excited to open my gifts on Christmas and see all of the items my friends and family bought me. I thought it was important to remember that Christmas is about the love and hardship that is shown through the life of Jesus Christ. That everyone in this world goes through hardship and around holidays that can be even more difficult. I think that my faith has influenced how I look at Christmas now and that things aren’t always like they may seem. Some of my friends may be going through hardship and I don’t even know it, which is why the change drive became so important to me. To wrap this up I hope that everyone has a Merry Christmas and can spend the holidays with their loved ones.

Grace Woodall 13 from Michigan

Last edited by trappingthomas; 12/24/23 05:01 PM.
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8030047
12/24/23 05:02 PM
12/24/23 05:02 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
Can't figure out how to make the pic. bigger.

Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8030048
12/24/23 05:04 PM
12/24/23 05:04 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Wow, some really amazing stories and pictures showing up here. GREAT job, kids.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8030051
12/24/23 05:07 PM
12/24/23 05:07 PM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline
trapper
W

North Dakota
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: WakopaWalker] #8030120
12/24/23 06:31 PM
12/24/23 06:31 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
Nice entry, WakopaWalker. But you need to do 2 things yet. We need you to type in your story here, and give us your full name and age.

Joe Goodman

Long-time Staff Artist at Fur-Fish-Game magazine
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8030126
12/24/23 06:42 PM
12/24/23 06:42 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
All right, there's only 3 1/2 hours left in the contest!!! I see some VERY well done entries!! I am so excited to see so many kids involved this year!! HOWEVER, there are still some issues with some of your entries, kids. You MUST TYPE your story into with your pictures! NO photocopies allowed. NO EXCEPTIONS! Jude Caleb Lujan from North Idaho, John Logan Lujan, Katherine Bonine, Trapping Thomas!! THIS MEANS YOU! Please have your folks or an adult help you if you are not able!! Ihave messgaed as many of you as I can. These rules were spelled out plainly from the beginning. So please follow through with this!!! There are some terrific entries this year!! WoW!! I am blown away!!

You have until 9 pm Eastern time TONIGHT TO POST AND MAKE THESE CORRECTIONS!! If ANY MEMBERS HERE KNOW THESE CONTESTANTS WHO HAVE NOT FINISHED THEIR ENTRY, PLEASE CONTACT THEM BEFORE ITS TOO LATE. I HAVE PRIVATE MESSAGED THEM AND POSTED THEM HERE, IN HOPES THEY WILL MAKE THE CORRECTIONS AND BE ELIGIBLE.

GOOOOD LUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!

Joe Goodman

Last edited by JoeGoodman; 12/24/23 07:04 PM.

Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8030129
12/24/23 06:45 PM
12/24/23 06:45 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Hey kids hope y'all were good this year. Santa is in Spain right now and will be headed this way before too many more hours I'd imagine.

https://www.noradsanta.org/en/map

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8030252
12/24/23 10:06 PM
12/24/23 10:06 PM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
And the contest is now closed for 2023!!! Winners will be announced at 9 am tomorrow.
Thanks to all who entered and posted!!!

Joe Goodman

Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8030547
12/25/23 10:29 AM
12/25/23 10:29 AM
Ohio
J
JoeGoodman Offline OP
trapper
JoeGoodman  Offline OP
trapper
J

Ohio
And here are the winners of my Annual Trapperman Kids Art & Writing Contest.....

In 3rd Place, and winner of $50 plus a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package..... John Logan Lujan, Age 8 from Idaho!
Your detailed drawing of you in your room writing the letter to Santa really impressed the judges! Congratulations, John!!

In 2nd Place, and winner of $75 plus a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package..... Evan Duliba, Age 11 from New York!
We loved the fact that this was the best gift YOU ever made and gave. Very creative! And the trtactor drawing was excellenet in perspective and accuracy. Congrats, Evan!

AND in 1st place, and winner of $100 plus a JoeGoodmanPrints.com prize package.... is Grace Woodall, Age 13 of Michigan!
Grace, we LOVED your story of the true meaning of Christmas, and how giving is so much more important than receiving!!! Congratulations, Grace!!!

And that's not all.....EVERY kid that entered the contest will receive one of my "Master Trapper" hardcover books, written by Tom Miranda!! All you kids need to do is have your parents message me your name and address PLUS THEIR PERMISSION and we will send the prize packages out right away!!

Thank you to all who entered all who posted! And "thank you" to Paul Dobbins for allowing us to host this every year!
Merry Christmas to the whole Trapperman Family!!

The Goodman's
Joe, Julie & Carly
[Linked Image]

Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8030761
12/25/23 03:17 PM
12/25/23 03:17 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
[Linked Image]

Mr. Goodman, Grace is thrilled and sends her thanks! Attached is a photo I found of yourself and my family at a convention. Grace is the shortest of the bunch. She has grown a bit since the photo. God bless you and your family.

Last edited by trappingthomas; 12/25/23 03:18 PM.
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8031138
12/25/23 11:02 PM
12/25/23 11:02 PM
Interior Alaska
Coalcreekkid Offline
trapper
Coalcreekkid  Offline
trapper

Interior Alaska
Thank you for letting me participate in the contest this year.

"Gun control is for wimps and commies, listen let's get one thing strait, guns don't kill people I do." Earl Ramsay
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8031155
12/25/23 11:24 PM
12/25/23 11:24 PM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline
trapper
dustytinner  Offline
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
Congratulations to all the children! Well done!

Life member Minnesota Trappers Association
FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: JoeGoodman] #8032368
12/27/23 01:59 PM
12/27/23 01:59 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Congratulations to the winners and great job to ALL the contestants.

I really enjoyed Codyewd's story, it was great. You should keep writing Cody, I can definitely see your articles being published in the trapping magazines some day. Who knows, you might even become a famous author.

Coalcreekkid's gun drawing was awesome too!

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Annual Kids Christmas Art & Writing Contest!!! [Re: Panhandle] #8033540
12/28/23 08:25 PM
12/28/23 08:25 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
Originally Posted by Panhandle
Congratulations to Grace. What a wonderful story in praise of Our Lord, Jesus Christ. I also really admired Katherine Bonine's story. Great job to all the children. Thank you Mr. Goodman for your generosity and supporting our young trappers in their growth of our lifestyle. My son John Logan is very excited about his 3rd place win! He is greatful for the encouragement. Thanks again.

[Linked Image]

Great pic!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread