Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Bobcat fear of commitment....... #8025261
12/19/23 07:18 PM
12/19/23 07:18 PM
NE Wyoming
G
grubbie Offline OP
trapper
grubbie  Offline OP
trapper
G

NE Wyoming
As I posted before, I made some cage traps for bobcat. Set one and 4 days later I had a cat. Success! Remake the set, add another set a mile away just like the first one, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? This time I set up cameras on each set. A week after the sets, I got action on the cameras. Another small cat visited both sets but didn't enter. The next night the same cat visited the remake set, stuck his head in and two feet just inside the cage, then left. The traps are set to have the wind blow from the back of the trap, there is a cat toy with feathers hanging in the back on fishing line, using gland lure, MB predator bait, bobcat urine. My thoughts are maybe to put some stinky sardines in the back, sound like a plan? Prob catch every coon and skunk in the country. Or any other suggestions to get it to commit? I can't use deer, rabbit, beaver, etc. Comes down to it I will put a foothold a foot in front of the trap but I would really rather catch it in the cage.
Positive notes; The traps work, and even without sign I picked some good locations, I am getting them to the traps. Video here if you want to see the refusals;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiAw88oCo88

Re: Bobcat fear of commitment....... [Re: grubbie] #8025431
12/19/23 09:52 PM
12/19/23 09:52 PM
OR
W
wws Offline
trapper
wws  Offline
trapper
W

OR
In the beginning of the video it looks like the back of the cage is brushed in? I like to have it look more like a walk thru. Also a trail leading into the trap. I use beaver so I like to drag the chunk of meat all the way into the cage. I tie my bait up high to keep the focus up and not on the treadle. Looks like you are well on your way to catching some cats. Hope this helps, I'm sure there are some on here that have caught more than me. That's just what I noticed.

Western Wildlife Services

Re: Bobcat fear of commitment....... [Re: wws] #8025478
12/19/23 10:21 PM
12/19/23 10:21 PM
NE Wyoming
G
grubbie Offline OP
trapper
grubbie  Offline OP
trapper
G

NE Wyoming
Yes the back of the traps are brushed in. I have the gland lure at the back of the trap, outside of the cage. Brushed it in to keep the cat from getting its nose on it without entering the trap. Did it this way to keep it from getting lure all over the cat. The bait, which is meat based, is actually in a hole beneath the trap. If I don't connect soon or see more refusals on the cameras I will try opening up the back. Can't use any game meat here, maybe I could try a chicken leg tied to the top. Thanks for the reply.

Re: Bobcat fear of commitment....... [Re: grubbie] #8025651
12/20/23 04:00 AM
12/20/23 04:00 AM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
Because of places I’ve trapped and where I was stationed, I have some experience with cats in cages. Keep that back brushed in. It’s not for everyone but it worked for me. “Curiosity killed the cat” is real. He knows where that cage is and you can see he wants to put his nose on what you’re offering. What you’re seeing there is just a cat being a cat. If guys would camera up a bunch of foot traps they’d see similar stuff. We concentrate on cages more because they’re heavier and bulkier and we generally have less of them. We are more deliberate on placement. Keep that trap there and wait.

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Re: Bobcat fear of commitment....... [Re: grubbie] #8025843
12/20/23 10:39 AM
12/20/23 10:39 AM
Southern Nevada
C
cat_trapper_nv Offline
"Cat Master"
cat_trapper_nv  Offline
"Cat Master"
C

Southern Nevada
Get some of Mercer's cage trap trailing sent and squirt in on the pan. I had a cat refuse my cage a few years back and didn't want to wait for the trailing scent so I mixed some tinctured caster, with some cat urine and squirted that on the floor of the cage. Make sure you stop about 6" inside the cage. Caught it the next time it came through. The theory with this is the cat will try to rub its cheek glands on the trailing scent and set off the trap. A cage trapper later told me to to mix silvervine or cat nip with the urine so it's a paste and put that on the pan since that causes cats to roll as well.

No matter what you do, make sure you mix up the curiosity factor in the cage. Put some feathers or polyfil on the ground in the back (if you don't already have some), put some turds in the back, just anything new to get that cat curious again. Since the cat already checked out this new, weird, metal rectangle thing it may have feed its curiosity and won't be as interested next time. I learned that from some big time Colorado cage trappers.

Last edited by cat_trapper_nv; 12/20/23 10:40 AM. Reason: I'm and idiot and don't proof read till after I post. I'll learn one of these days

If traps work like the Antis say......I would have no fingers.

Re: Bobcat fear of commitment....... [Re: grubbie] #8025977
12/20/23 02:02 PM
12/20/23 02:02 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
When caging cats or any other animal I always use Trail Mate trailing scent or another similar type of product to give more interest for the animal by distracting them by leading a trail into the cage. I place a dab of our rubbing scent at the far end of the trigger pan or on a suspended object rag etc. hanging from the top near the rear of the cage with some other visuals.

Re: Bobcat fear of commitment....... [Re: grubbie] #8026014
12/20/23 02:54 PM
12/20/23 02:54 PM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

The great cage state Colorado
Get rid of the gland lure. Cats except for big old toms are leery of everything, the smell of a bigger cat in the cage will flip the caution switch.

Cages work when simplicity is kept in mind. A little dab of curiosity in the back and good squirt of urine should be all that's needed in 90% of the cases.

Re: Bobcat fear of commitment....... [Re: grubbie] #8026603
12/21/23 12:11 AM
12/21/23 12:11 AM
OR
W
wws Offline
trapper
wws  Offline
trapper
W

OR
Another thing I thought of is what’s on the bottom of the cage? I put peat moss down but I just don’t want them walking on the wire. Just a thought.

Western Wildlife Services

Re: Bobcat fear of commitment....... [Re: grubbie] #8027180
12/21/23 03:09 PM
12/21/23 03:09 PM
NE Wyoming
G
grubbie Offline OP
trapper
grubbie  Offline OP
trapper
G

NE Wyoming
Update- I caught the cat. I was going to change things up a little this weekend but I guess she couldn't wait. She was just teasing me for the camera.

Great tips, Thank you! On the bottom I just have dirt so they aren't walking on the wire. I like the keep it simple concept that Monster Toms mentioned. I was thinking that myself, maybe just some urine, a couple turds and a visual attractor in the back.
I'll keep the cameras rolling and experiment more with what you all have told me to see if I can get them to commit a little earlier.

Thanks again!

Re: Bobcat fear of commitment....... [Re: grubbie] #8044090
01/08/24 09:43 PM
01/08/24 09:43 PM
NE Wyoming
G
grubbie Offline OP
trapper
grubbie  Offline OP
trapper
G

NE Wyoming
Just an update- I haven't changed anything and I have caught 3 cats in a month. Two at one location and one at the other. The camera showed a fourth marking one of the sets last night, I am pretty confident I will have that one eventually. I will probably stick with the gland lure and the bait I am using as 1: it seems to be working, and 2: I have had a skunk and raccoon investigate the sets, and they stick their head in and back out.
I honestly thought I MIGHT catch one cat on this small acreage. I had no idea there were so many around. Someone trapping the pasture north of me has caught 4 cats in the same amount of time about a mile from one of my traps. Game warden says cat numbers have been down the past few years. I disagree.
Thanks again for all of the advice!

Re: Bobcat fear of commitment....... [Re: grubbie] #8044212
01/08/24 11:36 PM
01/08/24 11:36 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Originally Posted by grubbie
Just an update- I haven't changed anything and I have caught 3 cats in a month. Two at one location and one at the other. The camera showed a fourth marking one of the sets last night, I am pretty confident I will have that one eventually. I will probably stick with the gland lure and the bait I am using as 1: it seems to be working, and 2: I have had a skunk and raccoon investigate the sets, and they stick their head in and back out.
I honestly thought I MIGHT catch one cat on this small acreage. I had no idea there were so many around. Someone trapping the pasture north of me has caught 4 cats in the same amount of time about a mile from one of my traps. Game warden says cat numbers have been down the past few years. I disagree.
Thanks again for all of the advice!

Catching that many, the numbers may be down next year. That's how it seems to work here from what I'm told.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91